REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #326
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV View Post
Hello, i am looking to buy a set of Goalie equipment, not for ice though, i will be playing street or floor hockey any recommendations as to which ones are a bit more durable? Ive had the RBK 30' for quite some time now and its starting to shread up, straps are also breaking.

Also what sizing should i be getting? I am 6'1 almost so im looking maybe 34'-36'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
^ def at least 36
regarding sizing, just make sure your knees land properly in the knee cradle when you drop into your butterfly. a 34" to 36" pad sounds about right for your height, but everyone's legs are different lengths and keep in mind that pad sizing may vary across different manufacturers and models. i'm 6'1-6'2 tall and currently using a 35" bauer pad. i had a set of 36" reebok's briefly that also worked fine. some pads also feature adjustable landing areas for the knee, so a 35" pad can be adjusted to fit like a 34" etc.

as for durability, playing outside on asphalt/road will tear anything up over time... unless you decide to play stand-up, haha. to my knowledge, using old ice hockey pads may last longer than the Canadian Tire street hockey pads. if you're playing outside, duct-tape is your friend haha.

just keep browsing craigslist for some second-hand pads. i've seen decent second hand sets of pads go for as low as $50-75 (and ridiculously high and overpriced like $500 for some old school pads). expensive high-end pads will generally last longer on the ice. but if you're playing outdoor, get whatever is cheap, because basically everything will get torn up by the rough surface.
Advertisement
BLUETIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #327
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

It has varied from year to year, but if its the same as last year, stuff will be expensive. They rated prices according to player popularity so Sedin/Kesler etc was $300 for a stick, while Hordichuk, Hansen sticks were cheaper.

Gone are the days of $75 used pro stocks/$125 new sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Oh yea, prostocknation is having their Canucks equipment 2011 sale (July 11 – July 17) at the Canucks Team Store Outlet located on Hastings and Renfrew (#150 – 2893 E Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC)

For the people who have gone, what do they usually have and how expensive is it?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #328
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUETIGER View Post
regarding sizing, just make sure your knees land properly in the knee cradle when you drop into your butterfly. a 34" to 36" pad sounds about right for your height, but everyone's legs are different lengths and keep in mind that pad sizing may vary across different manufacturers and models. i'm 6'1-6'2 tall and currently using a 35" bauer pad. i had a set of 36" reebok's briefly that also worked fine. some pads also feature adjustable landing areas for the knee, so a 35" pad can be adjusted to fit like a 34" etc.

as for durability, playing outside on asphalt/road will tear anything up over time... unless you decide to play stand-up, haha. to my knowledge, using old ice hockey pads may last longer than the Canadian Tire street hockey pads. if you're playing outside, duct-tape is your friend haha.

just keep browsing craigslist for some second-hand pads. i've seen decent second hand sets of pads go for as low as $50-75 (and ridiculously high and overpriced like $500 for some old school pads). expensive high-end pads will generally last longer on the ice. but if you're playing outdoor, get whatever is cheap, because basically everything will get torn up by the rough surface.
Thats some good info, thanks. If you happen to see any 32"+ pads go for cheap would ya mind PMing me?

Ive used the RBK's for bout a year now, couple rips and tears at bottom, but generally has held up pretty well, i just want bigger ones now.

I damn wish Marpole would go repave their outdoor rink..........
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #329
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Oh yea, prostocknation is having their Canucks equipment 2011 sale (July 11 – July 17) at the Canucks Team Store Outlet located on Hastings and Renfrew (#150 – 2893 E Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC)

For the people who have gone, what do they usually have and how expensive is it?
i'm wary about buying used gear, but for he most part, unless it's tambelini of ballard sized, it's not gonna fit me .

plus their sticks are all pretty damn stiff, and most are left as you can see why
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #330
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUETIGER View Post

Did you take the "lifts" into account? A lot pads are rating at the pad size then there's a +1 , 2 etc.. on top of that
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #331
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP670-4 SV View Post
Thats some good info, thanks. If you happen to see any 32"+ pads go for cheap would ya mind PMing me?

Ive used the RBK's for bout a year now, couple rips and tears at bottom, but generally has held up pretty well, i just want bigger ones now.

I damn wish Marpole would go repave their outdoor rink..........
not gonna happen... they need new mesh on the nets before anything lol... and it isn't different than QE's out door asphalt... you need pads that are nylon and not vinyl. I have old itech profile road hockey pads since 2000 and they are still good.. Mind you I haven't used them in 10 years, but it has gotten a lot of use in those days.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #332

Quote:
Did you take the "lifts" into account? A lot pads are rating at the pad size then there's a +1 , 2 etc.. on top of that
no, i did not go into detail regarding the thigh-rise as i wanted to keep my explanation simple.

a 34" pad with a +2" thigh rise and a 35"+1" are both basically 36" pads but one will fit better than the other, no? so i think he should still just be more concerned about where his knee sits before looking at thigh rise.

