REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

damn computer...help?

Hello all, i have meen having some CRAZY problems with my comp ever since i built it (i think mostly cuz vista sucks) but i decided i wanted to go to 8GB of ram that way i know id have enough . but it showed up today, put it in and it starts to boot, then says, " System in safe mode, please change the CPU or memory Frequience" what the hell does that mean? lol... i just added 2 more sticks of the EXACT same memory. any help is apreated, i will put my sustem info and links below.

RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology

XFX nForce 790i URTLA
Q9300 overclocked at 1600FSB (was running at 1800, brought it down to check the ram, still wont boot) 1.6***** Volts
Ram stock clocked at 1600FSB 1.9 Volts
FSB voltage: 1.35

If you need any more info just ask, and thanks again
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStang View Post
Meh, if my car comes back not on fire after my wife drives it, I consider it a good day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super WOP View Post
Heavy is the opposite of light.

I'll get you some crayon and paper and draw it out for you if its too complex.
Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
dustinb

Well what version of Vista are you running, Vista 32 or Vista 64? The memory limit in Vista 32 is 4GB, so that could very well be your problem. As for reliability, I'm running vista on two of my computers, and everything runs great. I have 4GB DDR2 800 memory, at a CL of 4-4-4-12. The only time I ran into problems was when I tried to overclock my memory, and then I just got program crashes.

I would think that your problem right now is 32 bit Vista, or you have faulty memory. To test your memory, you can download a program called memtest (it's free, google MEMTEST), and using the ISO image they provide, burn a bootable CD. It will take quite a while to do a single pass on 8gb of ram, but it will tell you if there is something wrong with the memory or not.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickman View Post
Hello all, i have meen having some CRAZY problems with my comp ever since i built it (i think mostly cuz vista sucks) but i decided i wanted to go to 8GB of ram that way i know id have enough . but it showed up today, put it in and it starts to boot, then says, " System in safe mode, please change the CPU or memory Frequience" what the hell does that mean? lol... i just added 2 more sticks of the EXACT same memory. any help is apreated, i will put my sustem info and links below.

RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology

XFX nForce 790i URTLA
Q9300 overclocked at 1600FSB (was running at 1800, brought it down to check the ram, still wont boot) 1.6***** Volts
Ram stock clocked at 1600FSB 1.9 Volts
FSB voltage: 1.35

If you need any more info just ask, and thanks again

Either your timing is horribly out (probably not) or you got a bad stick of ram. Pull one of the new sticks out, test it, then pull the other out and test it.

And dustin, you can put 8GB in with 32bit, it'll just recognize 3.5GB (including video card memory)
mr_baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Head Mod yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
Well what version of Vista are you running, Vista 32 or Vista 64? The memory limit in Vista 32 is 4GB, so that could very well be your problem. As for reliability, I'm running vista on two of my computers, and everything runs great. I have 4GB DDR2 800 memory, at a CL of 4-4-4-12. The only time I ran into problems was when I tried to overclock my memory, and then I just got program crashes.

I would think that your problem right now is 32 bit Vista, or you have faulty memory. To test your memory, you can download a program called memtest (it's free, google MEMTEST), and using the ISO image they provide, burn a bootable CD. It will take quite a while to do a single pass on 8gb of ram, but it will tell you if there is something wrong with the memory or not.
It doesn't matter how much ram you have. it just wont utilize it beyond the limits of the OS.

About 1 out of every 50 sticks of memory we get is usually faulty it does happen.

And stop all this over clocking nonsense.
Victoria SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

+1 on dial back the overclocking. It can make windows unstable, and even crash your O/S and require a wipe & reload.

There is a very fine line between reliabilty & o/cing

Well Spank My Ass And Serve Me A Milkshake!!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Turn off 'SLI ready memory' (or something to that effect) in the bios... I know the EVGA SLI boards have the same problem if you have 4 sticks of ram.
lardo4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #7

SLI mem is off.
i only changed that main timmings ( 7-7-7-24 cuz the auto had it set to 7-7-7-20) all the rest i left on "auto"
and the computer boots fine if i have the FSB for the ram at 1333 ... but isent this 1600 FSB ram? or am i reading it wrong?
and yeah i have a 64 but OS
and i have ran memtest b4, it seemed to be ok, but ill run it again tonight all night.

Quote:
Meh, if my car comes back not on fire after my wife drives it, I consider it a good day.
Quote:

Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #8

You're computer setup scares me. That's a 1333 FSB rated processor...
Old 01-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #9

im not talking about the CPU, i knwo about that :P

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Head Mod yo

Set all the shit to factory default.

Configure BIOS to your CPU specifications.

Reboot.

Don't fuck with it.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

That would make too much sense
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
Head Mod yo

Quote:
im not talking about the CPU, i knwo about that :P
Wait, wait, wait...

For starters you are throwing out terms left and right and not making any sense.

There is only one Front Side Bus, that is from your processor. You have a RAM Bus as well. They both connect to the North bridge, that is what is controlling your memory. From there it is gonna go to your Video Card, and to the South Bridge (South Bridge goes to the rest of your I/O slots etc).

If you have your Memory Bus and your Front Side Bus at different speeds you are generally gonna run into some problems, unless you have an asynchronous board. This can allow you to run faster memory clocks and shit.

