REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Snell approved helmets?

going to join a drivers training program at mission and need a Snell Foundation approved helmet SA95 or newer. where the hell can i buy one locally. and whats a decent brand? bell? thx !
Advertisement
elyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
racing & tech mod.

First of all, you need an SA2005 helmet. Forget about the "snell" label, as motorcylce helmets are also Snell tested. You need an SA2005 (special application) Do not buy an M2005 helmet. (that is for motorcycles)

There are a TON of brands: RCi, HJC, Bell, Arai, to name a few. You basically have to try each one to see which is the most comfortable for you. You do NOT need to buy the $1000 Arai GP5W helmet. The $200 RCi will work just fine. BUT it has to be comfortable for you.

You can get the RCi's at MOPAC performance, You can get Bell's at Driver's Edge Autosport, and Arai's are available at Speedware in Seattle, and one of our sponsors, Overseas auto, also sells a few brands of helmets. Like I said, you need to try them on before you commit to buying any of them.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #3

ya i do have a Shoei motorcycle helmet, but like you said its not SA. i thought i was good to go until i did some research.

thank you rich for your post. everything i need to know!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

are u going to attend lots of events?
if not, or if you don't know that if you will like it or not, there are helmets tat you should be able to borrow @ the track.

My Buy/Sell Rating
tnkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
depends on which club is holding the event. there might not be loaners. and would you want to use a helmet someone else has sweat in?

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^well, would you spend additional 400 bucks just for 1 event? you can get a head socks if you dont' like it. it is up to each individual. just my 2cent.

My Buy/Sell Rating
tnkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I haven't gone to an event in a while. But won't a motorcycle helmet be good enough? Or did they change the rules?

§[]D€€Ð Ѐ[\/]Ö|\| 4 L I F E!

My CarDomain
My Honda Showoff
tamazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

A SA-rated helmet need not be $400 -- you can get one for less than half that. Inexpensive if you decide to "get into it".

As to the helmet requirement, check with the organizer. SA2005 and you'll not have problems. The organizer may accept a SA2000 helmet or may even accept a M2005/M2000 helmet. Again, check with the organizer.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamazoid View Post
I haven't gone to an event in a while. But won't a motorcycle helmet be good enough? Or did they change the rules?
It sounds like you only participated in auto-cross, where motorcycle helmets are accepted. But on race tracks, an SA rated helmet has always been required.

I believe SA2000 helmets are the minimum for track events right now. If you are just "trying out" HPDEs, then maybe you can buy a used or older SA2000 helmet for cheap and then go like that.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #10

im definantly going to do as much autocross and track days as i can this year. i changed my mind and will not be going to the training course. i might just use my motorcycle helmet until im required to get an AS approved one.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
racing & tech mod.

Autocross is going to be extremely limited this year. We only have a couple of probationary dates which will be shared by all the clubs, and they will likely be filled up by pre-registered club members. An M2000 or M2005 is fine for autocross, though.

Like I said, most track day clubs usually have loaner SA helmets. Don't go out and buy one until you are hooked on track days... which you probably will be once you do one.

Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Depending on which club is running the event, you might not NEED an SA helmet. That being said, if you know you are going to run many events, then get an SA helmet. Also, when looking at them, don't just concern yourself with the price. Get one that fits right, and feels good. For one, the helmet is meant to protect something important so a proper fitting helmet is very very important. And since you will be wearing the helmet for 20-25 minute sessions at a time, get one that is comfortable. If you go cheap and get a heavy ass helmet, well guess how your neck will feel at the end of the day.

Lastly, look into the rules of the club hosting the event. Some might allow open faced helmets without eye protection, some might require goggles with open faced helmets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote