REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Hair Salon that dosen't use thinning scissors (https://www.revscene.net/forums/552026-hair-salon-dosent-use-thinning-scissors.html)

trd2343 11-05-2008 11:19 AM

Hair Salon that dosen't use thinning scissors

I don't have a great skull shape, and my hair is really stiff, so I rather pay a premium to have someone who is experienced to cut my hair.

I just got a hair cut at a hair salon 2 days ago. I walked in, and they told me a experienced stylist will be around $40 for a cut. I was ok with it, as long as the stylist knows that they are doing.

10 mins into the cut and the stylist was almost done. Why? Cause she was using the thinning scissors for my whole head. Then she finished off my hair with a normal pair of scissors.

I was shocked. I paid $40 to have someone do something that could have been done for $20 or less? Or even DYI?

So, my question is, do any of you know any hair salon that actually have stylist that cuts hair properly? Not taking a thinning scissor and thinning my whole head.

I've been told, and also think, that a stylist uses a thinning scissor only when they actually don't know how to cut hair.

Farfetched 11-05-2008 12:42 PM

most $40 hair stylists should be able to do that.... you know if you tell them that's what you want.

Trinity 11-05-2008 02:19 PM

Didn't you post this in VAC off topic..?

djm 11-05-2008 08:14 PM

what is the name of this place

Spidey 03-23-2011 06:58 PM

using only thinnign scissors and regular scissors to cut your hair takes more skill than just using clippers to shave all the sides and back..a ssuming you are a guy at least.. i have the total opposite problem. i want a place that uses razors, scissors,a nd texturing scissors to cut and use the clipper as little as possible.. texturing is in and the "clean cut" look isn't.

instantneedles 03-23-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7358396)
using only thinnign scissors and regular scissors to cut your hair takes more skill than just using clippers to shave all the sides and back..a ssuming you are a guy at least.. i have the total opposite problem. i want a place that uses razors, scissors,a nd texturing scissors to cut and use the clipper as little as possible.. texturing is in and the "clean cut" look isn't.

i totally agree... i wouldn't base the skill of a hair stylist on what equipment they use, it's the end effect that matters.

However, depending on the style you prefer, some hair styles can not be achieved through the use of a clipper, because clippers are not precise enough to give details.

Since OP's hair is stiff, i'd say hair thinning would be the best, since it thins out the hair and gives a more natural texture to the hair.

If you do however find the need to shave most of your hair off, go to a barber, with most barbers, they don't go too much into detail with hair, which reflects on the price per cut. With most salons, they will go more into detail with the hair cutting, and therefore use thinning scissors because they are precise and can cut individual strands of hair, where it would be difficult to do with a clipper.

If you go into the salon with a fairly short haircut already, you can't expect them to spend hours on your hair since there won't be enough hair for them to cut and style.

Spidey 03-23-2011 07:49 PM

Also, when you get your sides and back textured and not clipped.. or some clip to get to its desired length, then texture after, your hair will grow out MUCh better and you won't need to get a hair cut as often. ify ou just clip the sides the hair wll grow out sideways and will not "overlap" on each other in a downward effect.

instantneedles 03-23-2011 08:05 PM

^i really hate it when that happens cus it makes you look like you have lions hair, which just makes you want to cut it more and more. This kind of hair is just like a sunshine, it totally defies gravity and does not want flow downwards the way hair should flow.

instantneedles 03-23-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7358473)
Also, when you get your sides and back textured and not clipped.. or some clip to get to its desired length, then texture after, your hair will grow out MUCh better and you won't need to get a hair cut as often. ify ou just clip the sides the hair wll grow out sideways and will not "overlap" on each other in a downward effect.

btw blue g2, are u one of those typical hongers that use clay or wax to make their hair go in different directions :troll:

Matlock 03-23-2011 10:15 PM

$40 for a haircut and they only did it in 10 minutes?
I don't mean this in any racist way, but out of curiosity is this a non-Asian saloon? (white people place)

Whenever I get a haircut at a decent place it takes way over a half an hour. (I let it grow out for 4-5 months then cut it short)
Only when I used to go to the $10 butchers has it ever taken 10 minutes.

Spidey 03-24-2011 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by instantneedles (Post 7358516)
btw blue g2, are u one of those typical hongers that use clay or wax to make their hair go in different directions :troll:

nope! Im cbc.. and my sides are cut pretty short.. like 2.5/3 at the longest... I get my haircut every 3-4 weeks. I use american crew/redken working cream/paste. :D.

but i usually just sport a messy top/messy faux hawk. hoenstly, if i was white, i wouldn't care about the texturing and all that shit, but because i have asian hair i need the sides to be textured so they don't grow out(as the above poster described), like a lions mane!