REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #26
Need my Daily Fix of RS

i have had my skates done only at cyclone since i bought them, however i see that the chasis is all marked up, not just a little but major. i thought it was just the way i skated being new to ice hockey but i had friends watch me skate and they see nothing wrong. but now i suspect that it might be due to a cheaper skate....before i thought that's what happens when they sharpen skates but my friends skates are perfect....i know it too late to complain and i am buying new skates and going to watch next time but what do you guys say?

oh i get them done at cyclone in richmond
Advertisement
rsx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #27
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
How are you guys defining a good sharpen?

There are 3 things to remember about skate sharpening.
1) different people do it differently. People who do not specialize in hockey ie Sport Check will do the basic skate sharpening just like those automated skate sharpening machines.
2) What do you like? The standard cut, deep cut, blade profiling.
3) how much effort the person puts into the sharpen.

Find someone who does it well for you, and stick with that person. The last guy I used, use to work at Sportmart, but he was the first guy that asked me about my skating style and recommended a deeper cut. Too bad he quit that minimum wage job.
My current skates were done at THS and I like it a lot. I need them sharpened again, and I was thinking of trying Mainland Athletics on Nanimo and Broadway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx10 View Post
i have had my skates done only at cyclone since i bought them, however i see that the chasis is all marked up, not just a little but major. i thought it was just the way i skated being new to ice hockey but i had friends watch me skate and they see nothing wrong. but now i suspect that it might be due to a cheaper skate....before i thought that's what happens when they sharpen skates but my friends skates are perfect....i know it too late to complain and i am buying new skates and going to watch next time but what do you guys say?

oh i get them done at cyclone in richmond
you're buying new skates because your lasts one got marked up??

you obviously don't play hockey, this is just for open free skating?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

most "good" techs have been trained by the company that makes the machine used by the shop.... and most shops use blademaster.

the multiplicity effect runs rampant in this industry, so chances are if they weren't trained by the tech reps, they suck.

if you want to know who the best tech in the shop is, ask who was trained most recently. if they look at you like you're an idiot, they are the idiots.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Tobi - cyclone taylor - oak street

and all those dudes at the ice center.

Last edited by beetea; 11-17-2008 at 11:58 AM.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I find Hockey Shop to be the best so far but Cyclone Taylor in Coquitlam or Ice Levels are not bad too.
ed_pow_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #32
Need my Daily Fix of RS

the reason why i'm getting new skates is becasue i got a very cheap pair and i want to get a better one like the one90 or one95, now that i'm better at ice skating and the fact that the skates are so badly damaged they seem like the chasis could break

and i am a good hockey player
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #33

Quote:
the reason why i'm getting new skates is becasue i got a very cheap pair and i want to get a better one like the one90 or one95, now that i'm better at ice skating and the fact that the skates are so badly damaged they seem like the chasis could break

well if the boots are of a lower quality fine

you know you can get new chassis put on right? exactly how damaged are these things??? all from getting the stakes sharpened?? post some pics?

good as in you can put a slap shot top corner from the blue line or good that you can make a pass without falling over?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #34
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

holy fuck, i was needing a sharpen, and i was in the area and went to 8rinks and the chick sharpened my skates. i could not slice my wrists if i tried. not impressed and never going back haha
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #35
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
holy fuck, i was needing a sharpen, and i was in the area and went to 8rinks and the chick sharpened my skates. i could not slice my wrists if i tried. not impressed and never going back haha
thats 3 people on this thread now that have suffered at her hands
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #36

Quote:

Stay away from the ONE90 skates. There's too many problems with the boot and the stock LS2Power Holders.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #37
Need my Daily Fix of RS

getting a new chasis would cost $140, why not spend that money on a better skate overall. thanks for the head up mickz...still thinking...maybe the one75, nikebauer xxv.
right now i have the nikebauer xvi. any suggestions?

i'll post some pics and see what you guys think

i am a good player and can hit that corner, i played in tier 1 in coast, and 3 in ice604,
Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #38
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

what's the difference between deep and regular cut?
Willinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willinder View Post
what's the difference between deep and regular cut?
Regular cut = overall control and speed
Shallow cut = more speed but sacrificing control
Deep cut = more control but sacrificing speed

It's all a preference to the skater.

Edit: had it backwards.

Last edited by mickz; 11-20-2008 at 12:09 AM.
mickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #40

Just change the blades.. T-Blades..
riccof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #41

Quote:
i am a good player and can hit that corner, i played in tier 1 in coast, and 3 in ice604,
Depending on whether you played summer or winter, but from what I have seen, Ice604 itier 1 is no where near as good as tier 1 ASHL or Coast.
And Winter hockey is better than summer.

That being said, how many years of hockey have you played? Any special training like power skating or hockey camp?
When did you start playing hockey?
How often do you play/skate?
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #42
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

so i got my skates sharpened a few days ago at the burnaby 8-rinks again, but this time by the 40ish year old guy who wears glasses (i think someone mentioned him before) ... he did an awesome job. they were 10x better than when the girl did them... which almost makes me wonder if she even did them at all!! lol
E N D L E S S S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by E N D L E S S S View Post
so i got my skates sharpened a few days ago at the burnaby 8-rinks again, but this time by the 40ish year old guy who wears glasses (i think someone mentioned him before) ... he did an awesome job. they were 10x better than when the girl did them... which almost makes me wonder if she even did them at all!! lol
she does them so quick, i put them on the counter, turned around to look at a few sticks and the turned back around and bam!! all done WTF!F!!!!!
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #44
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Depending on whether you played summer or winter, but from what I have seen, Ice604 itier 1 is no where near as good as tier 1 ASHL or Coast.
And Winter hockey is better than summer.

