REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #1351
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

try heater room? dont leave it in the garage in the cold weather it wont dry
Advertisement
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #1352
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
How do you dry goalie equipment in a non-heated garage? I decided i didn't want the stains on my pads so i pressure washed all the gear, then realized i have no heaters or anything to help dry them with.

They are now hanging on a stick propped up by 2 ladders
what do you mean by stains? as in sweat stains on the white fabric, or puck marks?

Did you pressure wash your gloves and chest protector too? If you did, and they smelled, they are going to smell 10000 times more now that you fed it with that much water, and no time to dry! lol
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #1353
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
If you have the space for it I would recommend investing in a Rocket Sports Dryer. It's much quicker and more effective than just hanging. All of the reviews I've read online have been positive.
Good call.
One of my goaltending buddies bought one for his unheated garage and he loves it. IIRC he told me his gear is lighter than it's ever been after buying the dryer. I guess he had some moisture buildup.

I have a "hockey room" with lockers to hang my gear. Plus I bought a bunch of those metal racks when they were on sale at Canadian Tire. Hanging the gear is necessary to get it nice and dry.

*my new Warrior shoulder pads for when I'm winging it
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #1354
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
If only I was playing inline this year..I would totally get a pair. It's the same price as the Brian's pad cover at The Hockey Shop. It's definitely worth the money for roller goalies. I wonder if the VIHL and PICH will have rules to prevent using this stuff.

RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #1355
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
try heater room? dont leave it in the garage in the cold weather it wont dry
Moved it up to my balcony today in the nice sun and definately helped alot. Went from soaked to just kinda damp now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
If you have the space for it I would recommend investing in a Rocket Sports Dryer. It's much quicker and more effective than just hanging. All of the reviews I've read online have been positive.
Will look into one, not very often i wash the stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
what do you mean by stains? as in sweat stains on the white fabric, or puck marks?

Did you pressure wash your gloves and chest protector too? If you did, and they smelled, they are going to smell 10000 times more now that you fed it with that much water, and no time to dry! lol
Since none of our team knows how to skate we play in an outdoor concrete rink at a community center. So over time lots of dirt and sweat and stuff gets into the pads. Main problem was nobody was willing to take the gear home (Gear owned by team group buy) so we left it under the porch of a friend's home. The wet never got dry so mold started forming and making stains on the pads. Thats why i decided to pressure wash them but without any progress other than the brown sweat and dirt getting off. Googled it online and read a 1:2 dilution of rubbing alcohol would kill off the rest of the bacteria. Did that today, see how it goes tommorow. How the hell do you get rid of mold stains now in the fabric?
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #1356
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
If only I was playing inline this year..I would totally get a pair. It's the same price as the Brian's pad cover at The Hockey Shop. It's definitely worth the money for roller goalies. I wonder if the VIHL and PICH will have rules to prevent using this stuff.

Rollerfly in Action - YouTube

lol, I really doubt a rec league, let alone a roller hockey rec league would have restrictions on something like that.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #1357
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

So...I gave myself lace bite a month ago and ever since then, my right ankle(front part) hurts everytime I'm skating and since playing last night, hurts even in regular shoes today. Any way to relieve the pain? I've read of putting pads in socks prior to slipping on skates works? I assume my ankle also has some sort of bruising(even though none is visible) will icing take it away or any other working remedies?
Posted via RS Mobile
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #1358
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
perhaps try this?

A&R Lace Bite Pad
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #1359
I STILL don't get it

Does anyone know where i can find a Bauer one.9 stick?

I know sportscheck Richmond has it but not in my flex/curve.

Hockeyshop and Cyclone Taylor both apparently don't carry it!

Anyone??
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1360
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nates View Post
Does anyone know where i can find a Bauer one.9 stick?

I know sportscheck Richmond has it but not in my flex/curve.

Hockeyshop and Cyclone Taylor both apparently don't carry it!

Anyone??
Haven't seen them locally. Best bet would be online (hockeymonkey, for example).
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #1361
F3
My homepage has been set to RS

There's lots of curves left here
Bauer Supreme One.9 Sr. Hockey Stick
F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #1362
I STILL don't get it

Found it at hockey shop, they got 2 in yesterday. Hate paying full price tho, ugh.

