REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   is boxing day a scam? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/557653-boxing-day-scam.html)

VersaceStyle 12-19-2008 05:48 PM

is boxing day a scam?

someone told me that it's a scam and that really not much is discounted, but rather jacked up and then discounted so it sort of equals to the same?

carisear 12-19-2008 06:22 PM

... i am out of word.

jasonc 12-19-2008 06:54 PM

lol never herd of that. usually i check the prices for a few stores before buying.

but since our economy and dollar is very low. most stuff on sale will be the discontinued stuff. thats my asumption

Preemo 12-19-2008 07:03 PM

Basically it's all the old/surplus shit they have in the back/warehouse.

SkinnyPupp 12-19-2008 08:42 PM

For the most part, it's garbage that would be cheap anyway. But all the garbage gets discounted at once, making it seem like a big deal. Occasionally there are a few actual good deals out there, and that's what the idiots line up for.. If you're not one of the first few to get in the store, all that's left is crap.

MelonBoy 12-19-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VersaceStyle (Post 6182689)
someone told me that it's a scam and that really not much is discounted, but rather jacked up and then discounted so it sort of equals to the same?

most of the stuff is old stock/over stocked stuff, stores are just getting rid of shit for the new stuff next year.

just to point out if a store jacks up the price and discounts it, that is considered scamming and its actually against the law, and if there caught by the government they will have to pay a penalty. Uhh theres a specific word for this but i cant remember.. uh.. anyone help me out here lol..

bbbj 12-20-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelonBoy (Post 6183120)
most of the stuff is old stock/over stocked stuff, stores are just getting rid of shit for the new stuff next year.

just to point out if a store jacks up the price and discounts it, that is considered scamming and its actually against the law, and if there caught by the government they will have to pay a penalty. Uhh theres a specific word for this but i cant remember.. uh.. anyone help me out here lol..

I just fucking learned this in marketing this past semester and I already can't remember it. FUCK SCHOOL

SkinnyPupp 12-20-2008 12:06 AM

If that was illegal in Hong Kong, 99% of the stores would be out of business, including ALL grocery stores :lol

Cman333 12-20-2008 02:04 AM

Working in electronics retail for so many years.... get to see the inside scoop.

People tend to hype it up themselves. Think of it as a BIG SALE that everyone has on the same day. Rather than walking in hoping to find a sale or whatever.

Usually stores will have door crashers to attract people. Those are always limited quantities. That's whats builds the hype, what people line up for. All in all it's usually the entry level no name crap thats blown out at crazy cheap prices. Once youre 2 hours into a sale, all the insane deals are gone. Then comes the "normal" stuff. Most stuff goes on sale at the usual sale price.

Boxing day prices are usually normal sales/friends & family sales/customer appreciation sale prices. Rather than just a couple items, it's usually everything on sale. Don't expect everything to be 50% off retail. It's usally 10% off. 25% off higher markup items (except door crashers).

Clothing on the other hand I tend to see discounts at places that don't usually have discounts. I don't work in the fashion industry, so I can't comment on discounts. I haven't gone boxing day shopping in many years. I remember every year I used to go, always come out empty handed anyways. Not worth the lineup, the headache, the parking, etc.

I might check out some of the smaller independant clothing stores. Even that is skeptical. :p

skyxx 12-20-2008 03:15 PM

Sometimes there are better sales in January. :)

alex.w *// 12-20-2008 03:52 PM

i dont think its a scam. some of the things i see are really discounted

Shun Izaki 12-20-2008 06:50 PM

Not a scam as long as you don't get tricked into buying a dvd player for more than $20 :)

skyxx 12-20-2008 07:09 PM

Not Unless it's an OPPO...:)

SkinnyPupp 12-20-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 6184083)
Not Unless it's an OPPO...:)

I'm selling my Oppo for like $200 ($86 under retail) but for some reason the page gets barely any views. I know more and more people buy HDTV's.. but are they using the same $30 DVD players they had before?

underscore 12-21-2008 02:12 PM

futureshop kinda scams you, that put massive SALE tags everywhere but half the shit isn't even on sale, it's just the regular price.

static 12-22-2008 02:47 PM

the only real discount in retail, is the five-finger discount kekekeke, jp

Culture_Vulture 12-22-2008 03:13 PM

why don't you just check for yourself then lol

it's usually what's left of whatever they had during and before the Christmas rush, so they want to blow it out all in one go.

InvisibleSoul 12-22-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VersaceStyle (Post 6182689)

For those that know how to shop and find good deals, no.

For those that don't know how to shop, yes.

One quick tip is to be aware of what the signs say.

Most signs will say "Up to 80% off"

This means absolutely nothing. They could have just one item, the crappiest thing that nobody would buy, at 80% off and everything else at regular price.

Some other stores might advertise "50% off on selected merchandise", and this is similar. They might only have the crappy stuff at 50% off and other stuff at regular price.

The best boxing day sales have signs that say "50% off everything" and that's exactly what it means - every single item is 50% off.

yayabonks 12-23-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Physixx (Post 6186853)
why don't you just check for yourself then lol

it's usually what's left of whatever they had during and before the Christmas rush, so they want to blow it out all in one go.

for the most part, you should always do a little research before going into a store and thinking what you got is a deal.

remember many sales on boxing day are non-refundable.

blkgsr 12-23-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carisear (Post 6182733)
... i am out of word.

you should get a refill then...

orgasm_donor 12-24-2008 07:51 AM

I don't understand why people call me and say "hey dude, you got any boxing day sale prices going on?" when they know for a fact that I just give everybody good prices all year 'round. Low overhead + top shelf product + good volume = always good prices! Why market your shit around one day when you can have people come in all year 'round.

Thats my philosophy anyways.

edit: Look for our boxing week sale coming up soon!

:p

BNR32_Coupe 12-24-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6185067)
futureshop kinda scams you, that put massive SALE tags everywhere but half the shit isn't even on sale, it's just the regular price.

This is true. I did the whole lining up early for boxing day thing a few years back only to learn that boxing day is all hype. It's true that they're clearing out inventory, but only the shittiest products that failed to sell during the whole year.

twitchyzero 12-24-2008 10:04 AM

Boxing day is mostly good for electronics..having that said, i dont understand why people start lining up at 5pm christmas day for door crashers when you can start buying them christmas eve online??

and most of the bigger merchandise for door crashers is available online...so it's not like it's an in-store only deal. The only thing you might be saving is S&H fee..but paying the S&H fee sounds better than freezing your ass off for 12 hours in this kinda weather.

For the most part, it's a hype.

Meowjin 12-24-2008 10:50 AM

^me and my friends make it tradition, we actually have a bit of fun lining up.

underscore 12-24-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 6189609)
This is true. I did the whole lining up early for boxing day thing a few years back only to learn that boxing day is all hype. It's true that they're clearing out inventory, but only the shittiest products that failed to sell during the whole year.

waiting at FS is a waste of time, show up like 10 mins after they open and walk right in, a couple years back I got a 100 stack of DVD-R's for $18 and a 250GB external for $100, was a good deal at the time.