REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Requests for Proof of Purchase (https://www.revscene.net/forums/558625-requests-proof-purchase.html)

dutch 12-29-2008 04:28 PM

Requests for Proof of Purchase

If I go to superstore or future shop or best buy or whatever they will often ask for my receipt and to look in my bag to check if I'm stealing anything.

Here's the thing, I am now the owner of the items I've purchased from said retailer. I don't have to show anybody whats in my bag.

Can I politely reply no and continue walking out?

skidmark 12-29-2008 04:40 PM

Yes. However, if you ARE stealing something, they have the power to arrest and detain you for police.

dutch 12-29-2008 05:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have another similar question. If I'm walking on the street and a police officer asks for my drivers license or ID, am I required to provide it? Are they allowed to search me?

I understand in the United States if someone is walking on the street, that person is only required to state their name, their address and date of birth.

(I understand driving is a different story)

Presto 12-29-2008 05:40 PM

In regards to checking for receipts, you're correct in your right to now show them anything. Unless there's no other customers, and they can flick their marker in less than second, I usually bypass the receipt checking line-up at Costco, too. I hate having to lineup after lining up to pay. :P

The only way they can legally stop you is if they witnessed you stealing something.

CRS 12-29-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 6197170)
In regards to checking for receipts, you're correct in your right to now show them anything. Unless there's no other customers, and they can flick their marker in less than second, I usually bypass the receipt checking line-up at Costco, too. I hate having to lineup after lining up to pay. :P

The only way they can legally stop you is if they witnessed you stealing something.

Otherwise, it is false imprisonment.

In which case, you could actually sue the said retailer.

skidmark 12-30-2008 07:25 AM

If the officer has grounds to require you to identify yourself, then you are only required to state who you are. If you wish, you can provide government issued ID but you don't have to. It will avoid problems however. If the officer is justified in not being satisfied you are who you say you are you can be arrested and held until that satisfaction is obtained.

socialenemy69 12-30-2008 08:35 PM

I currently work as a Loss Prevention Officer (undercover security) for a retailer and its one of the most fun jobs I have ever had. The adrenaline rush you get when going out and arresting people is very addictive.

Carl Johnson 01-02-2009 09:40 PM

wait until you get bear-sparyed in your eye lol, that what happened to our LPO

socialenemy69 01-02-2009 11:56 PM

^^^ Been there, done that. Happened over a year ago. Hurts a lot, dont recommend it. If you ever get mased or pepper sprayed, get some cold water and Johnson's Baby shampoo and rub that into your eyes and rinse.

woozzle 01-03-2009 12:00 AM

I was one of those guys asking for receipts awhile back...and let me tell you it's a miserable job, so don't be difficult and make our lives harder than it already is. Do the right thing, Be a man!

sho_bc 01-03-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socialenemy69 (Post 6203345)
^^^ Been there, done that. Happened over a year ago. Hurts a lot, dont recommend it. If you ever get mased or pepper sprayed, get some cold water and Johnson's Baby shampoo and rub that into your eyes and rinse.

hot water and no soap. the hot water opens up your pores and lets all the crap out of your skin so you don't burn in your next shower as well. I don't know about that shampoo, but we were taught that soap/shampoo was not a good idea the first shower after being sprayed.

MegaMx 01-03-2009 09:39 AM

Costco can revoke your membership if you abuse their system and refuse having your receipts checked.