REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Exclamation Blitz GT-R, RWD, manual tranny

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php/200...t-r-goe?blog=4
Advertisement

Last edited by Timpo; 01-09-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
I don't get it

The Hollinger gearbox is insane $15k for a tranny.
BoySupra604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

manual GTR at last
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoySupra604 View Post
The Hollinger gearbox is insane $15k for a tranny.
thats cheaper then the $20k GR6 replacement
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

what?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
no 6spd no care

a sequential gearbox? might as well have left the stock gb in and replaced when it broke imo.
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Resident Bullshitter

its a drift car, its a lot easier to drift with a clutch
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i take my remark back
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "

Last edited by Leopold Stotch; 01-10-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
how much lighter is it?
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Who cares if its 5 or 6 speed? Makes no difference really. The fact that its actually manual is the most important part. I guess the only way to do this was to eliminate the AWD aspect though. I guess its only a matter of time before someone makes and manual AWD gearbox. I'm certain it will sell. Guys could take out their stock tranny and sell it to the other guys who broke theirs and get the manual for not much difference in price.

Berz out.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi128 View Post
how much lighter is it?
lol read the article it's like the 6th line or something...

"Blitz have not yet completed the car but the removal of a significant amount of AWD drivetrain has lightened the car considerably. The job’s not completed however so they cannot give a definitive answer on exactly how much."
OffroadZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Who cares if its 5 or 6 speed? Makes no difference really. The fact that its actually manual is the most important part. I guess the only way to do this was to eliminate the AWD aspect though. I guess its only a matter of time before someone makes and manual AWD gearbox. I'm certain it will sell. Guys could take out their stock tranny and sell it to the other guys who broke theirs and get the manual for not much difference in price.

Berz out.
while that's true, by the time you add in the cost of a clutch, pedals, and all the labour to set up the new transmission (installing pedals, running hydraulic lines, etc), you're looking at a fair jump in price...not that that will likely matter to your average R35 owner haha
OffroadZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

That is super awesome. Props to Bitz for having the nuts to just rip all of that crap out and start over. Pretty cool, man that'd be a neat project to be working on.

And yeah, saying that transmission is basically the same because it happens to be sequential could not be further from the truth.

You have a clutch pedal and you are actually in charge of the engagement between the engine and driveline for one thing. That's actuially kinda a big deal.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

Berz out.
also like i said, this is a drift car, it will only stay in 1st, 2nd and 3rd most of the time only.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
what really matters is the gear ratios.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #16
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadZuki View Post
lol read the article it's like the 6th line or something...

"Blitz have not yet completed the car but the removal of a significant amount of AWD drivetrain has lightened the car considerably. The job’s not completed however so they cannot give a definitive answer on exactly how much."
lol

reading's not my forte

but this gtr might be smth to be lookin at. like for the next gtr lm cause in the past yrs its always been a lighter rwd unit. Thing is that tranny is a bit of a waste imo considering the flappy paddle works the same way ...........
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

What a useless article about a completely vaporware car. They spend more time talking about the carbon hood and cosmetic parts than they to the transmission.

First off, Holinger makes a sequential gearbox to replace the Nissan dual-clutch gearbox. It bolts to the engine up front and the Nissan transfer case in the rear. This means the car remains AWD. Blitz has nothing to do with the gearbox, probably because they lack the engineering expertise to make their own box. If they did, then there'd be no reason to buy a gearbox from somebody else.

Which begs the next question: How are they going to remove the front portion of the AWD system to make the car RWD? This involves either replacing the Nissan transfer case with their own system or trying to modify the Nissan transfer case. I bet they have to source some other type of rear diff and fabricate some method to mount the diff and connect drive axles.

Then comes the really hard part. The computers in the GTR for the engine, transmission, ABS and AWD system are all connected via a high-speed network. They constantly communicate parameters back and forth to allow the various systems to work together. I want to know how Blitz is going to make sure other systems (like engine & brakes) still work properly when they have suddenly lost communication (and data) from the computers Blitz will have to remove when the old tranny, rear end and front diff come out.

Like I said, this car is vaporware as its finest.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Eric, it's a lot of work, but it's not as hard as you think. Well, at least, IMO. I hope this doesn't come off as argumentative, I just think this is a cool topic to play "what if" with, especially since this sorta came up in another thread a GTR owner posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
First off, Holinger makes a sequential gearbox to replace the Nissan dual-clutch gearbox. It bolts to the engine up front and the Nissan transfer case in the rear. This means the car remains AWD. Blitz has nothing to do with the gearbox, probably because they lack the engineering expertise to make their own box. If they did, then there'd be no reason to buy a gearbox from somebody else.

You realize Hollinger actually makes quite a few different transmissions, right?
Also, wether you lack the engineering expertise or not, it's rarely economical to buy a facility to make you own gearbox just for the hell of it.
It's pretty standard to have a company that SPECIALIZES in making gearboxes, make your gearbox.

Automakers don't generally make their own gears boxes either. That why copanies like Getrag and Borg Warner exist.

Quote:
Which begs the next question: How are they going to remove the front portion of the AWD system to make the car RWD? This involves either replacing the Nissan transfer case with their own system or trying to modify the Nissan transfer case. I bet they have to source some other type of rear diff and fabricate some method to mount the diff and connect drive axles.
You pull the front axles out and put plugs in where they go into the diff. No "system" to it.
As far as the rear diff goes, that's easy. Just a matter of driveshafts. I doubt they would actually replace the diff.

Quote:
Then comes the really hard part. The computers in the GTR for the engine, transmission, ABS and AWD system are all connected via a high-speed network. They constantly communicate parameters back and forth to allow the various systems to work together. I want to know how Blitz is going to make sure other systems (like engine & brakes) still work properly when they have suddenly lost communication (and data) from the computers Blitz will have to remove when the old tranny, rear end and front diff come out.

Nope, that's easy.

1) rip the "high speed network out

2) Install a standalone engine management system

3) Install a wilwood brake master cylinder and bin all of the ABS related stuff

4) Install a standard transmission (which I guess they did)

5) Install standard suspension and dampers.

You might be right and the car is BS, but this is totally doable. If I had the capital I would do it. I've done this on smaller scales for a few guys before.

I'd just machine an adapter plate to run a Tremec/Richmond/Jericho/T56 manual transmission with a standard hydraulic clutch. 1 piece driveshaft right to the rear diff. Put an EMS in, chuck the antilock braking, install standard dampers.

You have a serious beast of a car with not "parental control settings" telling you what you can or cannot do with it.

Last edited by Captain Bondo; 01-11-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
What a useless article about a completely vaporware car. They spend more time talking about the carbon hood and cosmetic parts than they to the transmission.

Like I said, this car is vaporware as its finest.

This car will be running in the D1GP series in 2010 driven by Nomura Ken
the car is probably pretty custom build like those D1 EVOs.
the Blitz D1 R35 is nothing more then a R35 chassis with a VR38DETT

please tell me how did various system worked together in cars for the past 50 years before they were linked together by computers? well i can tell u that everything worked mechanically.

it also wasn't hard to make the R35 into RWD especially when they have a custom gearbox. if you knew how the R35 AWD works, its was designed as a RWD with a driveshaft connecting to the front wheels. since they are using a custom gearbox, all they needed to do was remove all that crap and bolt on the new gearbox to the exsisting driveshaft and drive the rear wheels alone.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
Resident Bullshitter

Tuners that mod D1 cars could make an EVO into RWD with its engine layout completely changed... I don't see how hard it could be for Blitz to make a native RWD platform car back to RWD.