REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #301
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

^^ That's a very good point.
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #302
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
WOW

why would Canadian tax payer would want to help out the Big 3 by wasting $4 billion?

I've seen so many news how Big 3's condition is critical now, $4 billion would only extend their life by couple weeks or months. It's clear that sooner or later, they'll be asking more money.
Also the US government should be doing this, not the Canadian.

I think the government should use that money for Canadian industry, or give the money to people who get lay offs, just for an allowance.
even though they are "American" carmakers, they have industry in Canada as well, including vehicle plants, parts suppliers, etc. This is NOT simply an American problem
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #303
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
even though they are "American" carmakers, they have industry in Canada as well, including vehicle plants, parts suppliers, etc. This is NOT simply an American problem
I understand that, but GM should be no longer American and become Canadian or perhaps a Chinese car maker. Since GM is doing terrible in the states, that could be an option or that could happen.

Here are some examples, Yaohan Center in Richmond was originally a Japanese shopping mall, but one in Japan bankrupted and it became Canadian.

Same as Victor(the company makes electronics). As we know, Victor is a Japanese company, however it originally was an American company.
What happened was the Victor(headquarter) in America bankrupted, but because they were doing well in Japan, Victor Japan survived. So now they have their headquater in Japan and officially became a Japanese company.

Also, just because they got bailout cash approved, that doesn't mean people are gonna rush to the dealership and start buying GM vehicles. Their cars are still shit compare to all the other competitors. Even in the slight chance if they ever could match the quality of other manufactures, they still got decades of bad reputation.

Last edited by Timpo; 12-22-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #304
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthgear View Post
Ford isn't asking for money right? Perhaps we shouldn't say big 3
last I heard Ford was only asking for access to money should they need it.
gelatinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #305
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Also, just because they got bailout cash approved, that doesn't mean people are gonna rush to the dealership and start buying GM vehicles. Their cars are still shit compare to all the other competitors. Even in the slight chance if they ever could match the quality of other manufactures, they still got decades of bad reputation.

You do know that American cars won many many awards over Japanese and European imports right? The quality and reliability isn't an issue, their reputation is. They're trying to shake off their bad reputation from the 80's and 90's... on the other side, Toyota's riding on the reputation they built during the same period. People aren't buying american because they're crap, they aren't buying because they think it's crap.

I've seen Toyota's quality go down in the past 10 years. I mentioned this years ago... Toyota has to cut corners to meet demand... then the Prius became their best selling car, unfortunately, profit margins on the hybrids are razor thin. So in the past 6 months, gas was at an all time high, Prius sales went through the roof and Toyota's profits fell 30%

Just in today, Toyota is expected to post a LOSS of 1.7 Billion. Guess what that means... more corners cut to to become profitable again.

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 12-22-2008 at 09:29 AM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #306
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Great thread!
Bagged_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Just in today, Toyota is expected to post a LOSS of 1.7 Billion. Guess what that means... more corners cut to to become profitable again.
I thought they announced that loss like 3 days ago? anyways, I agree with Toyota's quality has gone down, all the people I know have noticed that and I avoided buying Toyota for this reason too. Except Lexus of course.
I think Honda makes far better car, I mean Toyota does good job on marketing and stuff but I think the quality wise, Honda is better.

I know this is subective but GM vehicles tend to be ugly, some of them are vomit inducing.
The new CTS looks pretty good but I don't like a lot of them. (oh btw it's not only me saying this)
Also, GM makes way too many vehicles and tend to compete with eachother. The good example is Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunflower. Why wouldn't they just make a better vehicle instead on spending all that money for designing different sheet metal?

I can understand why Ford is in better shape tho, they sell more cars to the government, and I think they're cars have better quality. I know this doesn't mean anything to general public, but Ford has a lot better technology to make sportscars, or better knowledge.
I mean the ZR-1 might be nice and stuff but compare to Ford, they have the Ford GT, also they make engines for Panoz Esperante, Saleen S7, Shelby Cobra, etc...and Ford is the only American company who has enough technology/commitment to participate in F1.

Last edited by Timpo; 12-22-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #308
Island Mod

At this point, it doesnt matter anymore about quality, it may have been part of the reason GM and Chrysler found themselves here now but if it was only because of qaulity then no one else would be suffering and as you can see everyone is selling less, the only difference being Toyota and honda have been doing so well for the past years that they can afford to ride this out. No one can get credit therefore no one is buying cars. I worry that whatever the Big 2 does, it doesn't matter anymore because of this. Give GM all the money they want but if a bank won't lend someone money to buy the GM car what does it matter?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #309
dustinb

If anything, once Chrysler and GM go tits up (which I'm pretty confident will happen), there's going to be some killer deals on new vehicles... I'm not sure there's much I'd be interested in. Maybe a crossfire....
Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #310
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
If anything, once Chrysler and GM go tits up (which I'm pretty confident will happen), there's going to be some killer deals on new vehicles... I'm not sure there's much I'd be interested in. Maybe a crossfire....
because people don't mock you enough for driving a miata?

i kiiid i kiiid
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #311
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I thought they announced that loss like 3 days ago? anyways, I agree with Toyota's quality has gone down, all the people I know have noticed that and I avoided buying Toyota for this reason too. Except Lexus of course.
I think Honda makes far better car, I mean Toyota does good job on marketing and stuff but I think the quality wise, Honda is better.

