REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   High Blood Pressure (https://www.revscene.net/forums/558444-high-blood-pressure.html)

girlcrazy_420 12-27-2008 07:45 PM

High Blood Pressure

I've had chest pains for about 6months which have been progressivly been getting worse. I had what I thought was a stroke and went to the hospital but they didnt do much for me. I was told me blood pressure was 196 over 90 which according to this chart is not good.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medi...d-pressure.htm

I had this "attack" which consisted of being light headed, weak, shaking and a scared type of feeling. Anything that promotes stress made it worse. I was unable to stand, pick up my plate and I was having troubles with speach when I called 911. I'm 22, and generally decently healthy. Doctors and the hospital don't seem to be helping me and this constant chest pain dosnt seem right. When I eat, it worsens to the point where I am afraid to eat anything larger than a sandwich. Eating a hall, or drinking juice also makes it worse. I first thought it was heartburn, but after trying many medications (acid reducer, gaviscon, etc) they do nothing.

Idea's??

distanc3 12-27-2008 10:32 PM

i have slight high blood pressure aswell, but it has improved recently.
how is your

1 salt consumption?
2 water consumption
3 diet ex. spicy food, coffee(caffine)
4 hours of sleep
5 under constant stress? (ex family problems?)

FeistyBearH22a 12-28-2008 03:01 AM

What do you mean doctors and hospitals dont seem to be helping? You mentioned your bloodpressure is in the 196/90 thats pretty damn high. Did they just let you go home?

Does your family have a history have a history of cardiac/cardiovascular issues? But like the poster before me watch your salt intake. You definitely need to see your doctor about it. With a blood pressure that high and the symptoms you've described sounds pretty serious.

CRS 12-28-2008 08:35 AM

Your heart is pumping out blood at 196. That is pretty ridiculous. The blood coming in is at 90 which is acceptable.

Before coming into this thread and reading the OP, I thought it was probably do to excessive salt intake but with a systemic and diastolic BP like that, I'm thinking it is most likely something else. Something is making your heart pump out blood about 70 millimeters of mercury above the "healthy". I'm not going to speculate on what it could be.

I will, however, break it down for you IF your heart is constantly pumping out blood that quickly. You have 3 basic types of blood transport structures. Arteries, veins and capillaries. They all have different sizes and different wall lengths (this is stuff you should already know). Now, your arteries are considerably larger than your capillaries in actual size and wall size. But with increased pressure, walls tend to break. Now, if this happens, you're in a heap of trouble. Why BP goes down is because blood traveling through your arteries are going fast, as it travels it goes slower (obviously). Then it goes to smaller structure (the vein) and gets some speed back due to an increase in pressure. Same thing happens when it hits your capillaries.

The big problem here is that the blood is leaving your heart so fast that it might be damaging your arteries (or at the very least is stressing your arteries). Coming in isn't too bad but it should still be something to be considered. Not to mention, it takes a lot of work for your heart to pump out blood that quickly. That is causing considerable stress on your heart. The combination of the two is what is causing you to feel chest pains. I'd suggest to go see your GP and tell him that you've been having chronic chest pains and have him do your BP. If it is that high again, I'm pretty sure he'll send you in for some tests.

girlcrazy_420 12-28-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeistyBearH22a (Post 6194655)
What do you mean doctors and hospitals dont seem to be helping? You mentioned your bloodpressure is in the 196/90 thats pretty damn high. Did they just let you go home?

They hooked me up to a heart monitor and said I was good in that sense, checked blood pressure, sugar levels, and my temp. They gave me a shot of (tylonal?) in my hip and made me swallow some sort of pill than sent me on my way. I still had the pains when I left the hospital and its been a week since than and I'm still hurting. Just after writing this thread last night I felt like I was on the urge or going back into a mild attack with more than the normal pain. Now being morning... Its still there. I havnt eaten anything, I havnt done anything... yet there is still some sort of pain.

girlcrazy_420 12-28-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distanc3 (Post 6194365)
i have slight high blood pressure aswell, but it has improved recently.
how is your

1 salt consumption?
2 water consumption
3 diet ex. spicy food, coffee(caffine)
4 hours of sleep
5 under constant stress? (ex family problems?)

Unsure of my salt intake... I dont use any added salts in my foods.
Bottle or two of water a day. I dont drink nearly enough...
No spicy foods, coffee/french vanilla's etc give me increased pain so I dont drink them. I stay away from any sort of sweets.
Midnight-8 is my sleep pattern.
Yes, stress. At the moment tho. I've been feeling this way for about 6 months but increasingly getting worse.
I more than likely just described the causes to my problems, but waking up in the morning still not feeling well dosnt fit.

