REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   settling icbc claims... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/555522-settling-icbc-claims.html)

j0nnyblaze 12-02-2008 06:56 PM

settling icbc claims...

i was wonderign if anyone here has any icbc claim stories....how bad was your accident? how much did icbc offer you? i just want to know if the amount they offer is good enough or not...like what should i expect from them? thanks!:thumbsup:

CRS 12-03-2008 07:28 AM

Use the Search option.

Adsdeman 12-03-2008 09:21 AM

Expect to get screwed over!

!SG 12-03-2008 07:35 PM

get a lawyer

Lil Bastrd 12-04-2008 12:03 PM

You have to look at what they are paying out for. Was there any injuries, missed work, etc. I wouldn't always take their first offer. Figure out what being out that car has cost you. keep all reciepts for transportation. Also have a realistic veiw on what your car may be worth. I think alot of people think their car is worth more because of things that ICBC doesn't look at. Look around at ads for your style vehicle just to give you an idea, I know they don't use ads anymore, but this should give you a ball park.

Jassanova 12-06-2008 05:37 PM

If it's a serious accident, any amount that ICBC offers you, a lawyer will always get more and if they're a competent lawyer, it'll almost always be worth their fees (usually 30-35% of the final settlement amount).

j0nnyblaze 12-07-2008 11:18 AM

ok so i smashed my head into the windshield and cracked it...i was fine just got a tiny scar on my head now. missed 2 weeks of work and they said they pay me for those 2 weeks. ive gone back and forth to the doctor and im perfectly fine..haha didnt go to physio or any of that. car got fixed and now they looking to see if i want to settle my claim. so anybody know a rough estimate on what they would offer? should i get a lawyer?

icemiko 12-07-2008 11:51 AM

they are fuckers, when I got tboned by some fag running a red light and my car suffered over $5000 in damages and I had to go see the doctor and missed some work, they tried to offer me $500 to settle the case!

if you get a lawyer you will get much more then what they'll offer you but remember you have to pay the lawyer too

Care 12-08-2008 08:16 AM

bigrig 12-08-2008 09:37 AM

4 yrs ago this past , my gf and i were hit head on by a drunk driver. my gf settled 2 yrs ago because her injuries werent that bad. but im still fucked. PTSD, depression, headaches, my backed is screwed, will never be able to do any heavy lifting pretty much for the rest of my life. still waiting on my settlement. but i would give it all back if my back was able to get back to 100%. no amount of money is worth pain and suffering like that

CRS 12-08-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrig (Post 6161709)
4 yrs ago this past , my gf and i were hit head on by a drunk driver. my gf settled 2 yrs ago because her injuries werent that bad. but im still fucked. PTSD, depression, headaches, my backed is screwed, will never be able to do any heavy lifting pretty much for the rest of my life. still waiting on my settlement. but i would give it all back if my back was able to get back to 100%. no amount of money is worth pain and suffering like that

Hmm PTSD... Seriously?

I don't mean to sound insensitive but you had post traumatic stress disorder from a car crash? :rolleyes:

bigrig 12-08-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6161829)
Hmm PTSD... Seriously?

I don't mean to sound insensitive but you had post traumatic stress disorder from a car crash? :rolleyes:

yes... still a lil bit too... when u almost die and then after your life is pretty much helpless, it kinda affects your head dude. thank god ive gotten past that for the most part

hi-revs 12-08-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrig (Post 6162144)
yes... still a lil bit too... when u almost die and then after your life is pretty much helpless, it kinda affects your head dude. thank god ive gotten past that for the most part

i feel for you man. I got into an accident myself back in 2005. I know what youre going through and more, i guarantee it. PTSD is fucked up, but to assure you, theres someone out there whose suffering worse.
my case just settled this year. Like you, i would give back every cent that i got to be the way i was 3yrs ago.
Good luck with the recovery.
btw, did you qualify to fall into ICBC`s part 7 claim.

To the OP, for `smaller` accidents, ICBC will usually lowball you. Get a good lawyer and work out with them how much you will likely get before you decide which route to go.

thebigbea55 12-14-2008 08:55 PM

i got into accident last month... the lady ran the red light and hit my car as i was turning left.. now she's saying it was my fault.. icbc said it's 50/50 so repair was around $2000 almost.. i'm taking the lady to small claim court now..

