REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #1426
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
i use a 75 flex stick cut down to about an 85-90ish flex. i weight about 165 so i think it's proper flex lol just dunno how to use the flex properly to help my shots

You should go lower. 1/2 your weight is a starting point and then you adjust your flex from there. I'd suggest going to intermediate stick 70/67 uncut. Which then should put you about 80/75 cut down. Just an fyi my APX is an intermediate 67flex and after cutting I'm at 75flex. A notable difference for me already and that's coming from a 85-90 cut down stick. I'm already thinking of going with a lower flex on my next stick.
Advertisement
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #1427
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Just bought a couple Warrior Widows from hockeymonkey. Shipping was quite fast too, only took 4 days to get to me.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #1428
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
You should go lower. 1/2 your weight is a starting point and then you adjust your flex from there. I'd suggest going to intermediate stick 70/67 uncut. Which then should put you about 80/75 cut down. Just an fyi my APX is an intermediate 67flex and after cutting I'm at 75flex. A notable difference for me already and that's coming from a 85-90 cut down stick. I'm already thinking of going with a lower flex on my next stick.
i have INT sticks that are 70, but using them on ice they feel so flimsy
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #1429
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The thing with that is INT sticks are already shorter than SR sticks uncut. So theres really no proper middle ground yet.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #1430
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
But then I can't use cheap prostock stickz from canucks salez lol

I always thought too stiff a stick it doesn't load properly, and too flexy is when you get the delay in release. I've settled on 70-75 flex at 180lbs mainly bc I'm a lazy shooter these days
you are right with what you stated... when I said delayed shooting with a stiffer stick, I meant physically having to wind up longer to put more power into loading a stick that is too stiff.

Quote:
i use a 75 flex stick cut down to about an 85-90ish flex. i weight about 165 so i think it's proper flex lol just dunno how to use the flex properly to help my shots

yes do it. i've done it for over a year now, and dennis and james are pretty good instructors. they've played hockey all their lives and make everything look so easy. honestly for the amount they charge (i think it comes out to $8 per session) it's pretty good. also they will push you if they know you can do it
if you don't know how to utilize the flex, that probably means its too stiff. if a stick is the proper flex, then loading it shouldn't be hard. the only think I had to get used to with a whippier shaft was slapshots where it is more technique than power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
The thing with that is INT sticks are already shorter than SR sticks uncut. So theres really no proper middle ground yet.
If you order sticks from Base, or any company that does custom orders, you can get flex ratings to your liking. Base makes seniors from 75+ in increments of 5, the even have junior shafts as stiff as 80!

As for stick feeling flimsy on ice, it's a matter of getting used to it. Using a stiff stick for so long, anything different will feel wrong.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #1431
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

my current stick of choice is a warrior dd spyne with a 55 flex (its a INT stick).
this works really well for me because im a noob and im a small guy (125 lbs)

my 2nd stick is a warrior dd dragon 70 flex. i definitely notice the loading time is longer with my shots.

the only problem is the 55 can feel like a noodle out there, especially when you receive passes.

Quote:
wanna teach me how to properly shoot a wrister?

flex the stick before you shoot. use your weight and less of your upper body.. like lift your left and lean into it

there are 2 types of wrist shots: quick shot and a power shot

edit.. found video for better explanation

Last edited by trip; 01-24-2013 at 10:05 PM.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #1432

Quote:
But then I can't use cheap prostock stickz from canucks salez lol

I always thought too stiff a stick it doesn't load properly, and too flexy is when you get the delay in release. I've settled on 70-75 flex at 180lbs mainly bc I'm a lazy shooter these days
No such thing as a cheap stick anymore! They keep jacking up the prices. $210 for a brand new stick? You're kidding me! Lots of places sell pro stocks for less.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #1433
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
how long is your stick now? Chin? collarbone?
It's a stock RBK 6K with a 75 flex and P38 (Datsyuk) curve.
I've cut it down about 3", and its just under my nose now while on skates. I took some slapshots with it this morning, and they worked pretty well. It's not a bad stick at all. Far better than the backup Bauer one40 that I bought. It's far too stiff, and there isn't much curve to it.