achiam 12-28-2008 10:19 AM

I don't see how the pain brought on by eating could be related to your high blood pressure - especially in such a short time frame, and don't believe it to be related.
With regards to your high blood pressure, there are several other causes as well.
Your heart is the pump that moves blood around the circulatory system, which is then filtered by the kidneys. In general words, if the kidney's water filtration is working insufficiently to eliminate an acceptable amount into the urine, this excess water is now returned to the blood.
Since the blood vessels can only stretch to a certain degree, this increased volume brought on by the excess water results in a higher blood pressure - yielding a multitude of problems, some of which you mentioned.
Another cause would be a weak heart that pumps blood at an insufficient pressure - for the kidney to filter out water sufficiently, the incoming blood pressure must be at a sufficient velocity, and if the heart is too weak this results in insufficient water extraction, which in turn increases blood volume and therefore high blood pressure.
Did the physicians you consulted take any other tests? I'd need to know more before making any other comments.
As you had noted that you were in general healthy shape, it wouldn't hurt to do cardio exercise at the gym regularly - having a stronger heart helps the body pump blood faster, resulting in more water being extracted by the kidney and bringing the blood pressure down.

choda 12-28-2008 11:34 AM

do you get those chest pains where it feels like you can't take a deep breath cuz it feels like a stabbing pain? i get that feeling all too often and don't know what it could be

FeistyBearH22a 12-28-2008 03:05 PM

See your family doctor. Insist that you think you have something done about it. Unfortunately, when they looked at your age they probably thought you're come over acting kid. But if what you say is true... with the high BP and the symptoms I would see your GP.

Were you experiencing the 'attack' as you call it while your stay at the emergency?

FeistyBearH22a 12-28-2008 03:06 PM

Oh I still would like to know if you've got family that have or have had a cardiac issue.

girlcrazy_420 12-28-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choda (Post 6194952)
do you get those chest pains where it feels like you can't take a deep breath cuz it feels like a stabbing pain? i get that feeling all too often and don't know what it could be

No stabbing pain.

girlcrazy_420 12-28-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeistyBearH22a (Post 6195234)
See your family doctor. Insist that you think you have something done about it. Unfortunately, when they looked at your age they probably thought you're come over acting kid. But if what you say is true... with the high BP and the symptoms I would see your GP.

Were you experiencing the 'attack' as you call it while your stay at the emergency?

No, by the time I had gotten there about 45minutes had passed, than another 45 to be admitted. I was at a usuall pain level, same as I am sitting here.

girlcrazy_420 12-28-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeistyBearH22a (Post 6195238)
Oh I still would like to know if you've got family that have or have had a cardiac issue.

My dad just informed me he is on medication for HBP. My pressure today was reletively low at 151/88

CRS 12-29-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choda (Post 6194952)

It's called Angina.

now all the hypochondriacs can add one more to their lists

And to the OP, that is still relatively high. Are you sure you're healthy? Do you exercise at all? And no, walking to and from places doesn't count. And drink more water.

AppleSugary 12-29-2008 01:21 AM

Seems pretty serious health condition.

I would not suggests to see your family doctor but you should go check in yourself to emergency unit of the hospital.

One thing that Revsceners should know that they should never underestimate chest paine especially if it is chronic.

In your case, 6 months is a long time so you should tell them all the signs and symptoms that you are experiencing.

Usually when you are in real pain, your blood pressure goes up. But since you said that your dad is taking hypertension medication...more likely...you are going to have it too.

But hey...chest pain doesnt sound good.

Pain in your chest can be severe. It can be difficult to interpret. The cause of the pain could be something as simple as heartburn or as serious as a heart attack.

If you experience unexplained and persistent chest pain or a feeling of pressure or tightness in your chest — particularly if it's accompanied by other signs and symptoms, such as shortness of breath, sweating, nausea, dizziness or pain that radiates beyond your chest to one or both of your arms or your neck — seek emergency medical care immediately. If you are having a heart attack, rapid treatment can dramatically reduce the amount of damage to your heart muscle and prevent long-term complications.

Every minute is crucial if you are in the midst of a heart attack. A trip to the emergency room could save your life — or bring you peace of mind if nothing is seriously wrong with your health.

girlcrazy_420 01-04-2009 11:46 PM

Just an update. I've still got high blod pressure, but i'm watching it very closely along with what I eat and drinking plenty of water, eating multi vitamins etc. I've been taking 50mg of Indomethacin 3x daily and it seems to be doing a okay job. Not great by any means, but iether its working or i've convinced myself it works.

acurael 01-14-2009 10:13 PM

You need to get this sorted out asap...around 200 is considered a medical emergency. You said it was 196. Go see a good doctor, i think you should be given hbp medications. This is serious, dont just think diet will make everything better...151 is still too high.
Normal blood pressure is supposed to be 120/80 and the newer ideal is 110/70 if i rmb correctly.

wasabisashimi 01-15-2009 11:00 AM

you are at risk of heart attack and stroke. Are you overweight?, do you exercise, whats your diet like?.....

Whats your cholestrol level like? have you gotten it checked?

There are so many factors that will decrease or increase your risk of serious consequences.
Your blood pressure is at an alarming high level, and yet the medical doctor just ask you to take 50mg of Indomethacin?

I don't really know your case and as a doctor myself, I am not impressed with your doctor. He is clearly not doing his job right!. ( of course I also don't know the full story behind your medical history)

We need to normalize your blood pressure asap.! I would like to see the diastolic pressure 196--> 130 and systolic 90--> 80

All i can suggest is that you find another doctor who will take you more seriously and treat you aggressively.
If you still live in Kelowna and can not find anyone to help you. Contact my buddy Dr. Phillips. Check his website for address and number. And tell him that i sent you
http://www.drbrettphillips.com/

Best Regards,
Steve