REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 11-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Jamaica?

So I just found out I'm going to Jamaica Dec 9th -16th (could only get 1 week off of work) I will be staying at the Bahia Principe which I have already stay at in Mexico and Dom Rep. I was wondering if anyone has any recomdations of what to do while down there? I heard checking out Bob Marleys compound is pretty neat?

Cheers
Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

went there last year, it was an awesome place! had the best jerk chicken down there!!
Revive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

I'm a huge fan of jerk chicken for sure. Is there anything you can recommond do do while down there or some hints to get better deals while buying stuff?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I backpacked thru Jamaica for 3 weeks a couple years back. It's really a love/hate relationship with the country. As with most impoverished countries, they make money off tourists by helping them. Ask for directions, they'll expect a 'tip'. I've been worked that way more then once when I was there.

On the flip side. When you meet a genuine Jamaican not looking to nickle and dime you, they are probably one of the nicest people you'll meet. I met this rasta man at one of the resort towns that was so hospitable. His unit had a kitchen so he cooked me and my g/f breakfast, let us smoke his ganj, super laid back.

Anyhow, as stated before, you'll get to experience some genuine Jamaican food. While down that, check out the jerk chicken, of course, and the stewed goat is good. Something you don't up here often that you'll see down there is conch, which is killer. Also, the jamacian patties down there are the best, none of this frozen 7-11, Costco bullshit. Pennies a piece too.

As for attractions, I didn't stop in Runaway Bay so I don't know what's there but I would suggest going to Nine Mile, Bob Marley's birth place. It's quite a drive away but well worth it. Admission is like $12 I think or something like that. You get to see essentially where he grew up and his mausoleum where he is currently resting.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #5

Where in Jamaica is that resort?? If you get a chance, definately check out the "Dunns River". Not to spoil it, but you and the gf would pretty much climb up a river (rocks) with water rushing at you! Its safe, as it is guided, but I would definately recommend it.
Revive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
In RS I Trust

I'm staying at the bahia principe. Not going with the g/f (which she aint happy about 2 yrs in a row) going with the old man and sis for a x-mas get away. All I know is the hotel is 25mins from ocho rios. I've stayed at the same resort in mexico and dom rep before and really liked it so I didn;t want to change resorts.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

If you drop by Negril be sure to visit Rick's Cafe.

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/

The view is beautiful.
skyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Ocho Rios is a shit hole. It's a totally tourist trap cause that's where all the big resorts are as well as the cruise ship terminal. I totally hated it when I was there. If you can get to Negril, as skyze suggested, check out Rick's Cafe. It's an institution there. I stayed one night at the Rock House and it was super pimp. Woke up to the same view as the Rick's Cafe.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm staying at the bahia principe. Not going with the g/f (which she aint happy about 2 yrs in a row) going with the old man and sis for a x-mas get away. All I know is the hotel is 25mins from ocho rios. I've stayed at the same resort in mexico and dom rep before and really liked it so I didn;t want to change resorts.
me and my gf are trying to book the same hotel as you but after dec 18th
having a hard time tryign to find good deals
best I found so far was $1000+tax for 7 days

any advice? haha
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyze View Post
If you drop by Negril be sure to visit Rick's Cafe.

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/

The view is beautiful.
Awesome thanks for that. Thats the stuff I'm looking for. the place looks pretty sweet for sure. Is it a club as well type style?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nIsMo_uMbReLla View Post
me and my gf are trying to book the same hotel as you but after dec 18th
having a hard time tryign to find good deals
best I found so far was $1000+tax for 7 days

any advice? haha
Man your basicly screwed on that one. I got my deal through BCAA but I went to the Dom Rep last year for 2 weeks and it cost $5k each

it's just bad timeing since it's x-mas time, I'm sure there's still good deals out there tho.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Guided ganja tour
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsdeman View Post
Guided ganja tour
huh is there such a thing? if so I need more info.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #14

well I just booked jam as well

dec 19th to 27th
3339 for both gf and I after tax
Gran Bahia Principe in Runaway bay
Jr. Suite is the only option........kinda sucks wanted a cheaper room lol
Old 11-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
you know Jamacia is known for there sex resorts eh?....not that I would know anything about that....hehehehehe I would recommend not going to Kingston.....one of freaking and scariest towns in the world....the sales people are crazy aggressive to the pt, I did not feel safe at all.....the resorts are to die for....I stayed at the Grand Lido Braco resort...awesome!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nIsMo_uMbReLla View Post
well I just booked jam as well

dec 19th to 27th
3339 for both gf and I after tax
Gran Bahia Principe in Runaway bay
Jr. Suite is the only option........kinda sucks wanted a cheaper room lol
congrats man thats awsome. I'm at the same hotel of course. I will post some pic's when I get back for ya if I'm not 2 lazy since I get back on the
16th
Old 11-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
you know Jamacia is known for there sex resorts eh?....not that I would know anything about that....hehehehehe I would recommend not going to Kingston.....one of freaking and scariest towns in the world....the sales people are crazy aggressive to the pt, I did not feel safe at all.....the resorts are to die for....I stayed at the Grand Lido Braco resort...awesome!
Really? WOW I don't know what to say is my white ass can't compare to those black guys that will be walking around

I heard about Kingston before I don't want to go near there, I had a buddy whos family was from there and he went to visit his uncle and they almost got carjacked and his uncle was stabbed in the gut.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #18
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

ocho rio is fun. total city center
and should definitely do the dunns river fall cruise.
u go on a cruse and go snorkeling in the middle of the sea for a bit and then u climb this crazy fun river fall
reeniepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #19

Quote:
congrats man thats awsome. I'm at the same hotel of course. I will post some pic's when I get back for ya if I'm not 2 lazy since I get back on the
16th

haha thatnks
let me know how it was before i head off and how safe it was.....lol im worried about safety
Old 12-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #20

i'm planning to book a trip for christmas and new years, but can't decide between cancun or jamaica. i tried doing some research and from what i could gather, cancun is more of a party type place and jamaica is more romantic? we're not the party type, so jamaica sounds like the obvious choice, but it's just that we've been wanting to go to cancun for a while now and didn't have the time. we've only just heard about jamaica as a potential getaway. hopefully someone with some experience on the matter would be able to give some advice?

murd0c - i've got my eye on the bahia principe in cancun, but i read that it's quite a ways from the airport and the beach. was that an issue for you?
ChaKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #21

^ go to Mayan Riviera, went there last year with my gf during xmas
close enough to cancun that you can get there for a day trip (1 hour away) but way more secluded in a non party area.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #22
In RS I Trust

well I'm leaving monday night, I'm sure it will be good and safe but will let you guys know when I get back. I'm fricken pumpd for sure!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Really? WOW I don't know what to say is my white ass can't compare to those black guys that will be walking around

I heard about Kingston before I don't want to go near there, I had a buddy whos family was from there and he went to visit his uncle and they almost got carjacked and his uncle was stabbed in the gut.
Kingston is dangerous. Try searching on youtube "ross kemp on gangs". It's a British documentary. One episode is done in Kingston.

In 2005, Jamaica as a whole was the murder capital of the world with 1600 killings, which is 5 per day. Shocking, really.

I've never been but i'd guess you might not want to venture out of the touristy areas too much.
WakeMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #24
In RS I Trust

yep I saw that one (the ross kemp shows awesome) dont even want to go near kingston thats for sure
Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #25
In RS I Trust

well I'm off in a couple hrs will post pics when I get back