Base are around $250, which is really pricey for a stick. I think if you can get fitted for a base, then take that recipe to the hockey shop and find an off the shelf match. Buy two for the price of one Base.

Quote:
I'm already thinking of going with a lower flex on my next stick.
Check this out.
It's a special on Discovery about the science of hockey. The slow-mo is amazing, when you actually see how the sticks react.

Scoring With Science : Discovery Special: Scoring With Science
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #1434

Savoy Special is $169.99 and the Natural is $179.99. Base has never made a stick north of $200.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #1435
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Savoy Special is $169.99 and the Natural is $179.99. Base has never made a stick north of $200.
That's good info. The $250 must have included their "official" shooting analysis which was probably a lot more in depth than him throwing a blade on a shaft for me.

Or is it?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #1436
RS Veteran

Quote:
Did they just recently jack up the price, or is the price of the savoy after custom name plate and logo? Because I just purchased a base in november for 154, no name plate/logo, but you can still choose what blade/shaft finish, colour, flex etc.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #1437

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
Did they just recently jack up the price, or is the price of the savoy after custom name plate and logo? Because I just purchased a base in november for 154, no name plate/logo, but you can still choose what blade/shaft finish, colour, flex etc.
Is it the same price if you get it without the decals? The only upcharge I ever had to pay was $10 because my color combo was "custom" and not from their catalog.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #1438
RS Veteran

Quote:
Is it the same price if you get it without the decals? The only upcharge I ever had to pay was $10 because my color combo was "custom" and not from their catalog.
i never paid extra for any colour combo except when the black ops FIRST came out a few years back.

Now, all should be the same price, from what I know. I have purchased a total of 6 Base sticks, some for other people, and I never paid more than 154 without logo and name plate.

The only additional costs are for the logo/name plate which is the "customization" fee. and an extended length added to the stick.

they may charge extra for certain graphics not offered/your own graphics... but I don't plan on getting anything/paying extra for cosmetic stuff.

When did you get that 169/179 quote from them? I would be surprised if they upped their price 15 dollars in 3 months, that is why I am assuming that is the price for the savoy with custom name plate and logo.

So in a nutshell:

The price should still be 154 unless you get the name plate and logo

Off the rack sticks in store are 154, but you can also "customize" an off the rack stick for the same price (that is what I have always done) with no additional fee as long as the above name plate/logo aren't added.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #1439
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
anyone know if full face shields or cages are size specific to helmet or one size fit all?
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #1440
RS Veteran

Quote:
anyone know if full face shields or cages are size specific to helmet or one size fit all?
you should check compatibility... some are size specific. you are best getting a full face that is the same brand as the helmet
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #1441
UFO

I haven't had any problems fitting different cages to different brands of helmets. You do need to have different front mounts though depending on the alignment of the wire and helmet holes

I really like my Base Pro Hossa curve, I've even learned to backhand saucer it like my other less wacky curves
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #1442
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

there's usually a compatibility chart on the packaging of the cage
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #1443
RS Veteran

Quote:
I haven't had any problems fitting different cages to different brands of helmets. You do need to have different front mounts though depending on the alignment of the wire and helmet holes

I really like my Base Pro Hossa curve, I've even learned to backhand saucer it like my other less wacky curves
how long have you had it for? toe curves, although they look crazy, are easier to control your shots/passes with imo, as the puck consistently sits in the pocket for each shot/pass. the hossa is nice because it is actually a very flat blade from heel to mid.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #1444
UFO

I've had it for over a year now, but I've been playing goal a lot, and swapping back and forth with my Sakic/Naslund curved sticks when I play out. I stickhandle way better with the Hossa and it works pretty well for drag moves too. I only recently began to find the backhand touch with the curve so it took a bit of time, and I use the backhand saucer quite a bit.

