REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Hotel recommendations in SF?

Looking for a good hotel around $150/night in downtown San Fran. Any recommendations? What areas should I be looking for?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
I don't get it

stay in the tenderloin district haha..

i stayed at the ramada just outside of it.. don't do it.. stay in a hotel in china town.. your better off and near pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf. enjoy frisco.
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
www.priceline.com name your own price.

or try Club Quarters in the financial district. I paid $80/night last August.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,504 Times in 4,308 Posts
LOL do not stay near Tenderloin!

I'd go with CivicBlues' recommendation of Priceline. Just be careful and do your research on where you're staying, how much you'll be paying, and perhaps factor in other things like transportation etc. because you can totally get fucked over like how I did in Prague.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 12-06-2008 at 04:55 PM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
well US cities generally are easier to pinpoint which area you want to stay in for Priceline. So unless you screw up bad, you won't get find yourself out in the boonies like bcrdukes For example in SF you can choose between the Priceline districts:

Civic Center
Financial District - Embarcadero
Fisherman's Wharf
Marina - Lombard Street
SOMA - Moscone Center
San Francisco Airport (SFO)
San Mateo
South San Francisco
Union Square East
Union Square West - Nob Hill

The areas i've put in Bold are generally the good areas to stay in. I wouldn't stay in Civic Center unless you enjoy the ambiance of the Downtown Eastside.

Check out the forums in
www.betterbidding.com
and www.biddingfortravel.com
to see how much people have paid for a similar hotel by star rating, area and dates, and then adjust your bid accordingly.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 12-06-2008 at 05:19 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,504 Times in 4,308 Posts
^
That's pretty good, solid advice from an experienced traveller.

How I got screwed - There was a particular area in Prague I wanted to say however, there was one hotel I oversaw in the list which was far out in the suburbs of Prague (almost as far as like Vancouver to PoCo.) Threw in my bid, won, but realized it was super far before it was too late.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #7

Thanks guys, great advice. Will try priceline - Union Square was recommended by a few other people as well. Heading out in a few weeks, hopefully the weather cooperates.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Hotel Fusion or Hotel Stratford (I believe they're run by the same company). Pretty affordable, in Union Square area. Fusion is right off of Powell St. and Stratford is right on it.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Check out this site http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php in combination with priceline or Hotwire which is sort of like priceline except you can see the price ahead of time but like priceline you cannot see the hotel.

That forum might be able to help you pinpoint which hotel it is you're bidding on.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #10

Thanks again, all. Betterbidding.com worked great. $1000 CDN for airfare & hotel, taxes in. 5 nights at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel at Union Square with a view of the City (I'm okay with paying a bit more for a good hotel room).
Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

As mentioned above staying near union square is great if you plan to shop and its near buses and cable cars to go where ever you want.

I stayed at Sir Francis Drake (kind of small) but it only cost around 90 dollars a night and was maybe 5 minutes away from Union Square.

Also, I recommend buying the transportation pass if you don't plan on driving everywhere.
fo_shizzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith

there seem to be a lot of hotels in japantown. is the area okay? or is it like our japantown? tia

ebee is offline   Reply With Quote