REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Volkswagen BlueSport concept

Stolen partially from Vancouver side. Is anyone else as thoroughly impressed as I am? I can't wait for these to hit the streets!

Quote:
Volkswagen celebrates comeback of the compact roadster
Wolfsburg/ Detroit, 11 January 2009 - Maximum driving fun with minimal fuel consumption: This is the standard by which Volkswagen is starting the new car year 2009 and is presenting the roadster Concept BlueSport at the North American International Auto Show. "The BlueSport proves to be a compact and passionate car with a clear Volkswagen signature. The car offers pure dynamics with a powerful 180 PS Clean Diesel engine that is combined with the characteristic Volkswagen philosophy of efficiency," confirmed Volkswagen's Chairman of the Board, Prof. Martin Winterkorn in Detroit.

The Concept BlueSport is making its appearance at the car show in Detroit with a Flex Silver exterior and orange fabric convertible top. "It is the symbiosis of outstanding technology and timeless Volkswagen design that makes this car an exceptional sports car. Its styling is clear and is reduced to the essentials; the car body itself has a lean and linear structure", explains Volkswagen chief designer Walter de Silva. The interior shows finesse in details and conveys a high level of technological fascination. Immediately visible to the eye is the intuitive and easy to operate touchscreen. Perfectly adapted to the interior are the leather upholstered seats in lightweight construction with their single-piece seatbacks.

Behind the two sport seats of the 3.99 meter long Concept BlueSport, a 132 kW / 180 PS strong Clean Diesel (TDI) with common rail injection and downstream NOx storage catalytic converter delivers dynamic performance. A 6-speed DSG dual clutch transmission – the most economical and agile transmission system in the world – transfers power to the rear wheels. In just 6.6 seconds the sports car is moving at 100 km/h; its top speed is 226 km/h. Also having a positive impact on the car's low fuel consumption of just 4.3 l/100 km and reduced emissions are two technologies that are part of the so-called Eco mode: an automatic start-stop system and energy regeneration. Together they propel the Concept BlueSport to an additional fuel savings of up to 0.2 liter per 100 kilometers in city driving.

Quote:
Volkswagen is taking the North American International Auto Show in Detroit by storm this year with the world debut of an all-new mid-engined, rear-wheel drive roadster concept, the Volkswagen Concept BlueSport.

Named Concept BlueSport to define its environmental and sporting aspirations, the two-seat roadster, combines a highly efficient, mid-mounted common rail diesel engine with a lightweight chassis structure to put the emphasis on simplicity and sharp dynamics.

The Volkswagen Concept BlueSport is fitted with a four-cylinder 2.0-litre TDI engine which produces 180 PS and 258 lbs ft of torque from 1,750 rpm. Power is transferred to the rear wheels through a six-speed dual clutch DSG gearbox and sees the Concept BlueSport accelerate from standstill to 62 mph in 6.6 seconds and go on to a top speed of 140 mph.

Despite its sporting focus the adoption of lightweight materials, coupled with a 45:55 weight distribution and multi-link rear suspension allows the Volkswagen Concept BlueSport to strike a balance between agility and economy - the Concept emits just 113 g/km of CO2, while returning 65 mpg on the combined cycle. To improve fuel economy and emissions further the 'Eco' mode function can be engaged to activate an automatic Stop-Start system and braking energy regeneration.

Styled by a team led by Director of Design for Volkswagen, Klaus Bischoff and Director of the Design Centre in Potsdam, Thomas Ingenlath, Volkswagen Concept BlueSport combines an elegant profile with a purposeful stance, clean surfaces and innovative design details.

Finished in metallic 'Flex Silver' with a contrasting orange retractable fabric roof, the Concept BlueSport marks an evolution of Volkswagen design with short front and rear overhangs complemented by a set of unique multi-spoke 19-inch alloy wheels. The rear features distinctive high-intensity LED light clusters above an aerodynamic diffuser which incorporates twin tailpipes.

Measuring 3,990 mm in length, 1,260 mm high and 1,745 mm wide the Volkswagen Concept BlueSport is shorter than a Volkswagen Golf yet almost as wide. Despite the modest proportions the Volkswagen Concept BlueSport retains practical features such as a 112-litre loadspace under the bonnet and an additional 70-litres in the rear boot.

The colour of the Volkswagen Concept BlueSport's orange roof continues inside, with subtle styling and cabin lighting accents. The stylish lightweight sports seats are upholstered in black leather, while the dash-mounted touchscreen gives access to all information and entertainment functions.

The Volkswagen Concept BlueSport is a design study with no immediate plans for production. While it draws inspiration from the past it serves to reinterpret the concept of a mid-engined Volkswagen sports car.

Advertisement
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

nice interior.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I love the idea of a 2 seater roadster, I love the idea of a diesel engine. But I don't know if I like the idea of them together. I feel the need to rev when in a roadster. I guess i'll have to wait and see.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Banned (BBM)

for what it is, a 2 seater gas miser roadster.

I think its awesome.

Beats thoses stupid fortwos.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
dustinb

Looks like a wicked car. It appears to be a cross between the first gen Porsche Boxster and the Honda S2000.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I like it right down to the storage space. At 112l capacity up front, that's near the same size as most sport compact 2 door trunks. This would be a killer car for weekend getaways etc. I'm on board with this one.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Coolest econo car ever. It looks like they've copied the Miatas Z-fold soft top. Kinda looks like an S2000/Audi TT offspring.
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I'd buy it if it could come without the DSG, autos by any name do not belong in lightweight sportscars.

Rides:
'05 VW Golf TDI (boosted econobox :evil )
'03 Kawasaki KLX400R (wheelie king)
'84 Italian (daily driver)
'83 RZ-350 (recovered, all except for the electrical)
RZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I assumed it was TT based. Looks nice minus the orange though.
ChrisStang is offline   Reply With Quote