I'll see how close to the one95 it is tonight.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #1363
I STILL don't get it

update: loved the one.9 - prefer it to last years totalone and this years nxg.

have yet to try the nexus, but as of now the one.9 is my preference.. very similar to the one95 shaft wise, as close as it'll ever get blade fell wise.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #1364
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nates View Post
update: loved the one.9 - prefer it to last years totalone and this years nxg.

have yet to try the nexus, but as of now the one.9 is my preference.. very similar to the one95 shaft wise, as close as it'll ever get blade fell wise.
how much did you pay for it, and did you ever try the one100
Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #1365
UFO

The one100 uses the APX blade which by all accounts is nothing like the one95. Not too many fans of the one100
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #1366
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The one100 uses the APX blade which by all accounts is nothing like the one95. Not too many fans of the one100
never tried the apx.. but I didn't like the x60 at all.. too much ping.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #1367
UFO

My bad, I meant X60 blade. It's been a long time since I've done stick research, my go to twig is still using a wooden blade.

Bauer One95 Vs One100 Stick - Ice Hockey Equipment - ModSquadHockey
Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
perhaps try this?

A&R Lace Bite Pad
That one is a good idea and all, unfortunately it still allows the plastic in the tongue to rub against your ankle.. I picked up this one at Cyclones today

Elite Lace Bite Gel Pad

Worked awesome.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #1369
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

what is a good skate for a beginner ice player?

i got a pair of mission fuel ag120 on clearance from hockey monkey..

unfortunately, it's half a size too big.. i mean i could manage and it shouldnt be a problem..

would you recommend using these or getting a new pair? theres probably half an inch of room a the toes
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
what is a good skate for a beginner ice player?

i got a pair of mission fuel ag120 on clearance from hockey monkey..

unfortunately, it's half a size too big.. i mean i could manage and it shouldnt be a problem..

would you recommend using these or getting a new pair? theres probably half an inch of room a the toes
You should get skates that fit, wearing something too big will make it tough for a beginner to learn. Mission skates run differently as well, I used to wear a size 9 in their ice and roller blades but I am a 7.5 in Bauer.

If you're just starting out then something in the $300 range would be good enough. I wouldn't go lower end because you're most likely going to want to upgrade in the near future because it's not stiff enough.

Without knowing your foot type/shape it's hard to recommend a specific brand or model. Your best bet is to go into a reputable shop, get sized up and try on as many styles as possible. You might get a slightly lower price online but local shops will have an upcharge for the first sharpening ($10) and for baking ($25-30). You might as well buy those locally just in case you have any issues you can always bring it back to the store and get them re-heated or punched.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #1371
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

$30 to bake them?
i can/have baked my rollers and my mission myself.

i had my foot measured and it was a 7..standard width as well.. i was told/read that missions run true to foot. so i grabbed a 7... we all know how that ended up now lol

my bauer inlines are a 6

shitty.. i only used these twice for rec skating too
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #1372
UFO

Yeah Mission's sizing was funky for a bit. I had some Fuel xp90 that were also supposed to run true to shoe size. But I noticed their euro sizing equivalent didn't match up with my shoe size, so I just bought a euro 41, which was a 7.5. I'm an 8.5-9 shoe. I find euro sizing is a slightly more reliable number. Your skates would be great if they fit you.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #1373

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
$30 to bake them?
i can/have baked my rollers and my mission myself.

i had my foot measured and it was a 7..standard width as well.. i was told/read that missions run true to foot. so i grabbed a 7... we all know how that ended up now lol

my bauer inlines are a 6

shitty.. i only used these twice for rec skating too
As long as you know what you're doing with baking... I've seen guys with composite quarters try to bake it themselves only to make the material shrivel up and bubble.

I believe Mission's sizing has changed over the years ever the Itech merger/Bauer buyout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Yeah Mission's sizing was funky for a bit. I had some Fuel xp90 that were also supposed to run true to shoe size. But I noticed their euro sizing equivalent didn't match up with my shoe size, so I just bought a euro 41, which was a 7.5. I'm an 8.5-9 shoe. I find euro sizing is a slightly more reliable number. Your skates would be great if they fit you.
I always buy my shoes based on the EUR sizing as well, it doesn't fluctuate as much as my US size.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #1374
UFO

Even before Mission went into ice, when their inline boots were supposed to be shoe size or half size smaller, I found that I needed 1.5 smaller than shoe size for a proper fit. Mission nowadays is the same as Bauer, last I read
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #1375
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

anyone interested in an avision ahead hockey shield? clear Brand new Avision Ahead Combo Mask

or a bauer reakt cage? large Brand new

$50 each

Last edited by jack3d; 01-15-2013 at 05:11 AM.
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote