REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #76
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=666746
Advertisement
ChaKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #77
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i find ice level in richmond does it best for me. that tim hortons commercial guys younger brother does it for me. he's great. he even told me THS did my contour sharpening wrong, especially for my size and the way i play. i tried THS, both cyclones and 8rinks. but ice level suits my skating the best. i would say 8rinks is 2nd, but i haven't played at 8rinks for awhile.

i played tier 1 in ice604 for 2 winters. it doesn't even break single digits divs in ashl. as for coast..i dunno, its my first time in coast this year.

**sumaznguy* i agree with you about being fed up playing in lower tiers. they just don't seem to know how to play ice hockey. sure they can skate and pass and shit, but when it comes to postional play they're all over the ice. theres 10 guys on the ice and yet they seem to think they can weave and deke out 5-6 guys and score but lose the puck halfway. i'm in no means a good player. meybe intermediate on a good day, but at least i know how to play roller and ice differently.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #78
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Are those underarmor, dri-fit stuff worth it?

I happen to have an old underarmor shirt I bought a few years ago. But it was loose fit style. But I'm thinking of buying a skin-tight one. Does these shirts have to be really skin tight in order for them to be effective in taking the sweat away?

Or should I just use my loose fit underarmor?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #79
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

i find the tight ones work pretty well for me

they dont absorb the moisture and they dry quickly
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #80

Loose and tight are just personal preference. Myself, I wouldn't spend like $50 on an UA shirt but if I see a Dri-Fit on sale for cheap I'll pick it up.

I've played with regular cotton tees, no shirt at all and Dri-Fits. I don't notice the difference when I'm playing but I am alot drier when I take off all my gear while wearing a Dri-Fit.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #81

any lycra shirt will do. doesnt have to have 'Under Armour" printed on the shirt to work. all of my lycra shirts are all nike dry-fit that i bought on sale. the most i paid was like $15. i bought a couple at the nike store down at premium outlets for like $5 each. although, i think putting them in the dryer decreases the effectiveness over time. i don't think your supposed to stick them in the dryer, but im too lazy to read the tag and/or hang dry them. lol
Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
any lycra shirt will do. doesnt have to have 'Under Armour" printed on the shirt to work. all of my lycra shirts are all nike dry-fit that i bought on sale. the most i paid was like $15. i bought a couple at the nike store down at premium outlets for like $5 each. although, i think putting them in the dryer decreases the effectiveness over time. i don't think your supposed to stick them in the dryer, but im too lazy to read the tag and/or hang dry them. lol
It doesn't have to be Under Armor specifically but I own Nike Dri-Fits and no name ones I bought from Winners. The Winners one was $12-$13 and the Dri-Fit I bought on sale locally for $22-$23 and the differences I find are in the cut of the shirt. The cheap ones don't fit as well but they still get the job done. And a cosmetic thing, the graphics (inside and out) of the cheap shirts come off really easily. My Nike ones still look like they're new. Again, that's a cosmetic thing and it won't bother everybody who buys a shirt.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #83
Banned (ABWS)?

Currently, I bought a Shock Doctor underwear/jock that has the dry-fit material.

Besides the one UA loose fit shirt I got, which was too pricey, I've only stuck with dry-fits or climalites. Maybe I'll check out some shirts at Winners.

I guess my real question is if the loose fit or skin tight make a difference, since the loose fit might trap sweat between the skin and clothes but if it's skin tight, the sweat seeps through the clothing better?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 AM   #84

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
Does anybody wear the full leggings? It claims to help blood flow in the legs but does it actually do this?
raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #85
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Currently, I bought a Shock Doctor underwear/jock that has the dry-fit material.

Besides the one UA loose fit shirt I got, which was too pricey, I've only stuck with dry-fits or climalites. Maybe I'll check out some shirts at Winners.

