REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #176
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
One more reason not to eat Oysters not that I needed anymore.
Hey, oysters are yummy - except I only eat them cooked (steamed with garlic, or black bean sauce).
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #177
I STILL don't get it

Went to Cru the other night as it was sold out.. so naturally I was curious and found a reservation.
I don't know if the cuisine is not my type or not.. but it was just mediocre imo.
My friend was unhappy until the dessert.. -_-?
The sweet potato soup was very sweet, I only tasted it but it was a strange taste, not what I'd prefer for a soup. I had the beef carpaccio which was pretty good.
I had the crispy duck confit.. which wasn't too bad, except the salad/pasta mixture underneath had some sour taste to it.. maybe vinaigrette? that I didn't enjoy. My friend had the seared albacore tuna, which she said that had a fishy taste of not being fresh. (side note: apparently the seared tuna at Joe Fortes is really good)
The chocolate torte was good.. really rich and sweet though so I couldn't finish it.
Overall, I don't think it'd be a place I'd frequent.. as the place is really small. The service wasn't up to par and
parking is a bitch. >.<
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #178
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

any reviews for LUX yet?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #179
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
What do you expect when you eat at fine dining establishments then?
Food wanker, not something the size of a dime.
LongDongSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #180
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Whine Whine Whine
Complain Complain Complain

Some of you are spoiled fucks.
Weren't you the person complaining about how expensive West was?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #181
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo_s13 View Post
any reviews for LUX yet?
+1
oldcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #182
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo_s13 View Post
any reviews for LUX yet?
Waiting on Deon, he should be going soon (or already has?)
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #183
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

lux sucked bad service bad food
604king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #184
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

went to Aqua riva.

sorta not really bias. Use to work there but never sat down and ate.

the spring rolls were awesome. the salmon salad was alright. but i'd say choose the spring rolls over the other two. i didn't find the spring rolls bad. they fry them to order..

I had the trout. Gf had the steak. i'd suggest if you want the fish go with sable fish. It has a much richer taste. but not over powering like salmon would be. The steak imo was perfect.

for dessert go with the bread pudding. its the only way to go. the cheese cake is like any other cheeese cake.

btw. all cheese cake is made the day before and frozen. then unfrozen the next day. its never "fresh".

oh yes the service is always great. Everyone is uber nice there. even though i know the people who work there, there is no acceptions everyone gets treated well.
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerx View Post
went to Aqua riva.

the spring rolls were awesome. the salmon salad was alright. but i'd say choose the spring rolls over the other two. i didn't find the spring rolls bad. they fry them to order..

I had the trout. Gf had the steak. i'd suggest if you want the fish go with sable fish. It has a much richer taste. but not over powering like salmon would be. The steak imo was perfect.

for dessert go with the bread pudding. its the only way to go. the cheese cake is like any other cheeese cake.

btw. all cheese cake is made the day before and frozen. then unfrozen the next day. its never "fresh".

oh yes the service is always great. Everyone is uber nice there. even though i know the people who work there, there is no acceptions everyone gets treated well.
HAHAHHAAH.
So biased. lol.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #186
Banned (ABWS)

I think a lot of you guys need to get over the mediocre service.

A lot of you guys will only go to these places for Dine out, aka you're only useful for January to keep revenue coming in, as a result (most) of you guys are pretty cheap.

The second dine out is over (most) of you won't come back.

As a result the servers don't really care about you. This is all coming straight from some of the owners of the restaurants I know in Dine out.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604king View Post
lux sucked bad service bad food
Wow, review of the year here. Care to expand on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDongSilver View Post
I think a lot of you guys need to get over the mediocre service.

A lot of you guys will only go to these places for Dine out, aka you're only useful for January to keep revenue coming in, as a result (most) of you guys are pretty cheap.

The second dine out is over (most) of you won't come back.

As a result the servers don't really care about you. This is all coming straight from some of the owners of the restaurants I know in Dine out.
Dine Out is also a chance for restaurants to impress customers and hopefully retain them. You don't do that with just good food, you need good service too.

Now I understand that yes, DOV is two weeks of hell (or a blessing if you see it from another POV) for the restaurant and especially servers..and I can certainly imagine how busy and stressed they would be.. but to show good service is the best thing one can do during this event.

