REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #26
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

if you're not 100% about getting a truck, and want something that's comfy to drive daily, and able to take out on the weekend and flog it in the bush, I definately recommend the Jeep Rubicon.
Advertisement
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

well i went out and looked at the jeep today, i thought it was going to have a cramped interior, but its not bad at all.. it really does seem like something that can be driven daily and also be thrown into the bush on the weekends with out hesitation.. not a bad little suv
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Not at all, although the six speed has such short gearing it can get a little frustrating at times in city traffic where you're through first gear in all of 2 seconds.

Through the mud and the blood to the green field beyond.
Faugh A'Ballaugh.
1983 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

^my heep has dana 30 front and 35 rear

this is why i like the auto tranny in my 4x, i cant imagine having to slip my clutch etc to crawl over stuff

why a 96-01 cherokee with a strait 6 isnt top on you list im not sure tho. im gonna flog my 92 and buy a 99 with 130 000 kms for 5k tomorrow. no brainer for such a tough and versatile vehicle.
add 2 g in a quality lift and 5 tires and it will be capable enough to tackle anything i have the balls to attempt while still being comfortable and stockish

Last edited by jeffh; 01-08-2009 at 02:53 PM.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

grand cherokee? or the regular one?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #31

regular. one of my mechanics at honda worked at dodge for 7 years. swears by the regular cherokee, and says the grand isnt worth the metal its made out of. trail ready vs soccer mom spec

having said that, a friend of mine has a grand with the v8 and it is pretty sweet as far as comfort and power go
Old 01-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #32

Beyond the interior spec and the V8, what's the Grand Cherokee include that makes it less trail worthy than the regular?

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #33

gas tank location makes it real piggy in the rear
more complicated suspension than the normal ones, (its 4 coils instead of coil front and leaf rear) the stamped steel control arms that result from this suspension are a weak point. they also weigh more. the v8 trannys arent as tough as the strait 6 as well
and not all of them came with a real transfer case
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #34

Interesting... no regular Cherokee's with coil springs all around, eh? How popular are the four corner coil spring swaps for the rears of regular Cherokees?

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #35

^ unless you are going long arm/ 4-link its just not done from what i have seen
Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #36
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
im the guy with the ZJ GC V8

trannys and transfer cases are definitely the weak link in the drive train. the transfer case is an AWD center dif that engaged when the rear slips. it does have a positive engaging low range tho. the front ends usually come with CV joins upfront instead of U-joints. that being said, some GCs can be found with Us up front and a NV231 or NV 242 swap is nearly a direct bolt in and can be sourced from a wrecker for a couple bills. another shitty move for Jeep was to throw an aluminum housing D44a in the rear instead of the D35 which makes finding a locker all but impossible (now that Aussie has stopped making them). altho an 8.8 is a common swap. aside from that, the torquey V8 is a pretty strong motor.

the coil spring design and solid axles front and rear make for easy lifting. most lift kids are extremely expandable to go from a simple lift to a full kit. 3.5" lift will clear 31x10.5s at full articulation with sway bars discoed too.

the main reason i like the GC over the regular cherokee is its just a fair bit nicer vehicle all around. its like driving an accord instead of a civic. that being said, if i was building a full trail jeep rig, it would be a regular cherokee, not a GC

Last edited by RRxtar; 01-10-2009 at 11:22 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

well even after all of your guy's help, im still lost as to what i want.. lol. i have never for the life of me been able to settle my mind down and focus on one certain kind of vehicle.. for me the rubicon jeep is just too under powered. i think im just going to go with what i have always wanted from the time i bought my first car, a pickup. 04-05 dodge ram 1500 slt.

Last edited by 03aspec; 01-12-2009 at 12:06 AM.