REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Red light photo (https://www.revscene.net/forums/563699-red-light-photo.html)

ocyrus411 02-06-2009 08:50 PM

Red light photo

k i'm a little confused here

i was taking a left at a 4 way intersection which had red light cameras at every corner. i had a guy infront of me who was waiting for a yellow so he could turn left, and i thought i would follow behind him (which would take me through a red light) until i spotted the cameras so i decided to stay where i was. unfortunately where i was was about half way over the white line of the left turning lane, so when the guy infront of me went off the yellow the cameras took a picture of my license plate just because i was half way across the white line (so i figure)

my question

this is disputable, right..? i mean, i didn't run a red, i simply chose against my actions considering there were cameras. it's really unfortunate that i was halfway across the white, but come on u kno!

cococly 02-06-2009 09:48 PM

Have you been mailed for the ticket yet?

Uncle Benz 02-07-2009 07:13 AM

A red light camera takes 2 pictures. The first shows the vehicle entering the intersection after a light has turned red, and second picture shows the vehicle in the intersection.

If you say you didn't actually go through the intersection it should show your car still in the same spot in the second picture, and you should have your ground for dispute.

It is possible that you did not get a ticket, so worry about it once you actually get it.

Soundy 02-07-2009 07:19 AM

^Right - if you haven't got the ticket yet, how do you know it was taking a picture OF YOU?

Berzerker 02-07-2009 07:20 AM

Do they even issue tickets for those? I don't think they do because it's the same as the old photo radar thing and I thought they were just there for accident's.

Berz out.

underscore 02-07-2009 06:52 PM

^ I'm pretty sure they do, they transmit back to a central station, my friend has driven around and knwon which ones are fake because he didn't pick up the freq they use at a particular intersection. you could even set up a thing in your car to jam that freq but it'd be illegal as hell haha

InvisibleSoul 02-07-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6268210)
Do they even issue tickets for those? I don't think they do because it's the same as the old photo radar thing and I thought they were just there for accident's.

Berz out.

...? No, those are called red light cameras. Catching red light runners is the primary use. Using it for accidents would be secondary.

simsimi1004 02-08-2009 05:20 AM

99.9% u wont get ticket.
long long time ago
i was going towards intersection with camera,
it was yellow turning red
turned red
my car fully stopped when front wheels were over white line.
flash goes off
didnt receive any ticket

Berzerker 02-08-2009 08:09 AM

I'm pretty certain those are not for giving tickets. If photo radar was ruled as unconstitutional then Red Light Camera's are no different. There is also no budget to put ACTUAL camera's in all the locations you see. They rotate them to different intersections.

I know this because I was hit by someone making an illegal left turn a couple years ago. There were camera's and they all went flash. When I asked ICBC to take a look at the camera's they told me there were none at that location at that time. That's when they told me that not to many intersections actually have the camera's in them.

Berz out.

Soundy 02-08-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6269757)
I'm pretty certain those are not for giving tickets.

Yes, they are.

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_fi...t_redlight.asp

Quote:

If photo radar was ruled as unconstitutional
It wasn't. Several people have challenged it on those grounds, but AFAIK have never succeeded. If they had, NO province would have it anymore, yet many still do.

Quote:

I know this because I was hit by someone making an illegal left turn a couple years ago. There were camera's and they all went flash. When I asked ICBC to take a look at the camera's they told me there were none at that location at that time. That's when they told me that not to many intersections actually have the camera's in them.
That's because you didn't ask to see the pictures from the CAMERAS. Different thing entirely than CAMERA'S.

English > Berz.

Berz out.[/QUOTE]

Beefball 02-08-2009 10:48 AM

First of all, you are not suppose to enter the intersection (stop on the crosswalk waiting to make a left turn) before the car in front of you had made his turn

greendb7 02-08-2009 12:24 PM

I made a right turn right as my light was turning red and I got pic'd, I'm sure it isn't a ticket for turning at a red light

Soundy 02-08-2009 02:31 PM

^You still have to stop, the same as if you were going straight through... only difference is, AFTER you stop (meaning: COMPLETE stop, not "rolling stop"), you can then proceed with the right turn, IF it's safe to do so.

sho_bc 02-08-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendb7 (Post 6270023)
I made a right turn right as my light was turning red and I got pic'd, I'm sure it isn't a ticket for turning at a red light

There is if you turn in the manner you described. ;)

4drviper 02-08-2009 06:01 PM

I just can't wait to see all the angry people that get tickets from 240th and lougheed. I was at that intersection the other day and the red light camera triggered for everyone turning left onto lougheed westbound while they had a GREEN light lol

I am sure i got hit too but obviously there was something wrong with the camera. I seen at least 6 people get their picture taken during the 30 seconds i was there.

Soundy 02-08-2009 06:21 PM

^Chances are they won't even see the ticket, since the whole idea is for the photo to clearly display the car in the intersection *with the light red*. If it's green, I'd expect they won't even send out the ticket - it would be a sure-fire waste of a dispute.

4drviper 02-08-2009 06:36 PM

Plus at that intersection the red light camera only affects est and west bound traffic on lougheed. I just found it kind of funny seeing it happen. I am sure when they see 20+++ photos or cars turning then they will figure it out.

hotjoint 02-12-2009 09:25 AM

I thought they stopped that red light camera program a long time ago. I know they still take the pics but I wasnt too sure if they were still issuing tickets

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-12-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotjoint (Post 6277001)
I thought they stopped that red light camera program a long time ago. I know they still take the pics but I wasnt too sure if they were still issuing tickets

werd, thats wat i heard

i got flashed by the cameras a couple times (not running red light of course)
there is one outside ROyal oak and kinsway safeway, i was making a right turn and the stupid camera flashed my ass, i was like WTF

Soundy 02-12-2009 02:11 PM

Well, you could always test that theory by running a few reds with camera installations, but I just watched them installing a new camera fixture at Hastings and Renfrew today... can't think of why they'd be doing that if they were just taking pictures for the sake of taking pictures...