REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Minimum Ground Clearance (https://www.revscene.net/forums/559256-minimum-ground-clearance.html)

Eff-1 01-04-2009 05:46 PM

Minimum Ground Clearance

I did a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

My question is about minimum ground clearance as far as the CMVSS go. My understanding is that the BC regs only talk about no part being lower than your rim, but I'm wondering if the CMVSS specify an actual number for minimum ground clearance.

Reason I am asking is due to the recent installation of speed bumps in my building parkade. They are 3 inches tall, and many vehicles are having issues driving over them. My car (lowered but still legal) just BARELY makes it over each one, but only if I inch over them very very slowly. Other cars are also having troubles, the other day I found a mud flap that had been torn off a VW.

I am trying to build a case to have the strata council take these out, and wondering if there's anything in the CMVSS that could help. If by chance these 3 inch tall speed bumps would prevent, say a Ferarri or other exotic car that's completely legal, from coming in and out, I could use that as part of my argument.

I've tried searching for the regs but the TC website is full of dead links. It's completely useless.

Another thing I plan on doing is contacting the fire inspector in the hopes he may decide these speed bumps will impact fire truck response times, and may order them removed. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.

smoothie. 01-04-2009 08:30 PM

get used to crawling over them.

Raid3n 01-04-2009 08:39 PM

if the car were to sit on the road with no tires on the wheels, the only part allowed to be touching the road is the wheels.

i believe, measured from the ground to the centre of the light, headlights must be 54cm from the ground minimum.

Eff-1 01-04-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 6206151)
if the car were to sit on the road with no tires on the wheels, the only part allowed to be touching the road is the wheels.

i believe, measured from the ground to the centre of the light, headlights must be 54cm from the ground minimum.

Those are the BC rules. But i'm wondering if the federal rules state something else that might be more detailed. Something like the minimum clearance from the lowest part of the car to the ground is XX cm.

The goal is to find out if it's legal to sell cars with ground clearance of less than 3 inches, then I can use that as an argument against the installation of these speed bumps.

skidmark 01-05-2009 05:16 PM

Nothing in the Federal rules that I am aware of, but you can look through them if you want to, there's a link on my links page....

Eff-1 01-05-2009 10:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. As mentioned I have looked through TC's website and the regs are nowhere to be found. Just dead links.

GordonTse 01-05-2009 10:35 PM

i make my story short in point form.

- i'm looking for same answer
- i got VI for front tint by VPD
- i need to go for VI
- my work is insp. facil.
- cert. tech said i may fail cuz im lowered
- he said there are specs he has to follow
- what do i do?

edit: do i really need to pay $80-100 for a FULL VI for just front tint? that is so ridiculous.
thank you :D

Berzerker 01-05-2009 10:43 PM

^^ Most times if you remove the tint and go to the po po station and show them.. thats all that is required. It depends on what box he ticked on your VI notice.

Berz out.

Rich Sandor 01-06-2009 12:51 AM

3 inches is STUPID. The maximum standard speedbump height is 2 inches.

The only time a speedbump should be over 2 inches is if it is wider than the standard foot. (like in downtown Westend alleyways)

I suggest you fight it based on whether or not the strata proposed standard 2 inch speed bumps, or non-standard, excessive, 3" speed bumps. You live there, you drive a car that is a LEGAL ride height, and you cannot get in and out of your property at a reasonable pace - the speed bumps are unreasonably high.

Eff-1 01-06-2009 10:13 AM

From what I can tell, there is no maximum height for speed bumps. 3 inches is unfortuntely quite common.

b-dub 01-06-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonTse (Post 6208381)
i make my story short in point form.

- i'm looking for same answer
- i got VI for front tint by VPD
- i need to go for VI
- my work is insp. facil.
- cert. tech said i may fail cuz im lowered
- he said there are specs he has to follow
- what do i do?

edit: do i really need to pay $80-100 for a FULL VI for just front tint? that is so ridiculous.
thank you :D

uhhh, why don't you just get it inspected at your work and pay off the inspector?

Alatar 01-06-2009 04:25 PM

^ Because if it ever comes back to the inspection facility, they can be fined and lose their inspection license.

Even suggesting such a thing makes me shake my head.

GordonTse 01-06-2009 05:52 PM

k, got my answer from the tech according to the book of requirements.

1.5inches of wheel gap. and i dont think i have that.. i don't even think i have an inch of wheel gap...well my rear did go a bit lower from my sub box, so i can take that out.

stevo911_ 01-06-2009 05:55 PM

like between the top of the tire and the fender lip?

johny 01-06-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonTse (Post 6209560)
k, got my answer from the tech according to the book of requirements.

1.5inches of wheel gap. and i dont think i have that.. i don't even think i have an inch of wheel gap...well my rear did go a bit lower from my sub box, so i can take that out.

there is no law on wheel gap. only rule is tire can't rub or touch during driving.

GordonTse 01-06-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo911_ (Post 6209567)
like between the top of the tire and the fender lip?

yes

GordonTse 01-06-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 6210044)
there is no law on wheel gap. only rule is tire can't rub or touch during driving.

well iunno if it's a law.. but theres a big government book he has to follow..

GordonTse 01-06-2009 10:05 PM

k, just looked at the "notice and order"... is it void if there is no date written on it?

Eff-1 01-06-2009 10:27 PM

why the hell are you posting this in my thread??

GordonTse 01-07-2009 10:52 PM

whoa whoa, my bad. i didn't wanna just start a new one..