REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
"Violation Ticket Cancelled"?

About 3 or 4 years ago I got a speeding ticket on Steveston Highway in Richmond. I was in the outer lane travelling east, and the officer was in the outer lane travelling west. He performed a U-Turn, caught up to me and pulled me over.

I remember the officer telling me he clocked me at 79km/h (50 zone on steveston highway). I didn't feel I was going that fast, nor did my little sister, my aunt or my fiancee who were all in the car with me, but I wasn't going to argue with the officer. He gave me a ticket, and we went on our way. (This was my first and only traffic ticket I have ever received by the way).

Since I had the day off, I went to ICBC later that day and paid the ticket. About a week later, I got a letter in the mail from ICBC stating "Your violation ticket has been canncelled" accompanied by a cheque for the amount of the ticket.

Since then, I have been wondering what would cause the ticket to be cancelled? Could the radar gun have been out of calibration?
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 01-13-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
if it was cancelled, its off your drivers abstract, and you got reimbursed - penalty points removed too, happy new year?
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I remember this happening to me as well. I was coming down Quadra Street almost at the highway turn, doing about 80, it was about 10 at night and the cops were hiding in that church. I got stopped, the cop gave me a break because she said there was no traffic etc, so she gave me the lower fine. I knew I had no chance of beating it in court, so I didn't bother to dispute it. Before I went in to pay it, I got a letter in the mail from ICBC saying the ticket had been cancelled. Why?
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
if it was cancelled, its off your drivers abstract, and you got reimbursed - penalty points removed too, happy new year?
This I already know.

I am asking WHY the ticket may have been cancelled.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

The most likely cause is that the officer did not fill out the violation ticket correctly and the ICBC Traffic Ticket Unit cancelled it.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
racing & tech mod.

There was a instance a few years ago of an officer from Delta or Richmond that issued a spate of tickets during a short period time, all of which where cancelled because he was doing something wrong (can't remember if it was incorrect radar/lidar operation or incorrect paperwork) but there are provisions for tickets to be cancelled by the detachment or ICBC if they notice something wrong with how they were issued.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
There was a instance a few years ago of an officer from Delta or Richmond that issued a spate of tickets during a short period time, all of which where cancelled because he was doing something wrong (can't remember if it was incorrect radar/lidar operation or incorrect paperwork) but there are provisions for tickets to be cancelled by the detachment or ICBC if they notice something wrong with how they were issued.
I wonder if this was that instance. That day the police were definately targetting the stretch of steveston highway between #3 and #5, just a few blocks up the road from where I was pulled over the unmarked RCMP minivan had another person pulled over. And on my way back home, the same officer who pulled me over had yet another car pulled over.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4