REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
jumpstarting

which is the correct way to hook up jumper cables to a dead battery in a car? ie. does the negative clamp go to the negative terminal, or does it go to ground somewhere on the engine?

i always thought it was option no. 2, but my friend jumpstarted his car with it hooked to the neg. terminal just now and i'm confused
Advertisement
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
The way I learned to do it was connect the the + - terminals on the good car, and on the car that needs jumping, connect to the appropriate + terminal , and connect the ground cable to the chassis.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

i always just go battery to battery

the idea behind going to a ground elsewhere, is that if there's hydrogen buildup surrounding the battery, the spark from connecting the cable can ignite it, which is possible.

Another very important safety tip, is to hook up one wire at a time

do both +, then both -

never do + and - on one car first, because then the other ends of the cables are "live" meaning that if you touch them together, or touch them both to the same thing, you'll make a short circuit, damaging something, or if you grab both ends, you'll hurt yourself.

----------------------------
!SG on typing in caps:
"do you go around screaming and talking really loud in real life too then?"
EuroTRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Witness protection

should the car that is jumping be running while the cables are being hooked up? again, i thought the engine had to be shut off to minimize any potential accidents, but he did it with the car running...
Old 12-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
should the car that is jumping be running while the cables are being hooked up? again, i thought the engine had to be shut off to minimize any potential accidents, but he did it with the car running...
well you can do it either way.. but with the engine running you have more danger of possibly catching something in the fan belt or something...
jack_dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
first you connect both - clamps, on the dead car it should be connected to a good chassis ground and not the battery. connect the + on the rescuing car to the battery, and start it. now take the remaining + and connect it to the battery, right as you do this start up the dead car. once it's running remove the + and the rest of the wires in the opposite order of install.

reasonings:
1) a running car can provide more current and more voltage than a battery alone
2) use the chassis to prevent explosions from the combonation of hydrogen gas + a spark.
3) always remember it's + to +, - to -. don't try to get "smart" and think they cross over or something, this will fry both your alternator.

also, if one set of jumper cables isn't allowing enough current flow (if you're jumping a big truck or something) you can double them up to get more current flow.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Another thing to do is, with the rescuing car running, and all the jumpers + and - hooked up, let the car sit for a few minutes to get some juice into the dead battery. If the dead battery has zero juice, the car might not start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
first you connect both - clamps, on the dead car it should be connected to a good chassis ground and not the battery. connect the + on the rescuing car to the battery, and start it. now take the remaining + and connect it to the battery, right as you do this start up the dead car. once it's running remove the + and the rest of the wires in the opposite order of install.

reasonings:
2) use the chassis to prevent explosions from the combonation of hydrogen gas + a spark.
3) always remember it's + to +, - to -. don't try to get "smart" and think they cross over or something, this will fry both your alternator.
holy crap i've been doing it wrong all this time

this is what i've been doing:

1. connect to + terminal on rescue battery
2. connect to + terminal on dead battery
3. connect to - terminal on rescue battery
4. connect to ground (engine) on dead battery

5. start rescue car and give it some moderate revs for a 1-2 minutes
6. start dead car

7. disconnect in opposite order from steps 4 to 1.

now... i've seen people not bother with step 4 and just let the clamp hang also, and the car will still start!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
^ I've been told that trying to charge two batteries can be hard on your alternator due to the increased current draw, it's not designed to do that (I used to work an auto parts counter and this is what the mehcs/my boss told me). that's why you want to start your car then start the dead one right after.

I guess in theory not connecting the grounds could still work as this is DC. it's still good practice to connect it tho, if nothing else to keep the clamp from accidentally hitting the +
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

reasonings:

also, if one set of jumper cables isn't allowing enough current flow (if you're jumping a big truck or something) you can double them up to get more current flow.
+ first, then -

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
Witness protection

i was watching MOTORING on tsn yesterday morning, and they were demonstrating how to jumpstart a car with a trunk-mounted battery... they grounded the negative to the shock tower mount in the engine bay. will the same work for an engine-bay mounted battery?

it's really hard to ground to the engine on my GTi because everything is covered in plastic
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Here's a step by step from Edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...3/article.html

Last edited by kuri; 01-19-2009 at 10:16 AM.
kuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

As long as the terminals are hooked up properly going battery to battery is ok. Never start the dead car while the other is running. Very possible that you will blow the diodes on the good cars alternator. Let the cars sit for a good 2-3 minutes then shut it off, then try starting other vehicle.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapester View Post
Never start the dead car while the other is running. Very possible that you will blow the diodes on the good cars alternator. Let the cars sit for a good 2-3 minutes then shut it off, then try starting other vehicle.
i've never heard of this before. goes against everything said above, including BCAA
Old 01-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Usually you wont know untill a while after. The alternator still works but isn't charging properly. Worked at an alternator repair shop for a while, something they told me along the way.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #16
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapester View Post
Usually you wont know untill a while after. The alternator still works but isn't charging properly. Worked at an alternator repair shop for a while, something they told me along the way.
damn. to think of all the damage i've caused then all these years