REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Behind the Wheel - Bullying a New Driver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/562529-behind-wheel-bullying-new-driver.html)

skidmark 01-28-2009 07:39 PM

Behind the Wheel - Bullying a New Driver

It was not uncommon to be told that a new driver sign was not being displayed because adults took the sign as a signal to bully the new driver. I thought that was just a convenient excuse to give the policeman when you couldn't be bothered to make sure that the required sign was in place. After all, who wouldn't realize that a new driver deserved more room and a little leeway for mistakes because they were just beginning their driving career?

Fast forward to today's drive home from work. I looked left to see that I had been overtaken by a Jeep being driven by a driver displaying the N of a novice driver. That driver wasn't significantly over the speed limit but it was the behaviour of the adult piloting the four wheel drive pickup twice the size of that Jeep following behind it that upset me. There was about 2 meters of space between their bumpers at 80+ km/h. While the Jeep was centered in the fast lane, the truck was half on the left shoulder and half in the fast lane. He wanted by NOW!

This "adult" probably realized that they would be less likely to face consequences for their aggressive driving because young drivers rarely report it to police. In fact, I did not often investigate a driving incident of this nature where the complainant, young or old, was willing to back up a request for charges with a court appearance. If traffic enforcement is not present to intervene, this is the only way that the offending driver can be sanctioned for their disregard of others.

For this novice, the lesson learned may not have been a good one. Adults cannot be trusted to do the right thing in traffic, youth are taken advantage of or perhaps even that it does not matter how you drive, as long as you don't crash there's nothing to worry about. Instead, I hope that the resolve was not to drive like this inconsiderate bully because driving safely matters to us all.

Add Your Comment to the Story

jlenko 01-30-2009 10:26 AM

Good point... if I see a N driver driving like a dickwad, then I call 911 to report a dangerous driver.

If I see a non-N driver driving like a dickwad, then I call 911 to report a dangerous driver AND I do my best to make life miserable for him... ie, if I can get in front of him and drive the exact same speed as the guy next to me... thwarting his speeding... then it's GAME ON!!

;)

Great68 01-30-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6254200)

If I see a non-N driver driving like a dickwad, then I call 911 to report a dangerous driver AND I do my best to make life miserable for him... ie, if I can get in front of him and drive the exact same speed as the guy next to me... thwarting his speeding... then it's GAME ON!!

;)

Just what the roads need, vigilantes... :rolleyes:

Rich Sandor 01-30-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

if I can get in front of him and drive the exact same speed as the guy next to me... thwarting his speeding... then it's GAME ON!!
DON'T DO THAT. It doesn't help.

Fleemer 01-30-2009 03:32 PM

I noticed this when I was driving with my N and then had my full. I did experiements driving with ti and without to see what happened.

I found that with my N people rode me/tailgated almost on a constant basis, passed me constantly for no reason (i was going the speed limit, they passed me, when it front of me, then slowed down)

After the N was removed (having full) didn't notice it at all. No random passing or tailgating (other then the bad drivers) but it wasn't a common thing as it was before.

In the end I think people think N drivers can't drive and thus decide to drive around them, or force them to do what they want (ie speed up when tailgating) (noticed it with L too, often worse as I had my L when it was first introduced so people where often honking)

I didn't enjoy it at all.

zulutango 01-31-2009 08:28 AM

In my experience I could never see how anybody could get close enough to tailgate a "N" driver? :)
I did get lots of driving complaints about "N" drivers but never about them holing up traffic. Always about aggressive driving, speeding, unsafe passing etc. About 40% of the tickets I wrote were for "N" drivers...they do not make up 40% of the number of registered drivers in BC and are over-represented in the number and percentage of tickets written and crashes attended. Cops do not target N drivers in particular, we target the driving behaviours. When the driver is stopped it is then we find that they are novice drivers...many times without displaying the "N".

Saying that, I also dealt with many non-N drivers who are doing the same things I just mentioned above. We often would stick the dreaded "N" on the back of our unconventional unmarked units and not once did I personally experience, nor did any of the Members I worked with, ever experience or even hear of, deliberate targeting of novice drivers simply because they were novice drivers. Not saying that it never happened, just that we were unable to duplicate what you described when we were particularly looking for it.

Aggressive drivers will target anyone near them, novice or not, they don't need an "N" to set them off. As I drive the limits and obey all traffic laws in my own private vehicles, I experience the stuff you talked about above. Some people believe that the way they drive is a case of "mind over matter"...I don't mind...and YOU don't matter !!!!

jlenko 01-31-2009 09:10 AM

I guess my wink (aka internet sarcasm) was lost on you guys... I would never do that, but I see lots of people who do!!

Fleemer 01-31-2009 01:37 PM

i drove the same path (island highway) for a yar with my N and everyday same thing. I don't know if ti was just the rush hour traffic people being jerks or what, but i felt very uncomfortable with their driving habits.

I thought Victoria drivers where horrible until I went Vancouver ;P

netfreak 02-02-2009 11:46 PM

I find it more to do with the car I drive. 80's firebird, rarely got tailgated or had idiots trying to pull stunts. My CRX, the complete opposite. The "N" I'm sure is one factor, but I wouldn't be surprised if people are making assumptions about me based on the stereotypical drivers of my chosen vehicles and thinking they can get away with being a loser. When people drive like jerks behind me then pull up next to me in my CRX, their reaction is hilarious seeing a 220lb guy with a shaved head and a foot long beard.

zulutango 02-03-2009 06:06 AM

No more hilarious than seeing a 6ft 2 inch 190 lb Cop in uniform getting out of a Mini Cooper> :)