REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   2nd ticket, somewhat long read. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/563058-2nd-ticket-somewhat-long-read.html)

geeknerd 02-02-2009 01:01 AM

2nd ticket, somewhat long read.

currently im N.
I had my first ticket for running a red over a year ago and when i got that ticket i got a probation notice shortly after. Does anyone know what probation means and how long probation lasts? IIRC, the notice never said anything about when the probation ends.
recently got a speeding ticket (21-40km/h over) my 2nd ticket
My main concern is that when this current speeding ticket gets on the record = license suspend?

I have my class 5 coming up in 2 month, and I really really dont want to wait another 2 years.

If I'm bound to get a suspension I want to try and delay my ticket getting on record so i have thought of these:

I'm thinking of the paying this ticket on the 30th day from the day (end of feb) i got it so, it will take that much time to process.
or
dispute this ticket, hopefully get a late court date, take my road test, and then not show up and then pay the fine, because I know i was speeding and the cop was lenient on the ticket.

For option 2, as i said the cop was lenient on the ticket, and he issued me the lower one, but he said i can dispute it but if i dispute it, he will ask the judge to raise it to the excessive one.

Im scared that, he will get a notice of dispute or something and from that point he will raise/give another my ticket even before the court date?(is he able to?)? eventhough my intentions are only delaying the process and not actually fighting for the cancellation of the ticket.

Will i be able to take my road test with a dispute in process?

before i get flamed, I admit my wrong.
If you guys can say that I'm in the clear for a suspension, id be glad to pay my ticket right now.

thanks for long read.

impactX 02-02-2009 05:57 AM

If I am not mistaken, probation is around 2 years. So are you sure that you are eligible to take the class 5 test in 2 months?

Paying the ticket means the offense date is the date you are guilty of the offense. Disputing the ticket and lose means you are guilty of the offense on the court date.

wing_woo 02-02-2009 08:55 AM

If you manage to get your class 5 before the court date, then you can just write to the court and tell them you've decided to pay...I think. Then you won't have to go through the proceedings at court with the officer there.

geeknerd 02-02-2009 10:49 AM

thanks for the replies but no one seems to be sure.
anyone have a similar case in which two tickets were at least a year apart and did or did not get there license suspended during N?
two years for a probation? damnnnn?

wing_woo 02-02-2009 12:01 PM

If you file a dispute for the ticket, you will most likely not get a court day before 2 months. So, get your Class 5 done during that time and then pay off the ticket after your class 5. If you still get prohibited, at least when you get back your license, it'll be a Class 5.

moomooCow 02-02-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 6258745)
currently im N.
I had my first ticket for running a red over a year ago and when i got that ticket i got a probation notice shortly after. Does anyone know what probation means and how long probation lasts? IIRC, the notice never said anything about when the probation ends.
recently got a speeding ticket (21-40km/h over) my 2nd ticket
My main concern is that when this current speeding ticket gets on the record = license suspend?

I have my class 5 coming up in 2 month, and I really really dont want to wait another 2 years.

If I'm bound to get a suspension I want to try and delay my ticket getting on record so i have thought of these:

I'm thinking of the paying this ticket on the 30th day from the day (end of feb) i got it so, it will take that much time to process.
or
dispute this ticket, hopefully get a late court date, take my road test, and then not show up and then pay the fine, because I know i was speeding and the cop was lenient on the ticket.

For option 2, as i said the cop was lenient on the ticket, and he issued me the lower one, but he said i can dispute it but if i dispute it, he will ask the judge to raise it to the excessive one.

Im scared that, he will get a notice of dispute or something and from that point he will raise/give another my ticket even before the court date?(is he able to?)? eventhough my intentions are only delaying the process and not actually fighting for the cancellation of the ticket.

Will i be able to take my road test with a dispute in process?

before i get flamed, I admit my wrong.
If you guys can say that I'm in the clear for a suspension, id be glad to pay my ticket right now.

thanks for long read.

I'm in a similiar situation and what I'm doing right now is disputing it and then taking my class 5 in March and THEN paying it. ( I probably will pay it before the court date which I heard takes about a year... so if you dispute now you'll probably get a court date late this year or early next year. ) I'm not sure but I chose to dispute the allegations rather the fine because I'm assuming that if you're disputing the fine and not the allegation then basically you admit to the offence and are therefore served with the points.

impactX 02-02-2009 06:48 PM

You should call ICBC and see when is your probation up. You won't be able to take the Class 5 while still on probation.

netfreak 02-02-2009 11:32 PM

I got my second ticket two years to the month after my first ticket on my N. Still lost my license (both basic speeding, 3 points). Sounds like a two year probation, and I probably missed it by days.

geeknerd 02-08-2009 06:04 AM

My last question is:
the cop was lenient on the ticket, and he issued me the lower one, but he said i can dispute it, but if i dispute it, he will ask the judge to raise it to the excessive one.
If i dispute and mite as well go to court to see if the cop showed up,
a) if he did show up, can i plead guilty right away because the judge asks "how do u plea?" (from what ive seen on tv...)
and then im guilty. BUT cop will give me a new ticket for excessive speed? what are the chances.? if he does give me a new ticket then ill def dispute that one because im already paying the regular speeding one for the same act.

CRS 02-08-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 6269729)
My last question is:
the cop was lenient on the ticket, and he issued me the lower one, but he said i can dispute it, but if i dispute it, he will ask the judge to raise it to the excessive one.
If i dispute and mite as well go to court to see if the cop showed up,
a) if he did show up, can i plead guilty right away because the judge asks "how do u plea?" (from what ive seen on tv...)
and then im guilty. BUT cop will give me a new ticket for excessive speed? what are the chances.? if he does give me a new ticket then ill def dispute that one because im already paying the regular speeding one for the same act.

If you dispute, he can and will change it the higher one. If he changes it, you have to defend your case. And saying that you are already paying the lower one is not a defense as you are now being charged with excessive speeding instead of just a speeding ticket.

geeknerd 02-08-2009 04:56 PM

are you saying that:
cop can give me another ticket (excessive) after the fact that i plead guilty and lost
or
you're saying that cop is able to change it before i plea guilty

CRS 02-08-2009 05:13 PM

He can change the ticket before the judge even asks what you want to plead.

This is to say, if he sees you in the court room and he has his notes (which he will undoubtedly have), he can go up the judge and tell him that he wants to change your ticket from speeding to excessive speeding. From there, the judge will ask what you plead.