but taking the thigh-rise of the pad into consideration, modern pads usually have a notation +1, or +2, etc in addition to their fitment size (34" or whatever). the +1 or +2 is called the "thigh rise" which means there is a 1" or 2" extension at the top of the pad to make it longer, while it doesn't necessarily affect where your knee sits. the purpose of the thigh rise is to help seal up the 5-hole better in the butterfly, particularly for guys with wide butterflies.

hope my description is not too confusing. i will try to clarify as necessary
BLUETIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #333
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
not gonna happen... they need new mesh on the nets before anything lol... and it isn't different than QE's out door asphalt... you need pads that are nylon and not vinyl. I have old itech profile road hockey pads since 2000 and they are still good.. Mind you I haven't used them in 10 years, but it has gotten a lot of use in those days.
I zip-tied the mesh back lol but the pavement is terrible.....

Reason why the mesh is always broken is that there's always a bunch of guys playing soccer in the hockey courts......
Posted via RS Mobile
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #334
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matter View Post
It has varied from year to year, but if its the same as last year, stuff will be expensive. They rated prices according to player popularity so Sedin/Kesler etc was $300 for a stick, while Hordichuk, Hansen sticks were cheaper.

Gone are the days of $75 used pro stocks/$125 new sticks
Is this different than the Canucks' own sale out of Rogers Arena? I don't know how they do the sale anymore.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #335
G
Banned (BBM)

"There’s no new information other than some vague price points. Expect the sticks starting at $100 to be at least 4 years old, $100 gloves with no palms left, and the $75 skates to be prehistoric. There usually isn’t anything good until you spend a little more."
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #336
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm really surprised the Canucks would start this sale on a Monday morning. I'm expecting the place to be flooded with high school kids and more tire kickers than people who are interested in dropping big cash especially on game used goalie equipment.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #337

where can i go to find inline skates? everywhere seems to be sold out for hockey sktates in size 7 and under.

sportcheck in lower mainland is out. ive checked cyclone taylors and ice level.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #338
Better safe than Surrey

^ Size 7 in inline hockey skate, try a junior skate, another sports check location?

On a side note, today I picked up some Mission Informers for $146
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #339

i think i tried the biggest jr skate and it fucking hurt
i didnt even try skating in them.

i should be a 6.5-7 SR
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #340
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

picked up my first pair of skates EVER.

I chose CCM U+ 08 for $299.99 since the bauers fit really narrow. So far they're comfy, I'll try them out on ice on Saturday.

Should I get waxed laces or not? What do I need to do to keep them in good condition? I've never really played ice hockey.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #341
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I personally like the waxed laces, I find that you get a better tie on them and that the lace holds when tightening. But it's all personal opinion.

You should undo the top two eyelets when removing your skate, pull out footbeds, and wipe down the blades. This way your skates should last for quite some time.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #342
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I have been using Pro-Lace waxed laces for the past couple of years. They have molded tips and last longer than your traditional laces with just plastic wrapped around the tips. Broken tips were my #1 reason for replacing laces before I made the switch.

They're about $5 a pair but they're worth it. Sometimes you can find them on sale... I stocked up at The Hockey Shop (I bought every single pair of 96" they had left) last year because they were making room for these Elite knockoffs called Pro Edge Plus. I've never tried them so I don't know if they're any good but they're around the same price...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #343
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^ hands down the best waxed lace out there. I've tried the ones from Cyclone, Sport Mart, etc. And ProLace is the one I always buy now.

Now that you mentioned that THS has changed them, I'm very weary because I have to replace mine soon
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #344
RS Veteran

^ canadian tire has them you know. i don't like them because they don't have the traditioanl yellow. why do you like them? I also don't like them because they don't feel firm enough. I like the ones from cyclone where the tips are molded/chiseled. personally I like the stiffly waxed laces. They seem to grip better when tightening.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #345
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
If someone is looking at S19's, this is the best deal I've found. Most Canadian dealers want $300+.

Easton Stealth S19 Senior Ice Hockey Stick *NEW* - eBay (item 280696111447 end time Jul-14-11 20:59:59 PDT)

I'm going to order a few when strike is over.
Down to $188 each! edit: limited quantities.

Bought new skates for the year and for the sub-800 price I couldn't say no.

belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #346
My homepage has been set to RS

^going to skate like the wind

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #347
RS Veteran

I have never tried the totalone, but the tongue just seems too thin.. even with the interchangeable tongue inserts
Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #348

I opted to get the one100's when I was getting new skates. (Great skates, highly recommend if they fit your feet).
Tried on the Totalones and just didn't like the tounge. The one100 skates have a very nice felt tounge (Graf like).
Posted via RS Mobile
Wilso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #349
RS Veteran

^yup, i got te one100s when they came out as well... I would have been happy with the one95 but they were d/c and sizes were limited.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #350

I was in the same boat as you.
I would have loved to pick up a pair of one95's on closeout and save myself a few hundred dollars. Unfortunately, sizes were limited and I couldn't find my size from any retailer.
Posted via RS Mobile
Wilso09 is offline   Reply With Quote