REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   What's a good type of reusable drinking bottle I can use for sports? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/559452-whats-good-type-reusable-drinking-bottle-i-can-use-sports.html)

AzNightmare 01-06-2009 07:39 AM

What's a good type of reusable drinking bottle I can use for sports?

With everyone telling me how it's not good to reuse plastic bottles, most have switched over to metal containers. But most of them I see aren't very big. Whenever I play hockey I usually buy one of those large (950~ mL) gatorade right before I go. But it's cheaper if I buy those cans gatorade powder that I have to mix with water. But I have no container/bottle to store it in. And since I can't reuse my old plastic bottles, what should I do?

Is plastic bottles really that dangerous? What about those big white sportchek bottles with soft (non-transparent) plastic?

v1nce 01-06-2009 09:36 AM

what about those nalgene type bottles? i use those for every type of sport i play.

hamsup 01-06-2009 12:40 PM

check out MEC.. they have a huge selection !!!

AzNightmare 01-06-2009 01:14 PM

That's what I'm wondering. There's so many different type of plastic bottles. I don't know which ones are unhealthy, or are all of them unhealthy?

SizzleChest 01-06-2009 01:42 PM

everything is unhealthy.

polycarbonate bottles have been around for quite some time and as far as i know, the whole hormone disruption thing has not been scientifically proven. i'm not saying it isn't true, but society gets scared so easily. i think the terrorists have won.

Noir 01-06-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SizzleChest (Post 6209155)
everything is unhealthy.

polycarbonate bottles have been around for quite some time and as far as i know, the whole hormone disruption thing has not been scientifically proven. i'm not saying it isn't true, but society gets scared so easily. i think the terrorists have won.

Werd. The coke you drink, the mcdonalds you eat, the air you breathe is all unhealthy. All these things that sum up an average person's daily life would probably negate all the caution one is taking regarding their water bottle anyways. :)

Having said that, since you play hockey, a good water bottle is still a good investment. But I would say your criteria should be mainly about size and quality of containment. You don't want those weak waterbottles that will leak water in your bag. :)

K-Dub 01-06-2009 04:24 PM

I still use Nalgenes..metal bottles will dent, etc. blahblah..

misteranswer 01-06-2009 08:00 PM

I believe the chemical has been banned, so any new bottle you buy will not have it. Plus, it only leeched into your drink when your drink was hot, so even if you had an old bottle, for your purpose, it should be fine.

Volvo-brickster 01-06-2009 09:34 PM

i reuse plastic bottles all the time.

think of it this way, whats the difference between you refilling a bottle with gatorade mix at home and you buying a bottle from 7-11 thats been sitting in a warehouse / storeroom for months before hitting the shevles?

AzNightmare 01-07-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster (Post 6210008)

think of it this way, whats the difference between you refilling a bottle with gatorade mix at home and you buying a bottle from 7-11 thats been sitting in a warehouse / storeroom for months before hitting the shevles?

That's what I was thinking. I don't really understand what's going on with scientist research these days... I was hoping some of you guys in here could explain. lol

jlo mein 01-07-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster (Post 6210008)

The danger is supposed to occur when you take these one time use plastic bottles (and Nalgene type bottles that used BPA) and then wash them, which causes the BPA material to breakdown and later contaminate any liquid you refill the bottle with. Keep in mind the scientific tests that were conducted used industrial strength cleaning solution that is much stronger than home dishwashing products.

If you are concerned about the whole BPA issue but also do not want a metal bottle, Nalgene has now released their non-BPA hard wall translucent plastic bottles, called Nalgene Everyday. They are made of a material they call Tritan, instead of lexan. I have seen them available locally at MEC.

http://www.summithut.com/img/115/15/5FAB/18209/320w.jpg

AzNightmare 01-07-2009 10:39 PM

^ okay thanks
I'll look for those.

Ch28 01-07-2009 11:13 PM

You can also check out shaker cups

I bought one of these from GNC for $7

http://www.performancefuel.com/shop/...ttle_multi.jpg

Lid and spout are good enough that i can throw the bottle full of water onto my car seat or bag and not worry about it spilling. It's also great for making protein shakes etc. The one I got holds about 700ml

VrrM604 01-08-2009 01:12 AM

i believe the BPA free bottles have the #7 on the bottom inside the recycling logo

Volvo-brickster 01-08-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 6212168)
You can also check out shaker cups

I bought one of these from GNC for $7

http://www.performancefuel.com/shop/...ttle_multi.jpg

Lid and spout are good enough that i can throw the bottle full of water onto my car seat or bag and not worry about it spilling. It's also great for making protein shakes etc. The one I got holds about 700ml

mine keeps leaking :(
i blame the plastic washer
but i dropped it off my counter the other day and cracked the whole thing so thats moot now

racerman88 01-08-2009 05:18 PM

go to the army navy surplus store and buy a metal canteen

AzNightmare 01-09-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 6213342)
go to the army navy surplus store and buy a metal canteen

where is this store located?