REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Mexico City

Anyone gone to Mexico City? The flight i'm planning has a 10 hour layover en route to Peru and a 12 hour layover on the way back.

I'm thinking of checking out the Pyramids of Teotihuacan. Is there anything in the city itself I should check out?
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Be very careful in Mexico right now. A friend just came back and he said people are getting killed left right and centre right now. They had to bring the army in to try to
control things.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Where in Mexico was your friend. Guaranteed not Mexico city.

Probably Tijuana. Mexico is a beautiful country, with some amazing history and people. Douche bags who stand around talking about what a shit hole it is have never been to Mexico, only to the American infested tourist traps.

Mexico City has its own set of problems, just like any other city. Go to the outskirts, and he country side, its a pretty amazing place.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
linguistic ninja

heh murdoc, you'll have to be more specific as to what region you're referring to, otherwise you'll just come across as ignorant. Mexico is huge - Its like my relatives in Asia who ask me if I was okay because of the "snowstorm in Canada". As far as I know Mexico city is only going through a water shortage, no one being killed left right and centre.

91CivicZC, I'd love to see the countryside but I only have 10 hours in Mexico city (7am-5pm) before I jet off to Peru. Was hoping if I could just hop a taxi or subway from the airport and checkout the city center. Or even catch a bus to the pyramids...

Has anyone flown Mexicana or AeroMexico Airlines?

Old 02-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I'm talking about in actual Mexico city. Last I heard that the rebels are trying to over throw the goverment etc.

This was about a month and a half ago tho
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

What about Cancun? I'm going there for spring break! anything i should look out for? recommendations? Tips?
Deezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
linguistic ninja

Murdoc, Source? The last time something even remotely like that happened was 2001 with the Zapatista rebels demonstrated in the capital. Please get your facts in order before you post any more.

Deezle, please piss off from my thread. Why is it for every thread about a real travel question some idiot can't use the search function for a topic that has been covered a hundred times? Do you go into a thread about New York and ask about Florida?

Fucking pisses me off.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #8

CivicBlues

I am pretty sure there are a few pyramids right around the city. I am sure if you ask, you should be able to get a quick look at them. Expect them to be covered in tourists though. Still a a great thing to see.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
linguistic ninja

Thanks for the comment 91civic, you seem to be the only one who gets it. Do you have any advice for the city itself?

I think from now on i'll stick to Thorntree for my questions.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Thanks for the comment 91civic, you seem to be the only one who gets it. Do you have any advice for the city itself?

I think from now on i'll stick to Thorntree for my questions.
I've never actually been into Mexico City itself, so I dont have much info to help you with there. My in Laws are all from the country lol.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I've been to Mexico City twice on business. Unfortunately, I didn't really get to go out very much as it was a come in, do my work, and leave type of trip.

Hopefully your Spanish is fairly good, as outside of airports and hotels, very few people speak English. Even cab drivers don't really speak English.

On the subject of cabs, my local "guide" suggested to not take any of the "Green Beetle" cabs. Google it and see what they say about it. Any cab you take from the airport will be OK though since they are "authorized taxi's". Also, the porters at the airport are pretty aggressive. I had one guy literally just pick up my small rollaway bag and put it in the trunk of the cab (didn't have to carry it anywhere) and bitched when I only tipped him $2USD. Just tell them politely no, or don't make eye contact.

I think the best bet is to see if they have some half day tours going on that you could take. Traffic and navigating the city is pretty difficult, and without the language skills and the street smarts, it may not be the best idea to go it on your own.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm talking about in actual Mexico city. Last I heard that the rebels are trying to over throw the goverment etc.

This was about a month and a half ago tho
Currently there are no travel warnings for people going to Mexico.
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/menu-eng.asp#M
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

If you only have 10 hours, you'd be very very tight for time to see the pyramids. Not to mention, clearing immigration is probably going to take 1-2 hours.

The city-center of Mexico City was one of my biggest surprises in traveling. It is very very nice. It's bustling, touristy, very walkable, served well by transit, and very safe. There are some very cool ruins, churchs, et al. right in the city center (about a 2km square radius). You could easily spend a couple of hours here just watching some of the street performances, browsing some of the ruins, grabbing a bite to eat, and browsing some of the markets. Best of all, it's only a 30 min metro ride from the airport.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
linguistic ninja

Thanks votrechein,
I actually have 12 hours on the way back too so i'm going to check the pyramids then.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

the last person I knew that went to Mexico city got detained by airport security, got taken down underground in some big basement, witnessed them shoot someone else in the head, and then had a gun stuck in his mouth for a few mins before some guy in a suite came running into the room and pulled him away....

and no I an not lying. apparently they didn't like something he had in his suitcase (nothing illegal). not sure why they shot the other guy, maybe he had drugs in his.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
the last person I knew that went to Mexico city got detained by airport security, got taken down underground in some big basement, witnessed them shoot someone else in the head, and then had a gun stuck in his mouth for a few mins before some guy in a suite came running into the room and pulled him away....

and no I an not lying. apparently they didn't like something he had in his suitcase (nothing illegal). not sure why they shot the other guy, maybe he had drugs in his.
umm yeah okay thanks, as per usual your post has contributed nothing to this thread.