REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #1126
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprasian View Post
hey blueg2, i was just wondering how much did you pay for the analysis? i was thinking of getting one for a friend but it didnt state the price on their website.
tia
never got one done. just through years of trial and error.. I have felt the msot comfortable with a 75 flex, and a lie 5 - 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
how often you guys sharpen your skates?
depends how often you play, the type of ice you play on, and what freak accidents ruin the edges
Advertisement
Spidey is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #1127
I STILL don't get it
 
jdc430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 468
Thanked 166 Times in 23 Posts
Not very often... whenever I lose a noticeable edge. Might go one game or last 10. Probably every 7 ice sessions on average.
jdc430 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #1128
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 239 Times in 120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprasian View Post
hey blueg2, i was just wondering how much did you pay for the analysis? i was thinking of getting one for a friend but it didnt state the price on their website.
tia
It was going for $150 at the beginning of this year. Not sure if they raised the price since I heard they raised the price of their sticks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
how often you guys sharpen your skates?
Figure about 5-8 hrs of play per sharpening, but you can do the nail test to check for sharpness. Scrape the face of your nail against the edge of the blade and when it doesn't shave your nail, that's when it should be sharpened. Buy those cleaning stones to keep the edge profile straight and free of nicks and burrs in between sharpenings but stay away from those stupid tools that claim to sharpen your skates. Those things cause more harm than good.
6thGear. is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #1129
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
It was going for $150 at the beginning of this year. Not sure if they raised the price since I heard they raised the price of their sticks..
When they first opened up it was free or it was a 50 dollar credit used towards a stick. That went away quickly when they realized how popular they were becoming. I think it may still be about 150. The sticks went from 149 to 154 in about 2 or 3 years that they have been around which isn't that bad. They claim the price increase was due to canada post
Spidey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #1130
hello
 
originalhypa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: online
Posts: 18,347
Thanked 2,339 Times in 790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
how often you guys sharpen your skates?
I sharpen mine every 3-4 skates.
It works out to about 6 hrs of use on good ice, or 4 hrs of use on the POS 3on3 rinks.

Dull skates suck ballz when you're trying to get the best performance. Plus regular sharpening means they only need a shave every time.
__________________
woot!
originalhypa is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #1131
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 239 Times in 120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I sharpen mine every 3-4 skates.
It works out to about 6 hrs of use on good ice, or 4 hrs of use on the POS 3on3 rinks.

Dull skates suck ballz when you're trying to get the best performance. Plus regular sharpening means they only need a shave every time.

Do you play at Excellent Ice on 152nd and hwy 10 as well? When do you play there? I'm usually there monday nights 9:15. And I agree, the ice there is so bad...might as well play on a frozen pond.
6thGear. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #1132
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,424
Thanked 294 Times in 136 Posts
I sharpen my skates every 8-12 games
VR6GTI is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #1133
hello
 
originalhypa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: online
Posts: 18,347
Thanked 2,339 Times in 790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Do you play at Excellent Ice on 152nd and hwy 10 as well? When do you play there? I'm usually there monday nights 9:15. And I agree, the ice there is so bad...might as well play on a frozen pond.
I've heard about that ice. It tore the hell out of my buddies ankle one day while he was out skating with his son. Gnarly!

I mostly play at Sportsplex and Twin Rinks in Langley. A few times a month I'll head out to the half ice at NTR for some 3on3 target practice. It seems like the smaller rinks have really bad ice, because I get 2-3 hours at NTR ice before I start to notice my skates are dull. That's with R30 stainless blades too.



Got my new replacement blades yesterday.


I just got the standard blades which added about 5mm to my overall height. That's pretty substantial with angles for b-fly pushes and slides. The Extreme add about 8-10mm which is like skating on stilts, but damn does the ground game ever get better.

Can't wait to try them out.
__________________
woot!
originalhypa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #1134
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 591
Thanked 169 Times in 60 Posts
wheres the cheapest place i can grab an apx stick at?
jack3d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #1135
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: westside
Posts: 2,287
Thanked 1,534 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
wheres the cheapest place i can grab an apx stick at?
http://www.revscene.net/forums/676287-sportchek-private-shopping-event.html#post8075561
After 25% off their retail price
Should be pretty cheap
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #1136
I STILL don't get it
 
jdc430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 468
Thanked 166 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
wheres the cheapest place i can grab an apx stick at?
What exactly are you looking for? I can sell you a used P88, flex is around 85. $100
jdc430 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #1137
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 591
Thanked 169 Times in 60 Posts
what can i do to improve my backwards skating? Its still not to the point where it feels like second nature and i look wobbly when i skate. any tips? or is it just simple....keep practicing.

also, when i carry the puck at high speed, my balance gets wobbly and i cant shoot the puck how i want, any drills/tips/exercises to help?
jack3d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #1138
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
m3thods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,945
Thanked 949 Times in 535 Posts
My advice would be just to keep playing. You'll eventually get comfortable both skating and stick-handling. If you want to improve quicker I suggest power skating lessons. A few of those and a ton of playing will improve your skating in no time.

As for stick-handling, buy an off-ice aid like a flypuck or one of those hard balls to practice your handling when you're bored. You'll eventually learn to put them together as you continue to play.
Posted via RS Mobile
m3thods is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #1139
Mod.
 
!Nhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: east vanner
Posts: 7,130
Thanked 1,767 Times in 682 Posts
Take power skating at Britannia
__________________
NiteShadow
flickR
93 Civic Si (RIP)
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #1140
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 591
Thanked 169 Times in 60 Posts
ok i'll look into it. btw, how long of a stick do you guys use? With skates on
jack3d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #1141
Mod.
 
!Nhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: east vanner
Posts: 7,130
Thanked 1,767 Times in 682 Posts
i'm like 5'6-5'7 without skates and my stick length is equal to the old warrior int sizes
__________________
NiteShadow
flickR
93 Civic Si (RIP)
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1142
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
ok i'll look into it. btw, how long of a stick do you guys use? With skates on
its personal preference.. if you are D you will tend to use a longer stick.. but it is all relative. What is "long" to you may not be for another person the same height as you. 1 of 2 things will happen. You will either get used to the length of a stick, or hate it and make it longer/short accordingly.

As for skating backwards, it's all about practice and muscle memory. you feel wobby because you are not confident/your muscles aren't trained to stabilized you in that specific stance. I agree with the others regarding lessons though. This way at least your form will be proper.
Spidey is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #1143
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 239 Times in 120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
what can i do to improve my backwards skating? Its still not to the point where it feels like second nature and i look wobbly when i skate. any tips? or is it just simple....keep practicing.

also, when i carry the puck at high speed, my balance gets wobbly and i cant shoot the puck how i want, any drills/tips/exercises to help?
Keep practicing and like Nhan suggested, take some power skating lessons..then go to stick and puck and practice what you learned. If your getting wobbly, you're either using a size too big in skates or your sharpening is not correct for you(IE too sharp for your skill level). Playing more scrimmages/league games isn't going to improve you, cause you never get the chance to try something and not worry about screwing up. Only practicing will improve your skill set

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
ok i'll look into it. btw, how long of a stick do you guys use? With skates on
With skates on the stick should come up between your mouth and nose. You can adjust accordingly from there, but that is the norm for stick length
6thGear. is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #1144
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
m3thods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,945
Thanked 949 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Playing more scrimmages/league games isn't going to improve you, cause you never get the chance to try something and not worry about screwing up. Only practicing will improve your skill set
There's only so much you can do in a practice when it comes to improving. There's a reason players prefer playing to practicing on your own.

Once you're comfortable with skating and have some semblance of stick-handling, the only way to get used to playing the game is to actually play the game. You're bound to make mistakes when you're learning a game as difficult as ice hockey, but you learn from them.

Things that you can seriously improve off-ice is your conditioning/strength, and your shot. If you have a big yard, a net, and a bucket of pucks, that's what I would be doing when not playing. Against pretty much all beer-league goalies, if you have a good shot, you'll score a ton even if you can't skate and just hang out in the vicinity of the net.
m3thods is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #1145
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
There's only so much you can do in a practice when it comes to improving. There's a reason players prefer playing to practicing on your own.

Once you're comfortable with skating and have some semblance of stick-handling, the only way to get used to playing the game is to actually play the game. You're bound to make mistakes when you're learning a game as difficult as ice hockey, but you learn from them.

Things that you can seriously improve off-ice is your conditioning/strength, and your shot. If you have a big yard, a net, and a bucket of pucks, that's what I would be doing when not playing. Against pretty much all beer-league goalies, if you have a good shot, you'll score a ton even if you can't skate and just hang out in the vicinity of the net.
so many people just play once a week (their league games) and wonder why they haven't improved in years... also, it isn't just phsyical skill.. it's reading play's, and anticipating what your next move/your opponents next moves are.
Spidey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #1146
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Kilinim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 981
Thanked 150 Times in 77 Posts
Anybody take a look at Sportchek's recent flyer? They had an RBK pro stock Ai for $119 that looked interesting. Didn't say Ai9 but I'd assume it'd be based on that. Anyone use one? Any info Skiipi?
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #1147
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
pinke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 127
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Anybody take a look at Sportchek's recent flyer? They had an RBK pro stock Ai for $119 that looked interesting. Didn't say Ai9 but I'd assume it'd be based on that. Anyone use one? Any info Skiipi?
Posted via RS Mobile
I haven't looked but if its the all black one then its an ai9 according to identification sticker on the shaft. In terms of looks its pretty nice having almost no graphics. Personally I feel is too heavy but to each their own.
Posted via RS Mobile
pinke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #1148
RS controls my life!
 
SolidPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 766
Thanked 585 Times in 147 Posts
But...if you havent looked at it yet, how do you know what it says on the shaft?
SolidPenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #1149
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
pinke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 127
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
But...if you havent looked at it yet, how do you know what it says on the shaft?
Sorry I should have stated that I haven't looked at the current flyer yet. I unpacked the sticks at my store when we first got them in.
pinke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #1150
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Kilinim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 981
Thanked 150 Times in 77 Posts
Ya that's the one I'm referring to pinke. I looked it up on Sportchek's website and it said they didn't come with a warranty. Not particularly a selling point lol.
__________________
S14.5
Kilinim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net