You have different modules running at different speeds all over the place.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #13

"Configure BIOS to your CPU specifications" what do you mean my that ecacally, and i have the FSB at 1333 and it still locked once already.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

*Warning - Im sort of advising about overclocking so if you don't know what you are doing and F something up DONT Blame me..! *

Not really about over clocking. but.. Even at stock speeds there can be problems with the auto settings...
Some ram / boards dont do well with stock frequency / voltages in 4 stick configurations. Most are tested with 2 stick configs.

In 4 stick configurations sometimes people have to raise the stock voltage on the ram to get it stable at stock speeds even.

Now I am not saying raise your ram voltages ... until you can troubleshoot it more and pinpoint that it due to voltage problem .... Ie run mem test.. on all 4 sticks... at stock .. if you get error, take out 2 sticks repeat.. test .. if it passes swap the 2 sticks repeat. If that passes as well, then it could be due to 4 stick config . if it fails at any of the 2 stick tests , more then likely it is a bad stick.
Semper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:07 AM   #15

ran memtest with everything at stock (excpt the Voltage for the ram, it had to be at 1.9 it says on the sticks) and memtest crashed. i woke up to a white screen. and i think something is realy fucked, cux now i cant connect to MSN or windows update again... *sigh*....... help? could it be the board? :S

**edit**

i just say the my clock was reset to Jan 1 2003...i set it to the right date and the msn and windowes updater works...wtf is going on :S

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Hickman; 01-09-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #16

I say it's probably faulty sticks of RAM, or not enough voltage to the RAM. Try raising the voltage a little. Or take out the new sticks and give it a try. Or were you still having problems before the new sticks were put in?

§[]D€€Ð Ѐ[\/]Ö|\| 4 L I F E!

My CarDomain
My Honda Showoff
tamazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #17

i was still have problems before the new ram, but with just the 2 sticks (new or old) it boots at 1600, but with 4 it wont, i might just run them at 1333 at lower timmings tho..

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Congratulations. Welcome to overclocking
Darb 2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #19

well, its at a friends house have some things checked out (he works for FS) and so far he can tell me what its NOt, lol, its NOT the CPU and not the board (90%) its eather going to be the ram or GPU's he is thinking. eather way i dont really care, all thoes parts are covered by warrintie.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #20

Quote:
well, its at a friends house have some things checked out (he works for FS) and so far he can tell me what its NOt, lol, its NOT the CPU and not the board (90%) its eather going to be the ram or GPU's he is thinking. eather way i dont really care, all thoes parts are covered by warrintie.
Not if they've been overclocked. That's the joy of overclocking.

And it's NOT the gpus. You'd be getting a different error.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #21
Technology Information Auditor

You don't burn stuff out overclocking and then send it back for a warranty claim.
No offense, but it doesn't really sound like you know what you are doing. I would advise not doing any overclocking.

Last edited by aspect; 01-10-2009 at 01:18 PM.
aspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #22

Quote:
i was still have problems before the new ram, but with just the 2 sticks (new or old) it boots at 1600, but with 4 it wont, i might just run them at 1333 at lower timmings tho..
What I think is that you're not running enough voltage to your ram... My setup may be different that yours but I needed to up my voltage when I put 4 sticks in. I'm at 2.35v right now. But then again, mine's rated at 2.20v stock.

But if everything fails, then I recommend just running everything at default before something else goes wrong.

My CarDomain
My Honda Showoff

Last edited by tamazoid; 01-10-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #23

i was having problems befoer i started overclocking. just not as frequently. and i wont say i know nuthing abuot what im doing, but i will say that i have a lot to learn. and what i plan on doing is after i figure out what the problem is, im going to fix it then start at base and hopefully get help with my next over clock. and also, the RAM and GPU's were NEVER overclocked, only the CPUand that is fine (so the test says). for the most part the ram was UNDERCLOCKED. and the ram is raited at 1.9V so maybe to get it to run at 1600 somewhere around 2.05? (going off your setup? i tried putting it up to 1.925 and that did not help, but then again, i culd not find any max voltage specks for my ream like i could for my CPU so i did not wanna push it too far.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #24

Quote:
i was having problems befoer i started overclocking. just not as frequently. and i wont say i know nuthing abuot what im doing, but i will say that i have a lot to learn. and what i plan on doing is after i figure out what the problem is, im going to fix it then start at base and hopefully get help with my next over clock. and also, the RAM and GPU's were NEVER overclocked, only the CPUand that is fine (so the test says). for the most part the ram was UNDERCLOCKED. and the ram is raited at 1.9V so maybe to get it to run at 1600 somewhere around 2.05? (going off your setup? i tried putting it up to 1.925 and that did not help, but then again, i culd not find any max voltage specks for my ream like i could for my CPU so i did not wanna push it too far.
Yea... I wouldn't push it until you know for sure what's wrong... I'm just saying my first guess is the RAM. Either faulty or under voltage. Like Semper says at the top, some board don't run well with 4 stick configurations even at default/auto settings.

My CarDomain
My Honda Showoff
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

When RAM is rate for a certain voltage, it needs to be run at THAT voltage to work properly.

If you had problems before you overclocked, then why did you overclock?

Of course it doesnt work.
Darb 2k is offline   Reply With Quote