REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Universal MMA: Richmond or Vancouver? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/543659-universal-mma-richmond-vancouver.html)

shuturmouth 08-26-2008 04:29 AM

Universal MMA: Richmond or Vancouver?

which one is better? in terms of facility, equipment, instructors, etc.

SkinnyPupp 08-26-2008 06:10 AM

.........?

Drk 08-27-2008 08:36 PM

The only Universal MMA I know of is downtown Vancouver just over the Granville bridge.

mma_girl 01-19-2010 07:41 PM

um well all the instructors are the same - they travel there from vancouver and there back so its all the same instructors

but if you're saying people... i do think that the people at vancouver are better to spar with - they're more diverse and there are more people so there will definitely be someone your size

Brickface 01-20-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6002660)

definately not a mcdojo, the bjj portion's head instructor is marcus soares who is the highest level blackbet in canada. also used to be denis kangs old gym if i remember correctly.

SkinnyPupp 01-20-2010 08:04 PM

I wasn't really suggesting that this was a McDojo. Just that I've been seeing a lot of "MMA Gym" threads lately, and with the recent boom of MMA I thought that means we will be seeing a lot of them some time soon.

StealthFighter 01-20-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brickface (Post 6780040)
definately not a mcdojo, the bjj portion's head instructor is marcus soares who is the highest level blackbet in canada. also used to be denis kangs old gym if i remember correctly.

nah kang used to train with soares at gold lion muay thai on commercial drive. he might have dropped in to roll or give a seminar though. also don't think soares is with universal anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6780055)
I wasn't really suggesting that this was a McDojo. Just that I've been seeing a lot of "MMA Gym" threads lately, and with the recent boom of MMA I thought that means we will be seeing a lot of them some time soon.

if you want a mcdojo, go to kikara or champions. run by the same people. mcdojo to the max.

Ch28 01-21-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthFighter (Post 6780473)
nah kang used to train with soares at gold lion muay thai on commercial drive. he might have dropped in to roll or give a seminar though. also don't think soares is with universal anymore.

I think they cut all ties with Marcus and Denis. I remember the old Universal MMA website had bios of Marcus and Denis as trainers there.

Doesn't Marcus have his own gym in North Van? (Coworker told me this awhile back)

StealthFighter 01-21-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 6780567)
I think they cut all ties with Marcus and Denis. I remember the old Universal MMA website had bios of Marcus and Denis as trainers there.

Doesn't Marcus have his own gym in North Van? (Coworker told me this awhile back)

looks like he teaches at burnaby/new west. langley too.

http://www.marcussoares.com/Vancouve...-schedule.html

azzurro32 02-01-2010 12:32 AM

Bumping...

I'm considering checking the Richmond one. Anyone actually train or have experience with them?

I'm a beginner. I don't want a mcdojo but I also don't want to get thrown into a team that trains pro lol.
Posted via RS Mobile

red_sir 02-22-2010 11:39 AM

Did you end up checking out the Richmond Universal azzuro?

Richmond location is a great place to train for beginners. Smaller classes means more attention from the instructors. But if you become more serious you'd definitely have to make it downtown more often (membership fees are good for both locations). More people of all skill levels to spar/roll with.

And for the record, BJJ at Universal is headed by Shane Rice, a Rickson Gracie blackbelt.

azzurro32 02-22-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_sir (Post 6827149)
Did you end up checking out the Richmond Universal azzuro?

Richmond location is a great place to train for beginners. Smaller classes means more attention from the instructors. But if you become more serious you'd definitely have to make it downtown more often (membership fees are good for both locations). More people of all skill levels to spar/roll with.

And for the record, BJJ at Universal is headed by Shane Rice, a Rickson Gracie blackbelt.

yup I checked it out. Just dropped by to watch a bit. Are you a member?

I think I prefer 10th planet jj better actually. I'm gonna do a free class at both places when I'm ready to enroll.
Posted via RS Mobile

suzuka84 02-22-2010 05:13 PM

there's many places in richmond - universal, 10th planet, the kb/mma place inside sport central, apex, creative fighters guild etc