REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Snowboarding gear (https://www.revscene.net/forums/555245-snowboarding-gear.html)

trd2343 11-30-2008 06:02 PM

Snowboarding gear

I want to pick up some snowboarding gear, but I have no idea where to start. I've snowboarded around 6 times, and can go on blue runs without much trouble.

I am really unfamiliar with the brands and everything, which in a sense is great, because then I wouldn't be buying brand over substance.

I know this topic has probably been covered many times already, so to save fellow members their time, do you guys have any magazines or websites that you recommend, where I can do my research and go from there?

Thanks

nomo 11-30-2008 07:14 PM

Check out the forums at snowboard.com,

Also try this snowboard sizing guide out. It's a good start.

http://www.frostyrider.com/tips/size-guide.htm

Richmond69er 12-01-2008 07:12 AM

get a set of gear from the option sale

trd2343 12-01-2008 12:00 PM

Should I go to big department stores like Sportchek, or go to specialty stores instead, or it doesn't really matter?

Any brands that I should stay away from?

Thanks.

v1nce 12-01-2008 12:24 PM

go to pacific boarder and boardroom

triplexcel 12-02-2008 11:38 AM

i got some pretty good gear from teh arson sale. if you want a good board, go to the option sale, they have some pretty sick boards there for a decent price. but if your 6'2 or something good luck finding a board that will fit you for under $300

swoo 12-02-2008 12:19 PM

dont even bother the snows never gonna fall!!!!!

Im jk :(

dave123 12-02-2008 06:07 PM

i bought a new suit last year

check out stuff by http://www.sessions.com/

they sell it at boardroom and westbeach

RRxtar 12-02-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoo (Post 6152374)
dont even bother the snows never gonna fall!!!!!

Im jk :(

no kidding. i just bought new boots and pants 2 weeks ago and i've been wearing the around the house to break them in so much by the time the hill opens they are going to be worn out and ill need new boots again

loyanga 12-19-2008 01:06 PM

realize im a little late in the game but are there anymore sales going on for boarding gear? looking to pick up a board, boots and bindings. :thumbsup:

v1nce 12-19-2008 01:39 PM

you can look at the boardroom's clearance shop, they got everything there that you would need to start out.

Vangruver 12-19-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loyanga (Post 6182302)
realize im a little late in the game but are there anymore sales going on for boarding gear? looking to pick up a board, boots and bindings. :thumbsup:

how often do you plan on going?

Factor that in, because even buying sale stuff can rack up the $$$$

dave123 12-20-2008 10:03 AM

i'd recommend investing the $ into good gear. you can wear it for at least 5+ years

the higher end stuff is the stuff thats going to last and keep you warm and DRY

i know so many people that pick up the cheaper stuff but its not water proof and at the end of the day their gear is soaked through. look for jackes and pants that have a rating of 10,000 + waterproofness and breathability

triplexcel 12-20-2008 10:27 AM

do you guys know a brand that makes good boots? my buddy told me that 32 makes good stuff..

Vangruver 12-20-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplexcel (Post 6183444)
do you guys know a brand that makes good boots? my buddy told me that 32 makes good stuff..

i have good and bad reviews on 32 boots, but for all intensive purposes, they are good boots.

any major brand will carry good boots, make sure that they fit, and that they are comfortable. And remember that if you want to buy them.....wear them in the shop at least for 30 minutes WITH the socks you intend on wearing on the hill, to ensure that there are no pressure points, or no pains on your feet.

Vangruver 12-20-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave123 (Post 6183422)
i'd recommend investing the $ into good gear. you can wear it for at least 5+ years

the higher end stuff is the stuff that's going to last and keep you warm and DRY

i know so many people that pick up the cheaper stuff but its not water proof and at the end of the day their gear is soaked through. look for jackets and pants that have a rating of 10,000 + waterproofing and breathability

that is a debatable topic at best. But good advice regardless.

With the higher rating, the price comes up. But with some brands, the rating is only a rating till you get the apparel dirty, then it becomes useless.

For the occasional usage, weekly trips, and mild activity, any garment that is 5k waterproofing and 5k breathability is best.

The key is the layering. Synthetic materials, and thin multiple layers under your waterproof shell is KEY. Do not go with the thicker layers only because when you get warmer [and you will] you will have a tendency to take off what's convenient, and chances are that will be the under layers.

Even with multiple thinner layers, if you get damp, you will still feel warm. The thinner layers should be VERY tight fitting, wicking away body moisture, and perspiration. So if your outerwear gets wet, it isn't the end of the world.

Polypropylene and fleece are your best friends in colder sports.

ultra-magnu 12-20-2008 12:19 PM

^ Good advice. Layering is key. When you take off my snowboard gear and see my base layer, I look like a fairy or some kind of ballerina. However, I'm never wet. Feels really good on the hill. No stressing and worrying about moisture.

And to add, I think good snowboard pants are more important than a nice jacket. If your pants are soaked, you're stuck wearing them all the way home.

Investing big bucks on gear IS debatable. What's more important is knowing about the tech. My pants were $90, jacket was $80. Both 15K waterproof rated and tough. Just have to hunt down the deals.

v1nce 12-20-2008 07:23 PM

i need to pick up some good pants. I tryed wearing snowpants then a waterproof shell (not specific how many K) and i still get my underpants wet.

Vangruver 12-20-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1nce (Post 6184100)
i need to pick up some good pants. I tryed wearing snowpants then a waterproof shell (not specific how many K) and i still get my underpants wet.

how was the board in the end vince?

v1nce 12-20-2008 07:49 PM

the board was awesome. i could turn easier, and the board was still fast. it gripped ice pretty good too. overall board seems more stable than before, well at least i felt that.

JLC 12-20-2008 09:06 PM

as some have said, get GOOD gear at the start...
Probably the most important GOOD gear you will need are good boots...
You gotta invest in good boots because if your feet hurt, get cold, or get wet, you're going to have a miserable miserable day...

Also make sure you get good quality outerwear. Like someone above said, you want to get some stuff that will keep you dry...if you're dry, you stay warm. if you;'re wet, you get cold, and again, that leads to having a miserable time.

For now, the board and bindings are not as important considering you are somewhat still a beginner - just get a decent board and binding set up on sale or even pick something up used on craigslist or any other local classifieds - but if you're 6'2 chances are you have larger feet and you might have to look into a wider/xtra wide board.

Oshin 01-01-2009 01:01 AM

anyone got hook ups for snowboarding goggles?

Alphamale 01-01-2009 04:40 AM

http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/

Sometimes, there are goggles for sale for hella cheap!

Oshin 01-01-2009 11:19 AM

kool, anybody bought stuff from dogfunk? Are they legit.

LYC 01-01-2009 12:35 PM

yeah dogfunk and backcountry are both good sites to buy from.