REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 09-12-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

What'd you tell your mom...?

My mom's alwasy been very protective. more so with my sister than me, but still overall very protective.

When she found out my ex and i broke up, she'd call me everyday to make sure i was okay

anyhow when i mentioned that when i turn 19 i'll be getting my bike license, she freaked the fuck out. so i decided not to get it.

but i want it next year, anyone have any luck convincing their parents? just want to hear some stories, not really looking for advice since i doubt i can change her mind, i'll just do it anyways.
Advertisement
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
you shoulda been bugging them about it since you were 17, that way when you're 19 they're tired of hearing it haha.

i'd hold off on it, you've only had 3 years driving experience max. that's nothing.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeTech View Post
My mom's alwasy been very protective. more so with my sister than me, but still overall very protective.

When she found out my ex and i broke up, she'd call me everyday to make sure i was okay

anyhow when i mentioned that when i turn 19 i'll be getting my bike license, she freaked the fuck out. so i decided not to get it.

but i want it next year, anyone have any luck convincing their parents? just want to hear some stories, not really looking for advice since i doubt i can change her mind, i'll just do it anyways.

Ride a scooter first on the streets of Vancouver, that will totally change your opinion on whether you want a big CC bike or not. It also helps if you've been a car crash (or two). Those two things really shaped my view of whether or not I REALLY want a bike.

My parents are against it and are still against it. I still want one, I'll probably get one but not when I'm living under their roof.

Oh yeah, and like Ulic said, you need a good amount of driving experience before you should get your hands on a bike. Being a statistic is waaaaaay too easy.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Get more city driving experience under your belt and you will be glad that you did. Riding's all about hazard perception.

I wouldn't ride a 50cc scooter before getting a Class 6 because 1) even though your class 5/7 allows you to legally ride it, you don't have the training to ride on the roads 2) you most likely won't be riding with proper protective gear and 3) the scooter doesn't have enough power to get you out of trouble.

Take a course at PRS and see if riding is something you want to do... and oh, if you are still living under the same roof as your parents, you pretty much have no say if they are against riding.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I told my parents I wanted a bike after I took the course.. lol
my dad said go for it, as long as I let him ride the bike a few times
Machi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
my mom said absolutely no way i could get a bike....

....so i went and got my licence

then i asked her if she would co-sign a loan and she said no way she would ever do that for a motorcycle....

..... so i went and got aproved on my own and brought a bike home the next day.

i was 20 at the time. she warmed up to the idea after a few weeks. and now 5 years later asks lots of questions and listens to stories and seems to enjoy me riding.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

LOL,

My parents didnt even know i went to PRS, or if i was even interested in a bike.

Just came home with one and parked it in the garage next to my moms car.

Talked about it after. LOL.
yoall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Same story as RRxtar, parents said no way in hell was I going to ride but I was old enough to go out and get my license and buy a bike without bothering them. After a few months they did warm up to it. I feel 19 is a bit young though, you definitely want more experience on the roads before getting on a bike, there's nothing protecting you from even a minor accident like a car.
ak1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

well i got it when i was 19.
I guess it depends on how mature u think you will be with the bike
and driving experience is really important as well, u really have to monitor other peoples action a lot more carefully since it can mean death...
2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX GSR SE - Keeper
|<e|_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

this threads giving me bad ideas and I'm not even old enough to drive
BrendanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

someone once posted this b4....."if you need your parents permission, your not ready to ride." i got my class 6 when i was 23-24. told my mom and she told me to take a course first and i did. she was fine with it afterwards. now theres 3 bikes in the family, my brother, brother-in-law and mine
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith

grow up get some balls and get a bike if you want..shit do you ask your mom before you go to strip bars?
keepz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Parents had no objections to the idea of getting a bike, so I went out and got one.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Tech Team Mod

My parents co signed for my first street bike when I was 17.