I know this is subective but GM vehicles tend to be ugly, some of them are vomit inducing.
The new CTS looks pretty good but I don't like a lot of them. (oh btw it's not only me saying this)
Also, GM makes way too many vehicles and tend to compete with eachother. The good example is Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunflower. Why wouldn't they just make a better vehicle instead on spending all that money for designing different sheet metal?

I can understand why Ford is in better shape tho, they sell more cars to the government, and I think they're cars have better quality. I know this doesn't mean anything to general public, but Ford has a lot better technology to make sportscars, or better knowledge.
I mean the ZR-1 might be nice and stuff but compare to Ford, they have the Ford GT, also they make engines for Panoz Esperante, Saleen S7, Shelby Cobra, etc...and Ford is the only American company who has enough technology/commitment to participate in F1.

Dude the ZR-1 has more tech in the shocks then then entire Ford GT. Not to say it the GT isn't awsome. If you think GM doesn't have the know how to compete in F1 you are dreaming.

BTW GMs long term quality rating are better then Fords.
Fastam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #312
dustinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
because people don't mock you enough for driving a miata?

i kiiid i kiiid
OH ZING!!

But yah, I'll admit I have a problem with buying cars that people might consider odd...
Old 12-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #313
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:

I really think the opposite - I think there are some spectacular looking cars made by GM, even more so than Toyota and Honda. Toyota plays the safe route (and it works for them - they do well).

It's not just GM making vehicles which compete with themselves. Lexus pissed me off for many years because they simply looked like re-badged Toyota's with a nicer interior. Another case, the CSX and the Civic. Even think of other industries. Bestbuy owns Futureshop, yet they place stores beside each other. Although overall sales at one unit will decrease, overall sales combined from both units would exceed than just having one. Same logic with the Cavalier and Sunfire. You are providing the consumer with more selection, at a marginal cost.

I found that the quality of Honda has gone down on some of their vehicles ever since they started producing some of their cars in NA. Just my opinion.
StewartJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #314
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Exactly... it doesn't matter if they sell a Sunfire or Cavalier, GM still pockets the money.. and the R&D costs is a lot less when you develop two cars on the same platform. Toyota does the same thing, the Corolla, Matrix, Celica and MR2 Spyder (heavily modified but it is) are based off the same platform. I'm surprised they haven't made a Lexus based on this platform..
Old 12-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #315
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry, but the new Accords and TL's are pretty vomit inducing themselves.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartJD View Post
Lexus pissed me off for many years because they simply looked like re-badged Toyota's with a nicer interior.
This topic has been beaten to death on the Vancouver chat. People who say this have never driven or compared the two.
For example the Camry and ES350. People think they're just rebadged but it's not. The ES has a lot better suspension(usually adjustable), a lot more sound proof, and you will feel like you're driving a completely different car.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #317

http://www.autospies.com/news/Do-You...-To-BMW-39165/

look at these comments...

"Hahaha...where's the proof?"
"What is everyone laughing at? It was Chrysler who gave us the K-car, remember?"
"He still thinks he's running Lexus."
Old 12-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #318
Island Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I'm sorry, but the new Accords and TL's are pretty vomit inducing themselves.
Eye appealing I have to agree the new TL is awful but having driven the Accord, its an awesome car and the TL is apparently even better. I do like the looks of the new Accord coupe though
Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #319
dustinb

Quote:
This topic has been beaten to death on the Vancouver chat. People who say this have never driven or compared the two.
For example the Camry and ES350. People think they're just rebadged but it's not. The ES has a lot better suspension(usually adjustable), a lot more sound proof, and you will feel like you're driving a completely different car.
No actually, they feel almost identical. I drove both, about 4 of each when a friend wanted to buy one, and yah, they felt like the same damn car.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #320
dustinb

Quote:
http://www.autospies.com/news/Do-You...-To-BMW-39165/

look at these comments...

"Hahaha...where's the proof?"
"What is everyone laughing at? It was Chrysler who gave us the K-car, remember?"
"He still thinks he's running Lexus."
Sorry, didn't click the link but I see tons of K cars still on the road. I have some friends who own one and it's been of the best cars they've ever owned.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #321
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Just saw a commercial for the Chevy Volt. Launch date 2010.
Bagged_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #322
dustinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagged_Camaro View Post
Just saw a commercial for the Chevy Volt. Launch date 2010.
Hmm, thought that was supposed to be earlier. I know GM has been pushing to get bailout money to make them last to 2010, because that's when their labour agreement kicks in. I wonder if they pushed the release of the Volt back to encourage governments to give them money, because they'll apparently have a eco friendly, consumer desirable product by then...

And I would still be very surprised if we see that new Camaro show up. That thing just keeps getting delayed.

Last edited by dustinb; 12-23-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #323
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

sorry guys, one single car (Volt) is not going to save GM. when the almighty Toyota struggles, I see no light at the end of tunnel in GM or Chrysler.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
sorry guys, one single car (Volt) is not going to save GM. when the almighty Toyota struggles, I see no light at the end of tunnel in GM or Chrysler.
Toyota just unveiled one teaser pic of "Toyota EV" and it is different than the Prius since it is designed to compete with the Chevy Volt.
I don't think Toyota will let GM dominate the market easily. They will unveil more details next month, and I'm sure this is going to be a huge threat to the Volt.
They did good job on the logo indicating it is a plug-in electric car.

Last edited by Timpo; 12-23-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #325
Head Mod yo

The Volt is kind of pointless anyway, any of you guys seen the latest Top Gear. Hydrogen fuel cell is really the best thing going. Jay and James nail the point home later in the episode and it makes perfect sense.
Victoria SiR is offline   Reply With Quote