REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Stolen Car

So my dad had his car up for sale, somebody came to take a look at it and next thing you know the man stole the car. My dad phoned it in right away and reported it stolen, later that day went down to the police station and told them the story. Went to icbc the next day and gave him the extra set of keys he had for the car and they told him he had to wait 22 days before they would pay him out for his car. Well 22 days passed and still no car so he went down to icbc in hope of getting his money but the lady from icbc told him it was in the hands of the estimator now and she didn't know how long it would take. Well another week went past after the 22 days so he phoned icbc again and they said they were still waiting for the police report. Well today on day 31 after the car being stolen the police found his car and it in "great shape". Im wondering if he is going to be stuck with his car or once it hits the 22 days is the car is no longer his.
Advertisement
b_harris686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Well, that is something he will have to talk to ICBC about. But my understanding of it is since your dad has not been paid out, it is still his car so he is stuck with it.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Retired Traffic Cop

My understanding, which could easily be wrong, is that the car is still his. If ICBC had honoured the claim and paid out, then it would be theirs.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I suggest your Dad have the car gone over with a microscope by as very good mechanic. You can't see internal damage or even things like cooked brakes or worn tyres...the expression "drive it like you stole it" comes to mind. It's very likely it was abused and a cosmetically fine outside can hide lots of heartbreak.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Also if it was stolen by a drug user they often use the car for a long time living in it and doing their drugs in it. I caught a guy trying to steal a car one time and made a citizens arrest and held him until the police showed up. I found out after that he had just finished shooting heroin in the car before he tried to steal it. There was a used needle and other stuff on the passenger seat of the car. ICBC hires a company to clean the car before they give it back sometimes I would INSIST that this be done.

Berz out.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Such a nice wrx too. to bad it had to be stolen Hope your dad gets the money instead of the most likely rat bagged car back.
dbeggs686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

my gf's dad got his car stolen!

she said that they have insurance for their own car ( collision? )
she also said that she has been told that their loss will not be covered by icbc but by the house insurance.

so I called ICBC claim centre to make sure.
the lady over the phone told me that the car would be covered by ICBC but she was not sure about all the other stuff in the car since you are not supposed to leave anything in the car and also said that it would be better for me to call auto insurance broker.

However, one of my other buddy told me that when his car was vandalized he received all the money for his belongings that he left in his car. ( head unit, watch, sunglasses etc )

so.. which one is right?

icbc try not to cover stuff that they are supposed to ??
or
stolen car and vandalism is whole different story?

they want their stuff to be covered by icbc and is there anyway???

thanks in advance guys!!
onesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

icbc does not cover personal contents left in vehicle. Only covers contents that are attached to the vehicle or bolted to vehicle and may only cover up to a limit (ie. Stereo is installed into vehicle coverage up to $1000 max including all sound equipment such as amplifiers subwoofers and such) with comprehensive coverage. Additional insurance for excess stereo equipment would have to be purchased to cover the exceeding $1000. I believe for aftermarket modifications such as body kits, spoilers, wheels exhaust and performance parts up to $5000 part of comprehensive coverage.

Usually sunglasses, watches, clothes and such are NOT covered from icbc.

Its ICBC's job to NOT cover as much as they can in most cases..

As for exceeding the 22 day period, if the vehicle is still in the hands of icbc at the moment speak with the claim centre manager. Tell them your case was not handled in protocol and that you should have been paid out for the vehicle at the 22nd day as per the icbc regulations and your "estimator" did a poor job in following those regulations by neglecting to come into contact with you.

That is if you want cash instead of your vehicle back.
That beind said, if you do decide to get your vehicle back, ask them to have the entire interior vehicle sanitized and mechanically inspected before accepting the vehicle back.

As well did you know; if you have an immobilizer system of some sort ie. Alarm or Touchkey from bcaa or even a club for the steering wheel, any sort of immobilizer anti-theft device, icbc will waive the deductable if your vehicle is stolen. Not a lot of people are aware of that "right" with icbc.