REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:10 AM   #3001
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
tempted to try out a 65 flex stick
Advertisement
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #3002
x_x

Got my hands on a Bauer 1X 87 flex. Heard the durability is shit but i guess we'll see! I've made similar sticks last (Warrior Widow/Easton V9E)
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #3003
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
tempted to try out a 65 flex stick
I've stepped down to a Bauer 67. I used 77 flex seniors for a long time but after changing to shorter sticks, the flex became too stiff. I used a 75 intermediate for a while but they are only available in the top end Supreme and nobody stocks them.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:59 AM   #3004
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
I've stepped down to a Bauer 67. I used 77 flex seniors for a long time but after changing to shorter sticks, the flex became too stiff. I used a 75 intermediate for a while but they are only available in the top end Supreme and nobody stocks them.
Yea its hard to find a nice mid flex stick.. Why is there an abundance of 85 flex seniors.. The intermediate stick blades are smaller correct?

I mean most pros now use ~75 flex stick, why would an average joe need 85.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #3005
x_x

Quote:
Yea its hard to find a nice mid flex stick.. Why is there an abundance of 85 flex seniors.. The intermediate stick blades are smaller correct?

I wouldn't say most pros are using ~75. There are definitely some, most notably Ovie/Kessel (both whom have amazing shots). Not everyone is going to have the exact same technique of shot. Those flexes work for those guys based on their technique and play style. Also keep in mind their sticks are tailored to them, not just something you can buy off a rack.
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #3006

Quote:

The blades are the same size but the shaft diameter is smaller. I'd say most pros are still using sticks between 85-100 flex. That's no problem for the average NHLer, who is 6' 1" 210lbs and in great shape, but it may be to stiff for the everyday recreational player.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #3007
retired

Got my mask painted by Ian @ Excalibur Airbrushing. Absolutely amazing work. Tammy and Ian kept me up to date as the process went on.

Probably wont use it during warm ups... That's usually the time when idiots ring em off your noggin haha
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #3008
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quick questions for goalies out there regarding skates- Do you buy the best skate you can afford, or buy ones that would get the job done?

Reason why im asking is because goalies dont necessarily skate around too much, so do you buy something thats comfortable or get ones with all the bells and whistles?
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #3009
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
That looks great Truenosan.
It's a good call to use something else during warm-ups though. And that is sad.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #3010
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
Quick questions for goalies out there regarding skates- Do you buy the best skate you can afford, or buy ones that would get the job done?

Reason why im asking is because goalies dont necessarily skate around too much, so do you buy something thats comfortable or get ones with all the bells and whistles?
What skill level are you at?
I'd start off with something that you are comfortable in. You can't play if your foot is in constant pain. But too loose of a skate will hinder your play too.

Generally, I say buy the best that you can afford. Or take a look at last year's higher end gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #3011
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
If you're not a brand slut, I really REALLY can't recommend Sherwood sticks enough.

Especially at SC you can likely find some N12s or T90s/100/120s on clearance/sale often for $100 or less.

I currently rock N10s/N12s and T90s, which are all low-kick sticks. The newer "T" series (T100/120) I believe are all mid-kick sticks. Honestly, they are all on par with any Bauer/Easton halo stick I've used/borrowed (and there have been a number of them) but for an excellent price. The sticks I bought were all sub 80 (for top-tier sticks!!!!). The stick feel and balance is excellent and sometimes superior to the big boys. It's to the point where the SW Rekkors are too light, but damn are they nice sticks.
Thanks, maybe I'll give them a try. I was actually using a $50 Warrior stick for roller last season and was surprised by it not being so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

Imho, get the highest end stick you can. If you can find a pro return, or last year's hot twig, go for it. I tried the One50, RBK 24k, and the like. They're heavy and they don't come close to the feel that the high end sticks have.

I lent a buddy my Easton HTX for a skate last week. He was using an old Easton that weighed a ton. After the skate he texted me from the hockey shop. He was sold on the high end stick in one skate
I definitely notice a big difference between the higher end sticks vs. the cheaper ones. I usually get lucky with stick buying and find last years models for a decent deal.

Went to sport check and they had literally NO right handed stock, maybe 2 or 3 sticks that were RH 85-87 flex....

I lucked out though and found an unused stealth CX in my preferred spec on craigslist for a good deal.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #3012
retired

Thanks Hypa.

For the skate question, get what fits your foot the best. It doesn't have to be the top of the line skate. First comfort, then budget. You wont enjoy playing if your skates are killing your feet.

I tried on multiple skates, and in the end, picked up the Bauer Elites. Nothing fancy, but heck, I am super comfortable in them.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #3013
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanks for the feedbacks regarding skates everyone.

I've been playing in goal for quite a number of years now. I'm currently using the Bauer reactor 4000. Low end skates. But feel super comfy to me. Love the way the boot feels compared to my old RBK pumps.
Been thinking if I should go for more of an elite skate. I play 1-2/week.

The main thing for me wanting new skates is for the Vertexx cowling. I've never tried them on the ice before. But bauer does claim 20% more grip or push off in the butterfly. Not sure if it's a sales gimmick. But seems like something I'd want if it's beneficial.

Opinions?
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #3014
UFO

I'm still skating on Bauer vapor something or others from cheapskates I got for $30. They do the job well, I've had no reason to think about upgrading. But then again I started playing goal with old player's skates before I 'invested' in proper skates. Ground game and push offs were SO much better and easier with player skates though, so there is something to the angle of attack.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #3015
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
It's not really a gimmick, but at the same time 20% seems a tad high.
This is the basis of their idea.
https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-ne...-edge/c-787521

The other option is to run a taller skate blade.

Again, it all depends on how strong your ground game is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #3016
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I've moved down from 77 to an intermediate. Like Mickz cutting down 77s began to be too stiff for me. I do keep a longer 77 flex if I play defence as I can get a nice slapper going on it. But when I'm playing up and take 0 slap shots, the ease of which I can load a shot on the intermediate keeps me coming back.

As for goalie skates, as everyone says get the one that is comfortable first. I made the mistake of going budget, but ended up selling them at a loss. Even now they don't fit perfect, but they fit well enough to play.

Having played in the Reebok and Bauer cowlings, I can vouch for the Bauer cowlings. The attack angle comparison is a real thing- you don't need to lift your leg up as high to get a deep push on the Bauers. I'm not one for a wide stance so ymmv there, but the easier pushes and recoveries are a huge plus.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #3017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks regarding skates everyone.

I've been playing in goal for quite a number of years now. I'm currently using the Bauer reactor 4000. Low end skates. But feel super comfy to me. Love the way the boot feels compared to my old RBK pumps.
Been thinking if I should go for more of an elite skate. I play 1-2/week.

The main thing for me wanting new skates is for the Vertexx cowling. I've never tried them on the ice before. But bauer does claim 20% more grip or push off in the butterfly. Not sure if it's a sales gimmick. But seems like something I'd want if it's beneficial.

Opinions?
Most people I've talked to like the Vertexx cowling because they are more mobile with it. I don't play goal anymore but I had a pair of ONE95 with the old style cowling and they felt really clunky around my feet.

With the 1S goal skate (with the new Vertexx "cowling") coming out soon, prices have already started to drop on the current model Supremes. I'm not sold on the Vertexx cowling. The boot doesn't look like it's beefed up to counter the lack of protection on the exterior of the boot. They've also placed the trigger for the blade where most goalies would thread their toe ties. I understand they are trying to sell the idea of the Lundqvist loop but this style may not be for everyone.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #3018
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
I am currently in Bauer one80 hand me downs, they fit good and comfort is at an acceptable level. I am looking forward to the new supreme line up without the cowling, and I am sure Bauer will find out quite quickly how they hold up injury wise once the masses jump on them.

Side note on the toe ties, still breaking in the new gear but switched from toe ties to the Brians smart toe strap and holy shit what a difference. No more discomfort in my knees and I find they stay a lot taller/tighter to my leg where with toe ties I found the pad was drooping past my skate far enough to bother me. I'v read the velcro loses hold pretty fast but a bit of sewing and industrial velcro will fix that no problem. Worth the $23.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #3019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
I am currently in Bauer one80 hand me downs, they fit good and comfort is at an acceptable level. I am looking forward to the new supreme line up without the cowling, and I am sure Bauer will find out quite quickly how they hold up injury wise once the masses jump on them.

Side note on the toe ties, still breaking in the new gear but switched from toe ties to the Brians smart toe strap and holy shit what a difference. No more discomfort in my knees and I find they stay a lot taller/tighter to my leg where with toe ties I found the pad was drooping past my skate far enough to bother me. I'v read the velcro loses hold pretty fast but a bit of sewing and industrial velcro will fix that no problem. Worth the $23.
I'm in the same skates but my foot is a bit big for the boot. The new Supremes weren't any deeper so I figured to wait for the new boots to see if they were any better before buying new skates.

I really didn't like how the Reeboks felt, and the CCMs were a bit too stiff (I like a softer boot). I'd love to try Graf but nowhere to try them on :'(

I've been tempted to try the Brians strap but I've been really happy with my Toehooks. I think I may try going toe-strap-less for a bit (did with my old Vaughns) to see if the lack of centering gets to me.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #3020
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Haven't whored in a while

And started playing goalie for the first time ever cause my teams always had issues finding goalies. Started with borrowing gear and now currently own my own Bauer NME8 mask and CCM premier pro C/A. Slowly going to build a full goalie set. I think I'm addicted LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160523_161651.jpg (233.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160510_223004.jpg (178.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160510_222815.jpg (100.5 KB, 0 views)
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #3021

^Good lord true definition of whoring. So jelly
Old 05-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #3022
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
CCM premier pro C/A. Slowly going to build a full goalie set. I think I'm addicted LOL
hahaha, I just bought the same chest yesterday.
My 1S chest protector started falling apart after three weeks of use. So I brought it back and swapped for a CCM Premier.

I'm going to try it in about an hour. Wish me luck.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #3023

^Dang the 1S seems so promising too. Was it a one-off? Or have you heard of most units falling apart after heavy use?

I'm years away from replacing my C/A, but I'm likely not going to be buying anything brand new, meaning that top end units now are probably what I'm looking to snag used/on closeout in the future.

The premier pro seems a bit big for my liking. I wonder how the eflex shield ones compare.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #3024
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I was using a friends rbk Premier p2 or whatever but was getting frustrated with the long arms that weren't adjustable and kept sliding down my arm into blocker trapper. So I splurged on my own CA with adjustable arms. Lol. Good thing I pay nowhere near retail or else I'd cry.

They do feel a bit bulky but much more mobile than what I had used. Seems a bit short in the stomach area though. Something to consider if your torso is longer than normal
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #3025
easy e

Skates question... For those with Lightspeed Edgeholders, anyone with experience buy additional or new runners?

I have a pair of MX3, almost two years old. Was thinking of looking into new steel. Fusion Edge I saw were extremely pricey. $129?

Please share if you have experience or advice. Thanks!