REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Ticketed for a poorly placed construction sign

This weekend when I had just turned left at a green light, I got waved over to the side of the road and ticketed by an officer parked on the side of the road at approximately 5:53 it was just getting dark. At the time i had no idea why i had gotten the ticket, other then the officer telling me i was not allowed to turn left at that specific intersection. He also mentioned that the sign was poorly placed. After when the officer left, i decided to park my car and take a closer look at the intersection. From what i could see is that the intersection was still under construction and a "No TURN" sign which was basically inside the intersection.

From then on i had realized that i was unable to see the "No turn" sign while i came into the intersection, while when i was in the intersection i was already focused on the "Advance Left Turn" Sign and for oncoming traffic and pedestrians that may be crossing the intersection.

At the time i was ticketed, i had came into the intersection where there were no pedestrians , and the oncoming traffic just cleared the intersection so i took the chance to turn.

Here are too Pictures to Describe my situation(Taken the day after I got the ticket):
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...n69/edited.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...69/edited2.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../edited3-1.jpg

My Question is, will i be able to dispute this violation, and if so what are my chances of succeeding? My Argument being poorly placed construction sign and Contradicting Traffic Signs.
Advertisement
rJTLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I would dispute that if I were you, you're right when you say that you're more focused on the turn light than the sign.
Maybe it would work against you if the sign was placed further from the intersection, towards you but it isnt
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

JMO - the first picture won't help your case.

The "no turn" sign is pretty clear. Mind you I can't read the sign beside the traffic light - what does it just below "advance left turn"?
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
From the first pic, the sign COULD be viewed as applying to the cross-traffic, and just being turned the wrong direction. That would certainly be my first read of it, since it's in the middle of those lanes.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it's on a pole... but at first glance of that shot, without the advantage of depth perception, it really looks like it's sitting ON the ground, in the middle of the cross-lanes. Not that that would help your case, unless you're blind in one eye.

Frankly, I think the cop's own admission that the sign is poorly placed is your best defence...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

These pictures were taken during the day, when i was ticketed it was basically dusk. The No Turn sign was non reflective, I was coming into the section basically going 30-40km/hr with the flow of traffic i was more focused on the direction i was turning. The picture was taken by my friend on the passenger side without the intent of turning.

Basically summed up, I saw that there were no "No Turn" signs several yards back, since the opportunity allowed me to turn as i entered the intersection, so i missed the sign.

Oh that reminds me, that Sign does Say "Advance Left Turn" 3:30PM-5:30PM MON-FRI, Which i had already focused onto when i was coming into the intersection. It implies that i am able to turn left, which goes into my Contradicting Traffic sign argument. One sign says NO you cant turn, while one says YES you may Turn.

Considering my choices to dispute this ticket, i was wondering if it is a good idea to contact the officer who issued the ticket and see if they will dismiss it upon the what evidence i have right now while its still fresh.

Last edited by rJTLi; 02-09-2009 at 08:25 PM.
rJTLi is offline   Reply With Quote