REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:41 AM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

try the forsberg, malkin, iginla, recchi, curve.
pretty standard straight blade.
Advertisement
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #27
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Okay, I'll check the site out for the designs. I've never actually played ice hockey before though, so I'm not sure about spending $50 on a stick, especially if I have to put the shaft and blade together. I'm not really even sure the procedures on how to melt the glue and stuff. I will proably just stick to a $20-30 wooden stick.
Most places will have a heat gun and if you ask nicely, will put the stick and blade together for you. With the new composite sticks, you shouldn't, but I still did, use the kitchen range. Just don't put the stick too close to the element, and turn it constantly so the glue has a chance to melt, assuming it is a glue type blade. There use to be the T system, or whatever Easton called it, where they have some rubber catchers that wedge up into the shaft when you insert the blade.

Don't worry about the curve too much. When you get on the ice, you'll be too worried about not falling or catching up to the play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #28
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
OK, I'm gonna go stick and puck tomorrow at Richmond Ice Centre.
Anyone else planning to go?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

its pretty easy to put on the blade
if you are afraid to use the element to heat it up, you can always hold onto it and stick the glue end into the oven and let it heat up like that

when i first started i used the naslund curve
its a pretty good curve to start off with for wrist shots, not as good for a slapshot though

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien

Last edited by Grandmaster TSE; 11-27-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I'll check the site out for the designs. I've never actually played ice hockey before though, so I'm not sure about spending $50 on a stick, especially if I have to put the shaft and blade together. I'm not really even sure the procedures on how to melt the glue and stuff. I will proably just stick to a $20-30 wooden stick.
If you purchase at a sports store selling 2-pieces they will always put it in for you for free. When replacing you just bring you stick when you buy a new blade.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)?

So for a newbie like myself that have never taken a single shot on ice, is it recommended to start with wood or is wood not worth it and might as well move up to composite?

test123123

edit edit is edit working?

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-27-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)?

btw, did you say sportchek is selling blades for 50% off? Is this some sale or is it a special that you get when you purchase a shaft and blade?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)?

So for a newbie like myself that have never taken a single shot on ice, is it recommended to start with wood or is wood not worth it and might as well move up to composite?

btw, did you say Sportchek is selling blades for 50% off? Is this some sale or is it a special that you get when you purchase a shaft and blade?

I'm going to be purchasing a stick, gloves, and skates at Sportchek tonight. Only problem I see about shaft and blade is that I cannot test it out before I buy it. Since they will be in two pieces until I pay for them. And with lack of experience, I can't tell which shaft+blade is suitable without having an old hockey stick to use as a guideline.

(edit button is messed up...)
Old 11-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #34
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
btw, did you say sportchek is selling blades for 50% off? Is this some sale or is it a special that you get when you purchase a shaft and blade?
How much did you spend in total? for all the equipment so far?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #35
Art & Graphics Moderator

Quote:

btw, did you say Sportchek is selling blades for 50% off? Is this some sale or is it a special that you get when you purchase a shaft and blade?

I'm going to be purchasing a stick, gloves, and skates at Sportchek tonight. Only problem I see about shaft and blade is that I cannot test it out before I buy it. Since they will be in two pieces until I pay for them. And with lack of experience, I can't tell which shaft+blade is suitable without having an old hockey stick to use as a guideline.

(edit button is messed up...)
Hey Az, if I were you, I'd keep things simple and buy a cheaper wood-based stick, or if you're really keen, a mid-range composite. That way you can test it in the store for flex and lie. If you're going to invest in a two-piece setup, might as well get more experience first before you sink the money.

Most wood based sticks these days are actually composites with fibreglass, kevlar, and what not anyways, so they're not that heavy (although they'll be noticeably heavier compared to a performance composite).

If you're just getting into ice, there's no point in running around with a $120 stick when you're still working on your shot. Hell, I still use $20 sticks for roller. There's always plenty of time to pick up an expensive stick in the future. Just my 2 cents.
REVscene.net - The #1 Import Lifestyles Website >>
Post your artwork, computer graphics, typography, and other creative stylings in the Import Art Forum!!!
absolutZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #36
Banned (ABWS)?

Nothing so far. I have a good helmet I'm borrowing. and I went to sportchek during my lunch break to try on some skates. I really want to keep my skate + gloves + stick around $200. But skates is my top priority. They gotta be comfortable. I was looking into CCM vector 4 which costs $120. That's fine. But they didn't have my size anywhere. It's on clearance. The Vector 7 fits fine, but it cost $200, which is beyond my budget.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #37
Banned (ABWS)?

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-27-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #38
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

yeah, go with a simple wood stick to work on your shot

don't cheap out on skates, i know you want to keep under budget and that is possible
but don't go out and buy a pair just cuz they're cheap, get something that will be comfortable while you're skating

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #39
Art & Graphics Moderator

Hey Az, if you're near a SportMart, might wanna try checking there for the Vector 4's... Never know what you might find.

http://www.sportmart.ca/store/mailer...gs5/middle.jpg

Some coupons here too, knock off another 10 bucks at least if you find anything good.

G'luck with the equipment hunt!
Post your artwork, computer graphics, typography, and other creative stylings in the Import Art Forum!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)?

WOW thanks absolutZERO.

