REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Question about DVD player in a Car

So here's my question. Bought a flip out DVD deck, set in the front dash. Now the deck was used, and is not wired with any ebrake lock out code. What is the legality here? Obviously, watching a dvd while driving, or even having it play while driving is illegal, and for obvious reasons. But is even having it capable of playing illegal? Should there be a punitive measure attached to the possibility, but not the act? I just ask because really, I can watch a movie on my iphone, or laptop, both of which I have with me in a car. But if I get pulled over, can an officer make me test a movie, and then ticket me for it?
Advertisement
byronstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

i used to get pulled a lot for having front tint, and i always have the dvd flip up player playing but muted. all the cops i encountered didn't care less if i have it playing. and one of them even said "i love that mv"
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Here is the rule....,..I would assume the DVD screen would be considered a "television set" and therefore your setup would be illegal.

Television sets
7.18 (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), no person shall drive or cause to be driven a vehicle in which the image displayed from a television set in the vehicle is visible to that person.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the image displays information or data solely designed to assist the driver

(a) in the safe operation of the vehicle or the safety and security of its load or its passengers,

(b) to reach a destination in due timeliness,

(c) who is a peace officer, to carry out his duties as a peace officer, or

(d) to assess fees or charges payable by passengers or users of the vehicle.

(3) No person shall drive or cause to be driven a vehicle in which a television set is installed unless it is securely and safely mounted in the vehicle in a position which does not obstruct the view of the driver.

[en. B.C. Reg. 466/88.]
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

The law on having a TV in your car is fairly straight forward.

You can have a TV operating in your car as long as it's not visible to the Driver. It must be securely fastened, and not obstructing the view of the driver.

If a display is visible to a driver, it can only display "information or data solely designed to assist the driver". It must still be securely fastened, and not obstruct the driver's view. (Watching a movie or music videos does not fall within the category of information or data solely designed to assist the driver)

In response to your actual questions posted above

"Now the deck was used, and is not wired with any ebrake lock out code. What is the legality here?"
I do believe it's not actully illegal to not have the ebrake lock out wired. The ebrake lock out is put there by the manufactures to stay compliant with the Acts/Rules/Regulations of differnt jurisdictions. It ensures the manufacturer is not putting out a product which allows a driver to be distracted while driving. By having the ebrake lock out included in their product they have done their part to ensure liability does not fall on them. If you choose not to have that ebrake lock out installed you can not hold the manufacturer responsible if you get into an accident, because they will have a defence, and they did what was possible to prevent video from being displayed while driving.
Generally if you get one of those units installed by a licensed shop, they will tell you it's illegal for them not to install the ebrake lock out. Because if they do not install that, you will be able to watch while your vehicle is in motion, and now that shop has contravened the act/rule/regulations etc...

"But is even having it capable of playing illegal?"
No, it is not.

"Should there be a punitive measure attached to the possibility, but not the act?"
No, because that gets into different issues all together. Things that are legal can be used for an illegal purpose. That doesn't mean you should face punitive sanctions for the possibility.
E.G. A brick is legal, when you hit someone in the head with it, the act is illegal.

"But if I get pulled over, can an officer make me test a movie, and then ticket me for it?"
No. The officer has to catch you in the act to ticket you.

Last edited by Uncle Benz; 02-06-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thank you to all that replied. I had hoped that would be the logical situation. My DVD screen functions 9/10 of the time simply as a touchscreen for the Nav/MP3 navigation options...so this would be fine. Thanks again.
byronstyle is offline   Reply With Quote