REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #2876
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I think there are more players, but it would appear there is little to nothing to talk aboot.

Or, we are just that boring.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #2877
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Nice how much did that set you back?

I ordered a 1in set with 1/4in HD foam sitting on top of the block, and 3/4in of Denon's softest foam to soften the block. With so much room in my knee area I don't think it'll interfere with anything, but I won't be able to be sure until I actually put them on.

I think there was only 1/2in difference between my CCM block and my old V2 knee block height. Man I guess the small difference was big enough to wreak havoc on my hips :'(

It's amazing what a little rise on the knee stack will do. With a double knee stack you really get the feeling of the higher knee. We're talking a total of about 2.5-3" of rise. It was way too much, but I was feeling like a mad scientist at the time

Total cost of my knee stacks was about $40 for the pair. That was him supplying the foam, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Are there more goalies than players here? Lol
It goes back and forth. On one page you'll have a ton of shooters talking about sticks, curves, and dangles. On the next page we'll talk about pads, blockers, and shutting down those danglers
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #2878
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Guy in a game once took a half dozen shots on goal, and missed every one. In the handshake line, I told him that next time I could move the net over 6". All he has to do is ask.

Chirping is the foundation of hockey.
Was I the only one that noticed the shattered glass by the blue line?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #2879

Let's get some player talk going here.
I've never fully understood the mid kick and low kick point aspect of these new sticks.

How do these affect shooting?

And what baller twigs are people using this winter season?

I still have my old and trusty Nexus 1000.
I still have an uncut APX2 and an uncut CCM Tacks waiting for their chance to shine.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #2880
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
From my experience:

mid-kick is best for long-winded wristers and slappers

low-kick is best for quick snap shots.

It's really personal preference. Anyone can shoot with either, but some prefer one over the other.

When I'm playing out, I'm still working through my 5 Sherwood Nexon sticks. For the price I paid (<$70), they are phenomenal.

Just can't justify >$150 on a new stick anymore.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #2881
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Was I the only one that noticed the shattered glass by the blue line?

good eye.
WTF was he aiming at? Was there a kid behind the glass making faces? Or was it a vapid fan holding up a nasty sign?

We'll probably never know.
Unless he comes in and tells us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'm still using my Synergy HTX, but with an APX2 blade with a P92 curve. It's a wild curve, and can easily send the puck wide or high. But if you're low in your stance, and focussed, it is like a sniper rifle. Being a pro-return (Dorsett) it has no flex rating, but it's very whippy. I would say equal to an 85 flex.

My backup is a last gen Total One. It's another great stick, but I went with PM9 curve on that one. It's a great stick, and I cut it shorter so I could use it tight in 3on3 and small rink games. It's a quick release, snap kind of stick. It doesn't respond well to slapshots. It's a super whippy 67 flex. Incredibly rare for a senior level stick.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #2882

Quote:
It's a super whippy 67 flex. Incredibly rare for a senior level stick.
And I thought a 70 flex intermediate's were rare. I've yet to see any 67 flex senior stick.

When I first used my RBZ, I found it was very whippy too. Wasn't what I was use to for clappers. This was going from my first gen Tone's.
After a while, I was able to adjust my shot and find the proper grip point on the shaft for my clappers.

I wonder if that is the same issue you have with your 67 flex.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #2883
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
And I thought a 70 flex intermediate's were rare. I've yet to see any 67 flex senior stick.

When I first used my RBZ, I found it was very whippy too. Wasn't what I was use to for clappers. This was going from my first gen Tone's.
After a while, I was able to adjust my shot and find the proper grip point on the shaft for my clappers.

I wonder if that is the same issue you have with your 67 flex.
Warrior still makes 70 flex INT but they are longer than the average stick length. I've never heard of a 67 flex senior either. It's not in Bauer's catalog or an option on MyBauer.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:01 AM   #2884
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
^Dang that sucks. Feel better soon!

On a gear-related note:

I cracked and ordered another pair of (custom) kneestax from Denon again for my CCM EFlexes. At first I thought my hip pain was temporary due to not playing in a while, but with a week between games and only playing once a week the pain hasn't really gone away. I think my hips, knees, and ankles will thank me once I strap them on.

If any of you are interested here's the site: https://sites.google.com/site/kneestax/

It looks hokey, but it's all legit. Pretty pricey at almost 50 for a shipped custom set, but I need the extra height and can't afford dem Maltese risers from Passau lol
I got the Maltese ones because the knee stacks on my G2's are huge already but I'm looking for more cushion for my knees since the double knee injury 6 months ago.

I also use the swiss style Koho Pro knee pads. THey're actually EXTREMELY beefy and comfortable, and put a good 1/2 inch on my stack rise.

The knee stax are a great option if your pads don't come with beefy ones already.

Quote:
^ Why you gotta be so tall lol

Off topic- I got quoted for some work at THS so don't say go there, but...........

I'm looking to sew my set of GForm knee pads (the padding is separating from the neoprene sleve) into the knees of my Bauer Supreme knee pads. I was going to head out to some shoe repair places locally to see if they could do it.

