REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

ICBC Discovery Exam - Hit by Drunk ICBC Worker

Hi,

I have a discovery exam with ICBC this week in Downtown, and I was wondering how is it like and were there any questions, tricks that the ICBC lawyer may try to pull off that I have to watch out for? I also have a lawyer with me, so that should help. I like to go in very prepared. The accident occurred 4 years ago when rear ended by a drunk ICBC driver. Yeah that's right, a drunk ICBC driver. It was a serious accident too where the car was destroyed & had to get a new one. Had to go thru physio, gym, etc.

Well anyways, any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Advertisement
Solaris1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I would think that your lawyer would be the best person to talk to. He/she has probably been through a lot of these before, so therefore could tell you what to expect.
dai3yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

he rear ended you.. he's at fault 100% no matter what i think..
RC0310_EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
sorry but what is a discovery exam ?
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

"ICBC driver"

what?...
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0310_EJ View Post
he rear ended you.. he's at fault 100% no matter what i think..
He's not asking about the liability as it's pretty clear cut (as you stated).

He's going into something called 'Discovery for examination' or something like that. I've never had to go through one myself, so I cannot offer any other advice other than what I've posted above.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
"ICBC driver"

what?...
BoS_DC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #8

This is what a ICBC discovery exam is:

http://icbclaw.com/blog/examinations...our-icbc-claim

I'm just looking for any tips or advice to get through the process. It's like 3 hours of questioning by the ICBC lawyer about your accident when the claim hasn't settled yet after a few years. Any personal experiences would be great.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
racing & tech mod.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 06-20-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 06-20-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
LMAO @ ICBC driver.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
A person who drives icbc?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

an ICBC employee maybe?
StewartJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartJD View Post
an ICBC employee maybe?
thats my guess
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #15

My wife is going in for one of these shortly as well. She was in a car with her mother when they were hit basically head on by another vehicle. The woman who owned the vehicle that hit them had decided it would be a good idea to allow her 15 year old son drive the car through POCO. Awesome huh?

Anyway, the amount the lawyer is asking for really isn’t even that much. My wife’s knee is messed up pretty much for life. Her mother just got a settlement check, but they are taking my wife’s claim to court, so she will have to do this too.

If anyone has any experience with a discovery examination”, please post up!
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #16

Yes, it was an ICBC employee that was drunk. He had a few drinks that night.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I am a lawyer and have conducted a quite a few Examination for Discovery. Some of the exams have lasted a few days and others just a few minutes. I have one tmw morning which is a continuation from this past Monday. I can give you a few tips here, but I'm sure you're lawyer will guide you.

- The main objective of a Examination for Discovery is for the the other side's lawyer to get as much information they can out of you under oath.
-The questions are based on documents/information the other side has.
-If the other lawyer starts fishing for answers on irrelevent matters you're lawyer should step in and object.
- You will find, and will probably get really annoyed that the same question will be asked to you multiple times, but in different wording. At times you will probably want to jump across the table and slap the lawyer and say, "How many f'in times are you going to ask me the same bloddy question?" - The name of the game here is consistency, they want to make sure you're consistent with your answer.
- Everything that gets said at a examination for discovery is transcribed by the court reporter word for word. Both sides will later get a transcript.
- If/When you go to trial the opposing side will have your transcribed answers, and may ask you the same questions again. If at that time your answers differ than how you answered previously, well needless to say any competent lawyer will pounce on you, and challenge your credibility.
- The last thing I can advise you is that, you MUST answer the absolute minimum that is required you. Say for example, if I hold a pen in my hand and ask you, "Do you know what this is?" Your answer should ONLY and ONLY be "Yes" nothing more nothing less (keep in mind I'm assuming here you know what a pen is, lol). This is the number 1 tip I offer my clients before they are going in for a discovery.

Just be calm, and collective and answer the question to the best of your recollection. Take your time and think about what you are going to say. If you do not know the answer, don't try to make one up, simply reply "I don't know" or "I don't recall"

The main reason why examinations will take FOREVER, like my continuation one tmw, is because the person answering will try to be a wise ass and answer everything under the sun expect for the question actully asked. This really isn't a bad thing for the lawyer conducting the exam. The more time times you have to ask the same question to get a answer the more it seems you have something to hid and therefore don't want to offer a straight answer.
Best of Luck

Last edited by Uncle Benz; 01-15-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Solid advice from above.

THINK before you answer. Don't give them ammo by unconsciously inferring that your life is now "fine" and back to "normal".

Like said earlier, your lawyer will definitely have more detailed pointers.

Best of luck!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

my dad went thought this. basically answer "I don't know I'm not a doctor" for everything to cover your ass incase you have an injury pop up at a later date.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #20

Thanks for all the advice. It was very useful.

So I'll briefly describe how it went. The ICBC lawyer that I had to deal with, I have to admit, was very annoying. Cuz the accident happened around 4 years ago, the lawyer would ask random months of each year, & ask for what % I have recovered & the frequency of the pain of each body part that was injured. And then, the lawyer would go back & ask again for the % recovery & pain frequency to see if it matches exactly what I've said before going around in circles.

For example, making this up, I would answer on March 07, my lower back recovered ~30% - pain 5-6x's/month, shoulder ~40% - pain constant few days/wk, neck ~80% - pain - ~3hr/day kinda thing . Then the lawyer will ask again for the same data for the other months of those years. I think I was asked for data for ~10+ months and then repeated again. It was getting pretty ridiculous, and was like a memory test. Good thing I'm good with numbers.

End result, the ICBC lawyer was pissed that I didn't forget my numbers, I can tell by the frustration from their face. A Kodak moment. My lawyer was also pissed and actually yelled the ICBC lawyer to stop playing games, since my lawyer never seen anything like this before.

Then the lawyer would spend 25% of the time asking details of the job which I found pretty irrelevant to the case.

Anyways, hopefully anyone would find this useful. I never expected the ICBC lawyer would pull something like this. I got smashed by an ICBC drunk driver, & an ICBC lawyer wants to screw around, I don't think so. Again thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Solaris1234; 01-17-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #21

I don't think that the fact that it was an ICBC employee that hit you or the fact that an ICBC lawyer was questioning you makes a difference!! All lawyers are like that!!! They try all the tricks to try and trip you up!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #22
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Generally the objective of a discovery is to trip up who ever is at the receiving end. The truth value of the answers is based consistency. The credible people maintain it, and the non credible people trip up.
Our client expects the best out of us, and we try to defend/put forward our client's position. If ICBC were my client and their instructions to me was that you are not as injured as you claim you are I would design my questions based on those instructions. It's nothing personal against the person we're questioning. The lawyers understand this and will usually get along quite well before and after the discovery, or at other times in Court. Often times clients complain that we are too friendly with the other side's lawyer.
At the discovery I had last Friday, opposing counsel and I were getting along great during the breaks. We were discussing discussing vacation plans, office locations hybrid car technologies etc...
Now that you've been through one of these you have some experience now, and will know what to expect, if there is ever another one.

Last edited by Uncle Benz; 01-18-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 AM   #23

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoS_DC2 View Post
so... get two fingers in there... as in kids in a sand box style?
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote