REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
On The Edge? Report Indicates Toyota May Be Running Short On Cash

Toyota’s Weakening Financials
January 22nd, 2009 at 11:17am

Toyota used to be in such a strong financial position that it earned the nickname the Bank of Toyota. That description no longer replies. Also, many industry observers are under the mistaken impression that Toyota has no corporate debt. That doesn’t apply anymore, either.As part of its ambitious global expansion efforts, Toyota’s borrowing and have debt load more than doubled over the last decade. In 2000 Toyota’s current liabilities* totaled ¥5.5 trillion, right now that stands at ¥12.4 trillion.

Although the company still has a solid balance sheet, it’s not as solid as it used to be. Moreover, the company is projecting it will lose money in the current fiscal year, something that has never happened before in its history.

This helps explain why Toyota is taking drastic action in the face of the current economic downturn, such as temporarily shutting down all of its manufacturing facilities in Japan. Now, even Toyota has to worry about how much cash it has on hand.

In its most recent financial report, Toyota states that it has ¥1.8 trillion in cash, which is roughly $18.5 billion, or about the same level of cash Ford reported in its most recent financial statement.

More tellingly, Toyotas total current liabilities (short term) now match its total current assets. In the past, Toyota’s current assets always exceeded its current liabilities. When a company’s liabilities exceed its assets, it has to dip into its cash reserves to make up the difference-unless its operations are generating positive cash flow. But right now Toyota is not generating positive cash flow.

This is the same situation that the Big Three found themselves in some years back, but failed to address. Toyota is obviously attacking the problem head-on. But it’s surprising to see how close the company has come to the edge of the cliff.

* current liabilities include: borrowing, long-term debt payments, accounts payable and accrued expenses.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Toyota should quit F1, much like Honda did and same as Audi in Le Mans
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

they will be fine as long as managements take proper corrective measures. Toyota will have a much easier time finding investors than the Big 3 because it is not as risky.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Any accountants want to comment?

From my understanding of accounting so far, sitting on a pile of cash is not necessarily a good thing. While cash is easily the most liquid asset, it's also an asset that's not being used to generate revenue.

Toyota is just balancing their budget. They could easily raise more capital if they wanted to with either stock offerings or bonds.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

so all that article did was state the obvious....lol
All companies are being affected now....big or small. Sure, Toyota might be losing money, but they aren't alone, and given the size of Toyota, they could continue to bleed money for years to come, before they are in serious trouble. I don't see Toyota going anywhere any-time soon.

Everybody always seems to assume that when a company down-sizes, they are in trouble. Although it might be true in some cases, most companies are taking what's called a "proactive" measure to minimize losses.

So, Toyota shut down manufacturing facilities in Japan....why? because NOBODY is buying brand new cars right now. What's the point in pumping out 100,000s of vehicles when they are just going to sit on the car lots?
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i can't think of ANY car manufacturer right now who is not in the red right now... it's just a matter of when they decide to announce it publicly (if they haven't already)...
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

the big 3 are burning through their cash at a much faster rate than Toyota. Toyota will come out of this crisis better than before they went in. And Ford just posted $5.9 billion loss this morning and F is supposed to be the healthiest of the three.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
EM2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I don't see Toyota going down anytime soon
EM2 is offline   Reply With Quote