So before I inevitably head to Cecil, any of you guys get similar work done? If so, where and how much did it set you back?

TIA
Go to Cecil. He can do them right. I'd also ask him to RIP OUT the old yellow fabric in the Supremes (I used to have them), line and glue the G Form blocks in, fill in between spaces with mask padding foam, and stitch it all up with jenpro. That way it will hug the knee and provide a lot of cushioning.

He has modded EVERY piece of gear I've had other than my jock, mask and skates.

Also. I'm 6'1. I wear 35+2's. LOL

Quote:
Me, tall? Really?
Why thank you. I've never felt big in my 5'11" frame. Maybe the guys I'm playing with are too big?

For your modifications, I've had Cecil do similar work, and it was around $20.
Sewing the G-form into separate knee pads is a good idea. It's also a good idea to grab Cecil a starbucks or something. He's done mods for me for free, because I brought him a Cappucino. He's such a good dude.

On a side note, I'm thinking that I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a new set of Passau knees. I have the gen 1 and they're great. But after a couple of years, they're packing it in.

I'm thinking of the second gen Passau. They have the same overall design, but a few revisions that they learned from the gen 1.

But $120 for knee pads is steep..... that cuts into my sexy composite Bauer stick budget.
Good thing I'm still injured. I have time to modify my gear, and get my damn new glove set up.

Hypa, I'd also look into refurbing your Passau knee pads. The knee landing can be lined with the same foam I have in my Koho's, with holes punched in strategic areas and run lace through it. It'll work great and be cheaper than getting new ones?
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #2885

U-5Kb66gZ7KkX0mx9ywLl89K5uPSThGILI3kihVQfuY.jpg

You wanna see big? You should check my shit out. XL Pants, Large CCM premier Pro.

A guy from a week ago asked me if my chesty is from Garth Snow. LOL
Old 10-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #2886

You don't look thattttttttttt huge. Especially since you're 6'1.

I played with a new team last week- first thing half the team said when I stood up was "whoa, goalie's huge" lol. Mostly because I have huge pads by comparison which makes me look pretty round.

It sucks getting domed when someone decides to try and go shelf

This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #2887

A bit of a long shot, but an any of you goalies come out for a drop in at 8 Rinks tomorrow night at 1045pm. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks!

edit: goalie found- thanks for looking!

Last edited by m3thods; 10-03-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #2888
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
M3thods, u play for the Banzai Bullets now?
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #2889

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
M3thods, u play for the Banzai Bullets now?
Why yes! I've been playing with them for the past 4-5 years actually, but just started playing in net full time for them.

You know those guys? Are you on the team and we've been talking to each other in secret for these past 5 years?
Old 10-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #2890

Vince? It's me Jimmy, we've been playing together for years lol
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #2891

Quote:
You don't look thattttttttttt huge. Especially since you're 6'1.

I played with a new team last week- first thing half the team said when I stood up was "whoa, goalie's huge" lol. Mostly because I have huge pads by comparison which makes me look pretty round.

It sucks getting domed when someone decides to try and go shelf

I know that feels bro.

Except I get shot in the throat area more. =(
Old 10-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #2892

Quote:
Vince? It's me Jimmy, we've been playing together for years lol
bahahahha what's up? no lingering effects from that last spring game?
Old 10-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #2893

All good, knee is almost 100%. Hopefully I'll return to the team in the summer
Old 10-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #2894

Quote:
All good, knee is almost 100%. Hopefully I'll return to the team in the summer
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 10-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #2895

Just got my custom kneestax from Denon. Fits over my CCM knee stack perfectly. I'll see how it holds up in a game tomorrow, but it's a huge difference in terms of knee softness. My hips and knees are already thankful. Also with the foam combo I chose, it maintains about 3/4in of height when I'm in my butterfly so hopefully no more painful hips when in butterfly. I definitely feel taller.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #2896
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
2 weeks from now Sportchek is having their anniversary sale.
Couple key hockey deals I noticed
Bauer x100 and one.9 stick for $99.99
CCM rbz skate $279.99....not bad for a skate that was once $700...as long as it fits you.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #2897
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
2 weeks from now Sportchek is having their anniversary sale.
Couple key hockey deals I noticed
Bauer x100 and one.9 stick for $99.99
CCM rbz skate $279.99....not bad for a skate that was once $700...as long as it fits you.
The one.9 is already 99.99 a couple days ago. No 77 flex anywhere though and only a few 87 at richmond.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #2898
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
The one.9 is already 99.99 a couple days ago. No 77 flex anywhere though and only a few 87 at richmond.
you can still get online
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #2899
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
lol good to know, ive been out of the stores for 3 weeks...a bit out of the loop
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #2900
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Let's get some player talk going here.
I've never fully understood the mid kick and low kick point aspect of these new sticks.

How do these affect shooting?

I still have my old and trusty Nexus 1000.
I still have an uncut APX2 and an uncut CCM Tacks waiting for their chance to shine.
I've used all types of "top of the line" sticks and I keep coming back to the Sherwoods. I've bought 3 EK15s now - the low kick is awesome.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: