REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   US Ticket and Canadian Laws (https://www.revscene.net/forums/563962-us-ticket-canadian-laws.html)

TRDood 02-08-2009 11:36 PM

US Ticket and Canadian Laws

Here is the situation, it is not me. and it's been settled, but just wondering. but here it goes

1. in Oct.08, Mr.A received a ticket for speeding for $113 USD in washington state
2. Mr.A did not pay the ticket, because he doesn't plan on travelling to US for a long time (e.g. 5 years down the road)
3. in Jan.09, Mr.A received a letter from the collection agency asking for $160
4. same reason as above, he ignored it
5. in Feb.09, Mr.A received another letter from Washington State saying that if he doesn't pay for the ticket within X amount of time, his BC license will be suspended and he has to surrender his license to the closest motor vehicle branch.

now, can authorities in the states do that!? anyone experience or heard stories regarding this? from what i have read, the worse is just arrest @ the border.. not taking away your license when you are in Canada

:confused:

misteranswer 02-08-2009 11:53 PM

As far as I know, no they can not.

BabyblooLexus 02-09-2009 12:08 AM

yea apparently they can, but theyre lazy about it..
this happend to a friends ex-bf, pretty much exact situation,
except he never gave up his license, and no one ever came after him
...although instead of washington sending him as letter, i think they accessed him thru BC
after a lil over 6 months, he didnt even know what was going on anymore..
no more letters and no calls.
then they broke up so i dno what happend in the end lol

CRS 02-09-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyblooLexus (Post 6271257)
yea apparently they can, but theyre lazy about it..
this happend to a friends ex-bf, pretty much exact situation,
except he never gave up his license, and no one ever came after him
...although instead of washington sending him as letter, i think they accessed him thru BC
after a lil over 6 months, he didnt even know what was going on anymore..
no more letters and no calls.
then they broke up so i dno what happend in the end lol

Hmmmm are you just referencing from word of mouth?

If you aren't, please provide a source. I don't believe that the US can take away your license as you are not within their jurisdiction. But 5 years down the road, they can arrest you and jail you until you pay the fines off.

TRDood 02-09-2009 12:48 AM

interesting.
well, it's paid. but this is what im wondering..

would he be allowed to renew his insurance if he didn't pay the ticket? it sounds new to me that US authorities have access to Canadian drivers.

should have told him not to pay and see what happens next! haha

CRS 02-09-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 6271332)
interesting.
well, it's paid. but this is what im wondering..

would he be allowed to renew his insurance if he didn't pay the ticket? it sounds new to me that US authorities have access to Canadian drivers.

should have told him not to pay and see what happens next! haha

A warrant would be issued for his arrest and the next time he crosses the border, he gets jailed.

SumAznGuy 02-09-2009 11:25 AM

When the same thing happened to me, Washington State something something sent me a letter saying because of my unpaid ticket, they were revoking the right for me to drive in the state.

It's been 10 years, and I still travel across the border and drive in the US, but I am careful not to do anything that would get me pulled over.