That being said, how many years of hockey have you played? Any special training like power skating or hockey camp?
When did you start playing hockey?
How often do you play/skate?
well ice604 and coast are quite different, coast is so much better but i find that
coast is full of big angry white guys with refs that don't call shit, where ice604 has a good refs but seems like the asians/whites can't control there temper and seems to fight more here - the fact that ice604 doesn;t fine guys doesn't help

i've played roller and floor hockey all my life, but just started ice a year and a half ago. no special training yet

right now i play 2-3 times a week with 3 teams
Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #45

ASHL is bullshit because there are too many guys in the lower tiers that think they are superstars.. I played this past summer and the refs tend to lose control of the game. One game I got threats from the other team to "break my teeth" and when they tried to carry it out I had to defend myself and fight this big Mexican who couldn't skate.

Another game I got a flying elbow in the face out of no where after the whistle and I had to leave the ice because I wouldn't stop bleeding. Those who have played with me know I am not a dirty player.

edit: sorry for going off topic with my vent.

Last edited by mickz; 11-18-2008 at 12:28 AM.
mickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #46

Quote:
well ice604 and coast are quite different, coast is so much better but i find that
coast is full of big angry white guys with refs that don't call shit, where ice604 has a good refs but seems like the asians/whites can't control there temper and seems to fight more here - the fact that ice604 doesn;t fine guys doesn't help

i've played roller and floor hockey all my life, but just started ice a year and a half ago. no special training yet

right now i play 2-3 times a week with 3 teams
Coast and ASHL has a lot of talented players in the higher tiers. I find Ice604 doesn't quite compare in this category.
As for superstars in lower tiers, everyone thinks they are the next great one, that and a lot of good players just want to play with their friends so they play lower tiers.

Personally, I am getting fed up with the lower tiers because that is what it is. Full of guys who can't skate and don't pass the puck.
Guess I better start looking for next season for a better team to play for.

RSX10, sounds like you don't need the highend skates, but if you have the money for them by all means. Just try them all on and see which ones fit your feet the best. When I was in the market for skates this season, I wanted to get a set of RBK pumps, but when I tried them on my heel would move around quite a bit. I ended up getting a pair of CCM Vibes which weren't that cheap but they feel really good on my feet and they are not that heavy and I can maintain my skating for the entire game.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
ASHL is bullshit because there are too many guys in the lower tiers that think they are superstars.. I played this past summer and the refs tend to lose control of the game. One game I got threats from the other team to "break my teeth" and when they tried to carry it out I had to defend myself and fight this big Mexican who couldn't skate.

Another game I got a flying elbow in the face out of no where after the whistle and I had to leave the ice because I wouldn't stop bleeding. Those who have played with me know I am not a dirty player.

edit: sorry for going off topic with my vent.
I have that complaint about all leagues I've played in. For one, I light to pull up the sleeves on my jersey so the cuff is around the elbow pad, which in turn means I expose some of the elbow pad. In ASHL and Ice604, I've had refs tell me to pull down the jersey sleeve as it is a form of intimation to show my elbow pads and they would give me a penalty for it.
Last I checked, there was no such penalty in the rule book.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 AM   #48
Need my Daily Fix of RS

trust me i don't want to spend $600-700 on skates, but i'll see what works..
any suggestions??

what league you play for SUMAZNGUY?

Quote:
Coast and ASHL has a lot of talented players in the higher tiers. I find Ice604 doesn't quite compare in this category.
As for superstars in lower tiers, everyone thinks they are the next great one, that and a lot of good players just want to play with their friends so they play lower tiers.

Personally, I am getting fed up with the lower tiers because that is what it is. Full of guys who can't skate and don't pass the puck.
Guess I better start looking for next season for a better team to play for.

RSX10, sounds like you don't need the highend skates, but if you have the money for them by all means. Just try them all on and see which ones fit your feet the best. When I was in the market for skates this season, I wanted to get a set of RBK pumps, but when I tried them on my heel would move around quite a bit. I ended up getting a pair of CCM Vibes which weren't that cheap but they feel really good on my feet and they are not that heavy and I can maintain my skating for the entire game.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #49

Right now, I am playing Tier 5 in Ice604. I played 1 game in tier 9 in Coast against a "should be in tier 7 or 8" team and had way more fun.
I also play sunday nights at BWC.

I know I posted this in the Canucks thread, but I am playing this saturday night with some Canucks alumni. I'm thinking I wanna drop the gloves with Kirk McLean. Heehee.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #50

Quote:
I have that complaint about all leagues I've played in. For one, I light to pull up the sleeves on my jersey so the cuff is around the elbow pad, which in turn means I expose some of the elbow pad. In ASHL and Ice604, I've had refs tell me to pull down the jersey sleeve as it is a form of intimation to show my elbow pads and they would give me a penalty for it.
Last I checked, there was no such penalty in the rule book.
I've seen guys get equipment penalties for not doing up their pant zippers or not wearing their chin strap but this is the first I've heard of someone being told they couldn't expose the elbow pad.

I pull up the sleeves on my jersey too but I never got a warning about doing so in ASHL. Whatever's not in the rulebook is up to the ref's discretion I guess.