I also tried an Ovi pro curve and wasn't man enough to handle that. haha
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #1445

Quote:
i never paid extra for any colour combo except when the black ops FIRST came out a few years back.

Now, all should be the same price, from what I know. I have purchased a total of 6 Base sticks, some for other people, and I never paid more than 154 without logo and name plate.

The only additional costs are for the logo/name plate which is the "customization" fee. and an extended length added to the stick.

they may charge extra for certain graphics not offered/your own graphics... but I don't plan on getting anything/paying extra for cosmetic stuff.

When did you get that 169/179 quote from them? I would be surprised if they upped their price 15 dollars in 3 months, that is why I am assuming that is the price for the savoy with custom name plate and logo.

So in a nutshell:

The price should still be 154 unless you get the name plate and logo

Off the rack sticks in store are 154, but you can also "customize" an off the rack stick for the same price (that is what I have always done) with no additional fee as long as the above name plate/logo aren't added.
The prices I was quoted are from their website (you need to sign up for an account and log in to see it) and the same prices were confirmed when someone asked on their Facebook page recently.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #1446

Just tried FB sharpening for the first time........bites like there's no tmrw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
which is really pricey for a stick.
Coming from you, I'm quite surprised you find anything pricey.....lol
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #1447
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

wondering if these are compatible:

Bauer Deluxe 920 Full Shield
Reebok 8K Hockey Helmet
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #1448
RS Veteran

Quote:
The prices I was quoted are from their website (you need to sign up for an account and log in to see it) and the same prices were confirmed when someone asked on their Facebook page recently.
it's still unclear whether those prices include the 15 dollar custom fee... if they raised their price by 15 bucks since november, then I will be hesitant to purchase from them in the future as their savoy special is technically more and more outdated, and shouldn't be getting more exp
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #1449
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Coming from you, I'm quite surprised you find anything pricey.....lol

Really though, money is tough to come by these days. It still hurts that I recently dropped $150 on a new Bauer composite goalie stick, only to have the first shot hit the short side of the paddle and smashed it to bits.

First fxxking shot!!!!!

Hockey is still cheaper than coke and hookers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
wondering if these are compatible:

Bauer Deluxe 920 Full Shield
Reebok 8K Hockey Helmet
I have an 8k helmet, with a Bauer 9500 cage and it works awesome.
I take off the cage when I'm coaching, and put it back on when I'm playing out of net. It's a super easy combo to work with.

Quote:
it's still unclear whether those prices include the 15 dollar custom fee...
From what I'm seeing, Base quotes a different deal depending on who you are, and who you talk to.

I kind of got that from them when I visited their Burnaby location. I wanted to buy some synthetic ice tiles, and buddy wouldn't give me the time of day. I guess he didn't think I could afford it. He just kept saying "those tiles, they're really expensive".

First lesson in sales 101; shut the fuck up, or chance that you'll say something stupid and lose the sale.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #1450
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

Really though, money is tough to come by these days. It still hurts that I recently dropped $150 on a new Bauer composite goalie stick, only to have the first shot hit the short side of the paddle and smashed it to bits.

First fxxking shot!!!!!

Hockey is still cheaper than coke and hookers though.

I have an 8k helmet, with a Bauer 9500 cage and it works awesome.
I take off the cage when I'm coaching, and put it back on when I'm playing out of net. It's a super easy combo to work with.

From what I'm seeing, Base quotes a different deal depending on who you are, and who you talk to.

I kind of got that from them when I visited their Burnaby location. I wanted to buy some synthetic ice tiles, and buddy wouldn't give me the time of day. I guess he didn't think I could afford it. He just kept saying "those tiles, they're really expensive".

First lesson in sales 101; shut the fuck up, or chance that you'll say something stupid and lose the sale.

as a goalie, you should know better than to use a composite goal stick!

secondly, i don't think base is even a dealer for synthetic tiles. if you google synthetic tiles, you will get some contacts for different companies, and yes they are expensive.