2001 BMW M Coupe - Laguna Seca Blue
2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
2003 Honda CBR 954RR
dubzz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

My dad was originally against it, but I asked him to take the PRS course with me, and the course changed my dad's mind. PRS teaches you more than just how to ride a bike, stuff like hazard perception and survival skills.
kknater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
I don't get it

i drilled it into my mom since i was 16 or so.
i'm 20 now...and i finally learned to ride this summer.
even though she still disapproves, she didnt have much to say anymore.
be patient!
Minata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #17
B&S Sexy mod

i've been working on my parents ever since i got my 7L
my dad is looking to at getting another bike after 20 years of it being not financially responsible, but now hes retired and is good to go (my mom doesnt mind because his life insurance payout is pretty good ) He's fine with me getting one as long as i take the course (wouldnt consider riding without it anyways). My mom is deadset against it (when i first got the ICBC book on riding she threw it in the fireplace
But i'm 21, and have over 110k km of driving experience under my belt (in a tiny car) so i think i'm ready, and have the cash that i dont need any help from them. My mom still threatens to kick me out if i get a bike though
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #18

i dont think years of driving experience or milage driven matters much. it all comes down to the head you have on your shoulders. you have to KNOW whats going on around you before it happens. you have to know whats around the next corner before you see it. you have to know where every car or obstical around you is and what its going to do before even it knows what its going to do. you need the spidey sence. you have to not give in to peer pressure, ever. and you have to know exactly what your ability is, and never ride above 8/10ths of that ability. and to throw in some ninja shit, you have to be one with your motorcycle. you're either born a good rider or not. the course will make you a safer rider, but it wont make you a good rider.

i can almost say i feel more comfortable on my bike than i do walking down the street. 5 years of riding and roughly 40,000kms and no accidents so far.

Last edited by RRxtar; 09-16-2008 at 09:57 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
i dont think years of driving experience or milage driven matters much. it all comes down to the head you have on your shoulders. you have to KNOW whats going on around you before it happens. you have to know whats around the next corner before you see it. you have to know where every car or obstical around you is and what its going to do before even it knows what its going to do. you need the spidey sence. you have to not give in to peer pressure, ever. and you have to know exactly what your ability is, and never ride above 8/10ths of that ability. and to throw in some ninja shit, you have to be one with your motorcycle. you're either born a good rider or not. the course will make you a safer rider, but it wont make you a good rider.

i can almost say i feel more comfortable on my bike than i do walking down the street. 5 years of riding and roughly 40,000kms and no accidents so far.
i totally agree, but i've been driving for about 4 years now, and i think I've smartened up since i first started driving. and i'm ready to ride a bike,

i thought about the scooter thing actually. but why not just pay a little bit more and ride a bike instead? i'd enjoy it much more

even though i'm only planning on getting a zzr250.

i just need to save up for now. i'm thinking 7000 will do.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 PM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post

to add to this. when your riding, you have to have the mindset that everyone is out to kill you. im not meaning intentionally, but thats what you have to think. then ask yourself, how good is your reaction? everything about riding is the ability to react in a split second. you can't think out there, or over analyze, you do that and your in trouble. its all about reflex action. there were a couple instances this summer when i was riding when outta nowhere a car would make a sudden move or do a slow lane change, without warning, 5 feet in front of me. if i was in a car, i would've t-boned them, or drove into a lamp post. being on my bike, i reacted which saved me, moves i never thought i could do.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #21
Banned (BBM)

If your mommie is still telling you what to do at 21 it's time to move out.
FrostyFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #22
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
If your mommie is still telling you what to do at 21 it's time to move out.
your mom is going to tell you what to do until the day she fucking dies.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

i showed up with it in my house one day, and my dad just froze looking at me. then i got bitched at by my mom and dad for a good couple days.

now its all good. this was when i was 20.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
your mom is going to tell you what to do until the day she fucking dies.
Maybe your mother.......I'm not a mommas boy.
FrostyFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
Maybe your mother.......I'm not a mommas boy.
just because you dont listen, doesnt mean shes not talking