I'm definately not gonna cheap out in skates. Just that $200 seems a bit too much for me. But these coupons will definately help. Do I just print them out and use them in the store as if they are cash? Should I buy skates today and use the $20, and then come back again tomrrow, and buy gloves, save $5? Or can I use multiple coupons at once?

wait, is this a public coupon thing, or is it a sportmart VIP member thing, which you happen to be?

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-27-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #41
Art & Graphics Moderator

Hey Az, I think you can just print them out, or they should have a set of them in the store too... They usually come in the mail but I only saw the online one this time.

You can stack them, too, I think... Cuz one time I bought a buncha of stuff and it was over the sum of two of the coupon requirements so the cashier used both (e.g., I spent like... $130 or so.. so the cashier stacked $5 off $40 and $10 off $80).

Hope it works!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #42
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanks absolutZERO, I bought skates with the coupon and although when the guy scanned the coupon, it wasn't valid, but he just took a stack he had from the store and used it so I got $10 off.

They didn't have a wide selection of gloves though, so in the end I went to sportchek to get my gloves and stick.

Now I'm set for stick and puck tomorrow... yay!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #43
Art & Graphics Moderator

Quote:
Thanks absolutZERO, I bought skates with the coupon and although when the guy scanned the coupon, it wasn't valid, but he just took a stack he had from the store and used it so I got $10 off.

They didn't have a wide selection of gloves though, so in the end I went to sportchek to get my gloves and stick.

Hey Az, glad they had the coupons in store... Saving $10 isn't a lot, but might as well make use of it! ;D

Have fun at stick and puck tomorrow... Slim chance I might come out, depends on how tired I am lol.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #44

Quote:

I forgot what you said about how stong of a skater you are.
You might want to wear some knee/shin pads incase you fall.

Also, you will need to bring your own puck. Some people might bring extra pucks, but you don't want to take that chance.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)?

Oh, it was in the other thread. I thought you meant how strong of a skater as in if I'm a power skater. lol

I'm alright at skating. I won't fall as long as no one bumps me or if I'm not trying to do something I know I'm not capable of, like power stopping or doing figure skating aerial twists. I will get the knee/shin pads eventually, but I didn't do enough research yet to buy them. I did take a quick look today though. Is the calf wrap around really neccessary at my level?

I was in a bit of a rush just to get enough stuff to be able to participate for stick and puck. I was told to get there as early as possible to get a spot at RIC. is it gonna be really packed? Because I heard it was way better than 8 rinks. I don't have any protective gear as of now beside gloves and a helmet with a full face visor (it appearly goes below my chin). Will I stand out as the only guy without the full hockey gear at stick and puck?

I just tried on my skates again because I'm trying to break into them now. I got blade guards so I can walk around the house with them. It's been about an hour now and my right foot feels like it's low on blood circulation or something. My left foot is still perfectly fine. So is this normal ?? Nothing is pinching or hurting or anything. Just my right foot starting to feel a bit numb on the sides as if I'm not getting enough blood flow... When I stand up though, it feels slightly better.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-28-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #46
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Oh and now as for brands. how is the brand rbk compared to vaughn?
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #47

If your foot feels numb, then that is probably lack of blood flow.
It could be one of many reasons. Laces are too tight, poor fitting boot, skate just needs to be broken in.

Just loosen the skates and re-tighten then after your foot is no longer numb. Sometimes when I play, I have the same thing but after a few minutes of play. But I play it out and usually the boot loosens up a bit and it goes away.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #48
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Oh, it was in the other thread. I thought you meant how strong of a skater as in if I'm a power skater. lol

I'm alright at skating. I won't fall as long as no one bumps me or if I'm not trying to do something I know I'm not capable of, like power stopping or doing figure skating aerial twists. I will get the knee/shin pads eventually, but I didn't do enough research yet to buy them. I did take a quick look today though. Is the calf wrap around really neccessary at my level?
imho I believe that MORE protection is needed at a beginner level, especially if you are learning with beginners. Being with beginners the probability of getting hurt (inadvertently mostly) is higher because they cannot control what they are doing. So to answer your question, yes I believe it is necessary at your level

As for RBK vs Vaughn, they are both top notch equipment makers. Find the pads that fit your needs (and actually fit your legs and stopping style) and judge from there. It's like asking about Honda vs Toyota in the economy car market - both are excellent companies, both have their pros and cons depending on what you need your car to do.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #49

Az, how did stick and puck go? How did you feel out there?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-29-2008, 01:08 AM   #50
Banned (ABWS)?

It was great. I had a lot of fun. I stayed for about two hours. At first I just skated around to test out my new skates. Then I started playing around with the puck and just circling along the boards and then started taking some wrist shots at the boards in the side. Most of them just stayed on the ice and they were rather weak. I got a few of them up high in the mid area of the boards. I'm acutally not even sure if I'm applying the correct technique. I practiced a few snap shots but didn't bother with any slapshots. I didn't shoot at the net just because my shots are probably too weak currently, and I needed a board for the puck to bounce back so I don't have to fetch it out of a net all the time. It was good though. A lot of times I lost control of the puck when I was just trying to play around with it. I felt like my stick was too short. But most likely my stickhandling just sucks. I'm using the Nike Bauer Supreme One55 wooden stick.

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-29-2008 at 01:10 AM.