REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

question about expedia.ca

Hi guys, I plan to have a hotel party next weekend but i want it to be cheap.

I found multiple rooms in downtown vancouver on expedia and it only costs 110$$. Question is, do you need to be flying in from another city to book a room, or can you book a room if you're living here?
Advertisement
yellowpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
You can book it here but usually if you check the same hotels website it will cheaper then Expedia's price.

You also might want to checkout www.hotwire.com combined with http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php With hotwire you choose a city and an area in that city and it gives you the prices of different hotels and lists how many stars it is along with the amenities. It does not tell you the name of the hotel though. Thats where the other link comes in. It's a site that the hotels use to blowout rooms that would otherwise go unused to ensure they at least get something for them.

If you check the second link it's a forum that will probably be able to tell you which hotel you're looking at from others who have booked. You can probably find a hotel for 1/2 of what they charge on expedia except it will be in American dollars.

If I am using expedia I use it for its pictures, map and review features then I either go to the hotels website or call them. I just spent a week in Anaheim and San Diego and both hotels were cheaper booking through the hotel. Expedia adds in a booking fee, it's how they make there money.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 01-07-2009 at 06:09 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

ah thanks alot!
yellowpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
You can book it here but usually if you check the same hotels website it will cheaper then Expedia's price.

You also might want to checkout www.hotwire.com combined with http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php With hotwire you choose a city and an area in that city and it gives you the prices of different hotels and lists how many stars it is along with the amenities. It does not tell you the name of the hotel though. Thats where the other link comes in. It's a site that the hotels use to blowout rooms that would otherwise go unused to ensure they at least get something for them.

If you check the second link it's a forum that will probably be able to tell you which hotel you're looking at from others who have booked. You can probably find a hotel for 1/2 of what they charge on expedia except it will be in American dollars.

If I am using expedia I use it for its pictures, map and review features then I either go to the hotels website or call them. I just spent a week in Anaheim and San Diego and both hotels were cheaper booking through the hotel. Expedia adds in a booking fee, it's how they make there money.
Thanks a MILLION
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Priceline.Com offers great deals too.

But becareful when you're booking reservations through 3rd party sites, because they never guarantee room types. Example ... if you want a non-smoking room with a king size bed and all the hotel has is a room with 2 beds smoking, that's what you're stuck with.
E-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

It depends with the room type. Sometimes the rate might be cheaper but it'll say for a standard room so if you want to make sure you get a certain room type, make sure you don't mind shelling out a little more to guarantee the room type.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
It depends with the room type. Sometimes the rate might be cheaper but it'll say for a standard room so if you want to make sure you get a certain room type, make sure you don't mind shelling out a little more to guarantee the room type.

Yes! That's true too.
E-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
I believe most hotels try to favor Expedia bookings because it is such a big site and word spreads/reviews are a big part of Expedia. In Vancouver the average mark up rate on Expedia is about $20
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote