REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Muscle Memory (https://www.revscene.net/forums/549961-muscle-memory.html)

Berzerker 10-19-2008 10:09 PM

Muscle Memory

After a loooong layoff of training I have recently begun my way back to being fit. When I last worked out I was in awesome shape about 25lbs heavier all muscle than I am now. Reason I stopped working out was due to a car accident. I started very light with high reps just to get my muscles back into training mode. Have recently begun actual decent lifting weight.

Anyone else take a long layoff?? Year or more and then get back into it? I seem to be gaining strength and size pretty quick just wondering when the plateau will come.

Berz out.

SizzleChest 10-20-2008 04:41 PM

you're on the right track with the low weight, high reps. there is an anatomical adaptation phase that is usually 2-3 months for new weight room users, probably not this long for you. after 1-2 months you should be able to increase weights/decrease reps if this is part of your goals.

Berzerker 10-20-2008 04:46 PM

Oh it is for sure.. I plan to get jacked again lol. I hate looking down the rack at the weight I was lifting before and not being able to lift it now lol its a total mind fuck. Its been 1 month since I started lifting again and the change in my body already is awesome... I wish it would keep up the transformation at this pace but alas I know it will slow down soon. I plan on doing a Heavy week next week and I will see how the muscles react...

Berz out.

JDQuikSIR 10-23-2008 02:29 PM

hey berz give ma a shout sometime...we'll train sometime

Berzerker 10-23-2008 07:13 PM

Yea for sure bud.. you saw me before ;) damn I need to get that way again lol. I'll call you when I'm in town.

Berz out.

JDQuikSIR 10-27-2008 02:24 PM

yea u got my number...hear from you then...

Berzerker 11-03-2008 06:45 PM

Update: After 1 month of high rep low weight lifting I have started lifting heavy again.

My starting weight was an out of shape soft 193... Last night I was 199 with a huge change in body shape already. Keep in mind I have not been training for size yet so the next month of bulk training should be interesting.

So all in all... Muscle Memory is NOT a myth and its doing wonders for the body!

Berz out.

SizzleChest 11-03-2008 07:50 PM

what sort of supplements have you been taking?

Meowjin 11-03-2008 07:52 PM

Same thing here bro. Got in accident and was unable to workout for 5 months. I'm just back to hitting the gym now. Except i gained about 30 pounds.

Berzerker 11-03-2008 07:59 PM

No supplements at all and eating like shit. I figured the whole supplement and diet thing could wait until I was ready to start bulking. The last week has been eating right and I will start taking supplements soon. If I have been making this much progress without really trying... I can't wait.

Berz out.

Berzerker 11-03-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6104343)
Same thing here bro. Got in accident and was unable to workout for 5 months. I'm just back to hitting the gym now. Except i gained about 30 pounds.

Yea I go the other way... I lose weight at get all skinny when not working out lol. I am a hard hard gainer though.

Berz out.

RRxtar 11-03-2008 09:41 PM

i took 2 months off thru the summer and i was planning on just taking it sorta easy for the first couple weeks but my first week back i was feeling good and i actually lifted MORE than where i plateaued previously in one or two exercises.

granted 2 months isnt all that long of a time, but i lost weight on the scale and lost a fair bit of size by looking in the mirror.

Berzerker 11-06-2008 04:38 PM

Broke the 200lb mark again. I did some research and found that 2lbs muscle weight gain per week is about the most you can realistically gain without "enhancements"

I'm averaging about 1-1.5lbs per week so my conclusion is ... Muscle Memory FTW!! Starting eating right and tomorrow going to buying some Myoplex or the like for meal replacement while I'm working.

Berz out.

RacePace 11-06-2008 04:51 PM

Don't expect that to continue though after about a month or so.

hear-it-first 11-06-2008 06:46 PM

Just about to finish my whey protein.. what's Myoplex compared to the whey protein shakes?

Berzerker 11-06-2008 07:23 PM

Myoplex is a full meal replacement containing carbs, protein, and vitamins. Whey is just protein and usually needs to be mixed with a carb or fruits in order for it to be a true meal replacement. If you like Whey keep using it and all you need to do is toss in some oatmeal to make it a very good "meal".

Illuminate - Yea I'm just going to ride this out and continue to feed my body as well I can and hopefully it will reward me. Its been almost 7 weeks now with 2 weeks of heavy lifting and 1 week of proper diet. I am curious to see when the plateau will come as it innevitably does lol.

Berz out.

SR604 11-12-2008 03:01 AM

where do you get myoplex is it expensive?

JDQuikSIR 11-20-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6109776)
Myoplex is a full meal replacement containing carbs, protein, and vitamins. Whey is just protein and usually needs to be mixed with a carb or fruits in order for it to be a true meal replacement. If you like Whey keep using it and all you need to do is toss in some oatmeal to make it a very good "meal".

Illuminate - Yea I'm just going to ride this out and continue to feed my body as well I can and hopefully it will reward me. Its been almost 7 weeks now with 2 weeks of heavy lifting and 1 week of proper diet. I am curious to see when the plateau will come as it innevitably does lol.

Berz out.

get adequate rest...proper nutrition, and a change in workouts will keep you from plateau'ing ...i've been gaining roughly 5.2lbs a week in the past 4 weeks, been training pretty hard, like I said, give me a shout and we'll go throw around some weights...

Berzerker 01-30-2009 08:48 AM

Just an update.... I'm now back up to 210lbs. I look a little thick right now around the midsection from bulking (still have abs just don't look "skinny") and my strength is pretty much where it was when I left off. The gym, if you can call it that, I have been using is extremely lacking. I use the hotel "gym" and that consists of dumbells up to 30lbs and a universal machine that works half the time and binds on the weights the other half lol. I went to my local gym with Care and that's my basis for comparison on strength. I was actually surprised at the amount I could lift. There is no way to gauge how much your actually pushing on that universal machine lol. Going to have to bite the bullet and actually start paying for gym time while in Kelowna. Once I hit 215lbs I will start trying to lean out a tad.

Happy Lifting!

Berz out.

RacePace 01-30-2009 09:06 AM

lol I can never imagine myself going to a hotel gym for more than a day

Berzerker 01-30-2009 09:11 AM

When its 15 steps from your room... its hard not to haha.

Berz out.

TripleXXX 02-01-2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6254083)
Just an update.... I'm now back up to 210lbs. I look a little thick right now around the midsection from bulking (still have abs just don't look "skinny") and my strength is pretty much where it was when I left off. The gym, if you can call it that, I have been using is extremely lacking. I use the hotel "gym" and that consists of dumbells up to 30lbs and a universal machine that works half the time and binds on the weights the other half lol. I went to my local gym with Care and that's my basis for comparison on strength. I was actually surprised at the amount I could lift. There is no way to gauge how much your actually pushing on that universal machine lol. Going to have to bite the bullet and actually start paying for gym time while in Kelowna. Once I hit 215lbs I will start trying to lean out a tad.

Happy Lifting!

Berz out.

215's over weight, how tall are you?

Berzerker 02-01-2009 07:47 AM

It's funny that you would say I'm overweight and THEN ask how tall I am. I'm 6'3" and what is overweight and where are you getting your information? The Wii Fit Body mass index lol? Yea I'm heavier than the average person my size but I'm also a lot more muscular than most people my height.

Berz out.

RacePace 02-01-2009 08:49 AM

nah, that's not overweight, I'm 6'0 190 and skinny as hell (for a weight lifter)

abinga 02-01-2009 10:13 AM

BMI cannot measure lean muscle mass so you cannot assume someone is overweight.