I guess my real question is if the loose fit or skin tight make a difference, since the loose fit might trap sweat between the skin and clothes but if it's skin tight, the sweat seeps through the clothing better?
I prefer skin tight under apparels underneath my hockey gear. The idea is that the your base layer is so skin tight that its supposed to feel as if you weren't wearing any extra layer at all. Loose fitting base layers can get a bit uncomfortable as they can bunch up in areas where you tighten your hockey gear straps as well as they may tend to bunch up in your joints as you continue playing. (This may, or may not happen)

However, no matter which route you go, in the end, you'll get used to whatever you chose anyways. In my experience, I'd say get a full upper and lower base layer for the primary reason of sweat management. You want that sweat to be absorbed by your base layer and not your hockey gear, unless you want to be that "certain" guy in the locker room with his own brand of funk smell.

That being said, UA or Nike Dri-fits work well but are not neccessary. Like 6th Gear says, any lycra undergarments found at winners, walmart or superstore will work just as fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Does anybody wear the full leggings? It claims to help blood flow in the legs but does it actually do this?
I wear full leggings. I've played without them at times I forgot to pack them in my hockey bag. I swear I wouldn't notice the difference.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #86
Banned (ABWS)?

Well I guess it's too late for me now. I just bought the boxer underwear jock combo.
So I won't have long leggings. I'll look for a long sleeve though at The Winners before Saturday's newbie drop in game.

Hey Noir, did you say you go to the newbie pick up games on Saturday? (from the other thread)
I'm gonna be there this Saturday. My very first ice hockey game and 2nd time skating with a hockey stick and puck. It's gonna be great!! lol

Last edited by AzNightmare; 12-08-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #87

oh its ok. those work well too. i use the under armour shorts one. at the time they were the only one's that had that type of shorts.and plus i only got it cause my ex worked at sport chek
Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #88
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
i wear them. pp imo ive forgotten them as well and was uncomfortable. mustve been my sensitive skin

ive heard that claim as well but i dont think its true. they would have to be like wetsuit tight to make sure that blood doesnt pool in the legs or to keep the muscles tight.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #89
Banned (ABWS)?

I'm gonna go sharpen my skates at Cyclone Taylors on Oak Street.
Anyone know which day and time does Tobi work?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #90

which ones Tobi?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #91
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i just tried mainland on sunday and they do a great job. im going there from now on. nice people, stores a little small but they had decent gear there
Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #92
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

tobi works tuesday to sat
but often our schedule fluctuates

oh and advice, the dudes that sharpen in the back get hammered. tons of skates, tons of customers. be nice to the sharpener, and the sharpener will be nice to you.

Last edited by beetea; 01-08-2009 at 10:51 PM.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #93
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

i got my skates done at mainland athletics and i plan to take my skates there again in the future.
macatacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #94
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Where is Mainland Athletics? Need to try too.

I'm currently sharpening @ Larry's Sports and boy is it disappointing, and I prepaid for 7 more sharpenings .

Don't get me wrong, the work is top notch, I can vouch for it. But the turn around rate is slow. They rarely every do a drop in & wait job. They usually require you drop your skates off and pick it up at another date. Which sucks if you don't live around the neighborhood or if you play on a regular basis.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 AM   #95

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Just a word of advice. If you do go to Mainland and the dude isn't there, don't let his wife do the sharpening, lol. She does a half decent job, but no where near how well he can do it.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #96
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR604 View Post
Dont ever go to sports chek they cant sharpen for shit.
QFT

I go to Cyclone on Oak and 49th.
tyauzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #97
Banned (ABWS)?

Is the Cyclone Taylor in Richmond any good?
I was gonna go to the one on Oak but tomorrow I'm gonna be by the richmond area instead. How's that place?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #98
My homepage has been set to RS

No complaints at Richmond...Dan and the other guy that runs the shop do great.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #99
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Cyclone on Oak & 49th
triadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #100

Anybody have comments on Time Out Source For Sports in North Van? I didn't know this place existed until I drove by. I didn't go in but by the looks of their website they carry equipment other than hockey as well.