MyPresIzBlack 12-19-2008 03:57 PM

If you wait out the 2 year waiting period, youll get alot more than the initial offer they give you a couple weeks out of the accident. So hire a lawyer and wait it out!

Type R 1090 01-05-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0nnyblaze (Post 6160243)
ok so i smashed my head into the windshield and cracked it...i was fine just got a tiny scar on my head now. missed 2 weeks of work and they said they pay me for those 2 weeks. ive gone back and forth to the doctor and im perfectly fine..haha didnt go to physio or any of that. car got fixed and now they looking to see if i want to settle my claim. so anybody know a rough estimate on what they would offer? should i get a lawyer?

Ok before you listen to all those guys who say get a lawyer (amazing how all those lawyers radio and TV commercials work eh?), tell me a bit about this accident.

Was it a single vehicle accident?
If it was with another vehicle, were you at fault?

The reason why people get a lawyer is to go after the non-pecuniary damages ("pain and suffering" money). You can only get that if someone else is at fault, and you have a legal right to recover money from them. Sometimes people also get lawyers if there are coverage issues, but I'll leave that one out for now as it doesn't seem to apply in this situation.

If this was a single vehicle accident, what are you gonna do? Hire a lawyer and sue yourself for pain and suffering?

Every driver involved in an accident is automatically entitled to certain "no-fault" Accident Benefits - ie medical expenses, lost wages etc. Make sure you talk to your adjuster regarding coverage for those and get as much as those paid for as the coverage will allow.

And while this doesn't apply to you, just a little info for everyone that lawyers are used only for personal injury matters, they do not (and cannot) get involved if you have a simple dispute over the value of a totalled vehicle. There is a whole other process you go through as prescribed by our province's Insurance Act.

j0nnyblaze 02-09-2009 06:30 PM

so i settled my icbc claim and im settling it for $3,500..accident happened in oct. and ive been to the docs 4 times...at first she offered me 2500 but final was 3500! i should have settled for $5,000...is it too late??

saiko 02-09-2009 10:32 PM

I think it's too late since you agreed on the settlement. Never agree to anything or sign anything until you are satisfied. It's all a legal game to them almost.

www.icbcadvice.com

the lawyer in charge of that site is sorta a douchebag, but he's got some decent info there.

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-10-2009 08:14 AM

its fucking hilarious watching some of u getting into an accident thats worth $8000 dollar damage any motherfucking ICBC shoves $2000-5000 dollar worth of money into another person's ass. If this was the case, why the fuck on earth do we even need 1 million dollar coveage, 2 mill? 3 mill? are u fucknig kiddin me? we must need a $200,000 dollar car damage in order to get $200,000 eh? :rolleyes: no point buying insurance when u are seriously injured like one of the fellow above stated regarding his back when u cant get jack shit out of them. fuck this shit

:rolleyes:

BoneThug 02-10-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrig (Post 6161709)

i suffered some memory loss from mine. id take it all back too.

Jassanova 02-11-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6273375)
its fucking hilarious watching some of u getting into an accident thats worth $8000 dollar damage any motherfucking ICBC shoves $2000-5000 dollar worth of money into another person's ass. If this was the case, why the fuck on earth do we even need 1 million dollar coveage, 2 mill? 3 mill? are u fucknig kiddin me? we must need a $200,000 dollar car damage in order to get $200,000 eh? :rolleyes: no point buying insurance when u are seriously injured like one of the fellow above stated regarding his back when u cant get jack shit out of them. fuck this shit

:rolleyes:

That's why you lawyer up. I see 6-7 digit settlements everyday. Some people think that lawyers are out there to swindle them out of 30% of what they could get on their own... but there's a reason our profession has been so successful with personal injury in BC, it's because we know what to do, and ICBC doesn't often take an unrepresented claimant seriously.

When you take into consideration not only non-pecs, but past wage loss (say up until a settlement 2 years down the road) + future wage loss + future cost of care + any out of pocket expenses... it all ads up.. even for soft tissue injuries (providing they're legitimate and debilitating).