I've gone back to restaurants I've tried at previous DOV's because I enjoyed the food AND the service.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #188
I STILL don't get it

^
Very true
For example.. I don't like the menu offerings at Cru and West at all.. but I decided to try them out. I haven't gone to West yet.. but Cru's service wasn't that attentive. We were rushed and overall just felt like I was eating at some regular restaurant. Hence, it's not a place I'd go back. Joe Fortes had good service, and although Lumiere wasn't a part of the DOV.. I went and had very good service there, so I'd return.

For me, DOV is a chance to try out different restaurants for a small price.
While I understand that the quality of the food differs from their regular menu.. the service and setting should be the same in my opinion.. I don't go for the food mainly per se, but for the ambience, service.. the overall feel of the restaurant.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #189
I don't get it

Went to Lux last night for a friend's birthday and it was pretty much a 5 out of 10 for me. Our server was really impatient and not friendly at all. We had questions about some of the items on the menu and she looked like she had way better things to do then to answer our questions. Drinks were overpriced and watered down (I had better at the club after dinner)

The best part of the meal was the appy. Me n my friend both ordered the ahi tuna/avocado tower and both enjoyed it....our entree was a whole other story. She had the beef striploin and I ordered the sablefish. Her striploin was overcooked to the point where it was a lil burned. The sablefish itself was ok but the cream sauce they used was definitely on the heavy side. We both shared the fondue for dessert and again the portion was too small for what is meant to be for two people.
michimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #190
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
Waiting on Deon, he should be going soon (or already has?)
Sorry! I was suppose to go tonight but I totally forgot that it's Chinese New Years so I had to cancel my Lux reso to go for dinner with the family

Well I got Joe Fortes tomorrow heh ... but so far the reviews for Lux haven't been that good (from my friends)

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #191
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Had dinner at Brix last night. Was impressed. The food didn't feel like it was any different from the regular menu. They did a good job.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaro View Post
Went to Lux last night for a friend's birthday and it was pretty much a 5 out of 10 for me. Our server was really impatient and not friendly at all. We had questions about some of the items on the menu and she looked like she had way better things to do then to answer our questions. Drinks were overpriced and watered down (I had better at the club after dinner)

The best part of the meal was the appy. Me n my friend both ordered the ahi tuna/avocado tower and both enjoyed it....our entree was a whole other story. She had the beef striploin and I ordered the sablefish. Her striploin was overcooked to the point where it was a lil burned. The sablefish itself was ok but the cream sauce they used was definitely on the heavy side. We both shared the fondue for dessert and again the portion was too small for what is meant to be for two people.
Ack.....my reso is on Friday...maybe I should change it to somewhere else...
Old 01-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #193
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaro View Post

I'll email this to my boss =)
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #194
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerx View Post
went to Aqua riva.

I used to work there, too. Judging from your name, you probably have a bike? I did, too.

Who are you?
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
I'll email this to my boss =)
You're still at Caprice? Wanna make sure Friday 745 is all good for me?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #196
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Went to Joe Fortes today at 6pm, had clam chowder, steak & prawns, and chocolate lava cake. The soup was one of the best chowders I've had (lots of stuff in it, including real bacon, and not just potatoes), and the steak was rare as I ordered it. Chocolate lava cake was kind of hard though.

Also, Sundin (and his gf I assume) sat behind my wife!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #197
I STILL don't get it

Went to West..
The ravioli was good, although there were only two pieces of it.. XD
The pave of beef was okay.. if you like braised meat.
I don't particularly care for it, so it wasn't superbly appreciated. The mushroom sauce was pretty good though, and sides were good~
The chocolate tower was good, I liked the marshmallow-y like white chocolate layer. >_<

The banana cake is just like a skinny piece of bread with some toppings.. I don't think it's a good choice. As well as the salmon.. It wasn't very impressive looking.. It had the skin on, which I don't like, some might.. and the sauces surrounding it were too sweet for the entree dish. The gnocchi weren't what I was expecting.. tasted like uncooked.... tater tots? (..?) lol

The service was good, I liked the place quite a bit. I can see why it's considered one of the better restaurants~
Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #198
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
You're still at Caprice? Wanna make sure Friday 745 is all good for me?
The lounge has nothign to do with the club anymore, they get really bitchy even if we walk in to use the staff washroom.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
The lounge has nothign to do with the club anymore, they get really bitchy even if we walk in to use the staff washroom.
Funny, it's still called Lux by Caprice. :/
Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #200
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Funny, it's still called Lux by Caprice. :/
same owners, different management.