REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #1801
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
Played for the first time last night in 6 years. Weird using new gear but I'm pretty happy that everything felt pretty good and other then still being unsure about my helmet and how low my visor comes I'm fairly impressed. Man it's going to take me a while to learn how to use that stick tho. Wasn't getting the solid hard shot that I'm used too.
Advertisement
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #1802
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
it's all the different/low kick points in the newer sticks these days compared to the mids from the old standard shaft/blade combos and wood sticks
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #1803
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Played for the first time last night in 6 years. Weird using new gear but I'm pretty happy that everything felt pretty good and other then still being unsure about my helmet and how low my visor comes I'm fairly impressed. Man it's going to take me a while to learn how to use that stick tho. Wasn't getting the solid hard shot that I'm used too.
The visors are a pain in the ass. Mine kept fogging up that night too. It took about 30 seconds on the ice for it to clear up fully, but that's a half a shift!

You put one in the net off a solid shot. That was nice! Overall it was a pretty good night of hockey. We need to get Spidey out there next time to show us how it's done.

Since this is the whoring thread, I'm looking at a new Vaughn 7990 mitt. I have an issue with pucks bouncing off my palm and leaving a nasty welt in the process. The 7990 is made with a lower pocket which helps control pucks based on my natural glove style.

I can get one in black to match my Vaughn V5 waffleboard blocker. But like most Vaughn gear, it's $$$. We're looking at $500 for a glove. That's money.

Last edited by originalhypa; 06-17-2013 at 09:40 AM.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #1804
In RS I Trust

It was a great night of hockey, thanks again for the invite. A trick with visors is use hair conditioner which will help prevent the visor from fogging up

Gotta say I'm still sore but can't wait for the next ice time.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #1805
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Try mounting the visor a bit further away from your face if you continue to have fogging issues.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #1806
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
It was a great night of hockey, thanks again for the invite. A trick with visors is use hair conditioner which will help prevent the visor from fogging up

Gotta say I'm still sore but can't wait for the next ice time.
i never had fogging issues with visors I owned as I always bought Oakleys and the higher end bauer/itechs that have the anti fog coating. I always clean it with the suggested anti fog sprays too.. more players these days are using Pledge surface cleaner too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
The visors are a pain in the ass. Mine kept fogging up that night too. It took about 30 seconds on the ice for it to clear up fully, but that's a half a shift!

You put one in the net off a solid shot. That was nice! Overall it was a pretty good night of hockey. We need to get Spidey out there next time to show us how it's done.

what????? when did you play???
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Just got back from the Canucks Equipment sale which was quite good if you were looking for twigs. They had a wide assortment of new and used sticks, new sticks from $75-200 and used from $50-75.

Picked myself a new 90 flex CCM RBZ, Ballard curve (Sakic, basically) for $75. Good stuff!
The Canucks sale was one of the more disappointing ones in recent memory. You got a pretty good deal on the RBZ but other than that there weren't many good deals at this sale. If the Vancouver Giants sold sticks this year it would've been better by a long shot.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #1808
My homepage has been set to RS

^

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. They had nearly no gear for sale aside from left-handed sticks, so overall it was pretty disappointing as you said.

Little to no protective equipment, some shitty leftover skates that were too big for almost everyone I saw, etc. Reading online about other teams' sales, I was hoping for a lot more.

Happy with the twig though, should have grabbed two of 'em!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #1809
In RS I Trust

I'm not surprised with the shorter season and all
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #1810

Flames and Oilers still had pretty epic sales like they normally do. 2013 Oilers Locker Room Sale presented by Ford - 08/06/2013 - Edmonton Oilers - Photos People will actually camp out the night before.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #1811
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

Since this is the whoring thread, I'm looking at a new Vaughn 7990 mitt. I have an issue with pucks bouncing off my palm and leaving a nasty welt in the process. The 7990 is made with a lower pocket which helps control pucks based on my natural glove style.

I can get one in black to match my Vaughn V5 waffleboard blocker. But like most Vaughn gear, it's $$$. We're looking at $500 for a glove. That's money.
Check the Palm style for the glove. There is Game Ready, Pro, and practice palms. Don't bother with the first. Get at LEAST the pro palm.

Practice palm will be the cushiest. But most expensive.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #1812
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I always clean it with the suggested anti fog sprays too.. more players these days are using Pledge surface cleaner too.

I was having issues with fogging and will try out those anti fog sprays. I've never had to use them with the cage, but I can't play with that anymore. It's just a pain.

Quote:
what????? when did you play???
Friday night. We had about 17 guys out, some great skaters, some good skater, and me. It was at sportsplex in Langley, so I didn't post about it here.

If you'd like, pm me your email address and I'll add your name to the list.
I try to get the ice about every two weeks, and it's always a good skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Flames and Oilers still had pretty epic sales like they normally do. 2013 Oilers Locker Room Sale presented by Ford - 08/06/2013 - Edmonton Oilers - Photos People will actually camp out the night before.
That's almost worth the trip to Alberta.
I'd love to get a pair of pro return Oilers gloves and hang them on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
Check the Palm style for the glove. There is Game Ready, Pro, and practice palms. Don't bother with the first. Get at LEAST the pro palm.

Practice palm will be the cushiest. But most expensive.
Good call.

Pro palm is where it's at. Even for wear, it's the only level of quality that will survive the punishment that my glove takes. I could be out there 5 times a week, and the constant abuse and need for drying doesn't help.

Plus I never fell in love with my Bauer One 60 glove. Even after lacing in a "skate lace" pocket.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #1813

Quote:

Good call.

Pro palm is where it's at. Even for wear, it's the only level of quality that will survive the punishment that my glove takes. I could be out there 5 times a week, and the constant abuse and need for drying doesn't help.

Plus I never fell in love with my Bauer One 60 glove. Even after lacing in a "skate lace" pocket.
Do you absolutely need to use a Vaughn Glove?

What kind of style do you play? I have a few suggestions in terms of trappers.

do you have a preference on:

Single or double T

Break angle

One or 2 piece cuff

Brand

Pricepoint

One thing I can also chime in on: The One60 is an entry level glove, so the protection is crap. The reason why you're getting welts is because it's a "Game ready" Palm, which offers only 1/4" of felt padding on the palm. Pro palms have about 3/8" of felt and practice palms are 1/2" or more. Due to the amount of material, however, it will also affect break-in periods and ease to close (you're never going to be able to close practice palms out of the box. Will require SIGNIFICANT break-in".

On goaliemonkey.com, they have mid level equipment that have the pro-palms as a special from them at little or no extra cost over the regular units.

Based on the one60 spec, I would recommend the following, all of which are under $500:

Bauer One90 single cuff http://goaliemonkey.com/bauer-goalie...-one90-sr.html <---pro palm upgrade

Bauer RX10 <---Had this glove. One clearance at goaliemonkey. FANTASTIC glove for the hybrid goalie

Bauer Reactor 4000 <----Haven't tried it in game. Not entirely sure how the palm is, although it's reinforced.

RBK P4 18K <----I have this one. With the Goaliemonkey pro palm insert. Friggin awesome! pro palm closes full right out of the box!

CCM E-Flex 500 <--- P4 clone with a bit of a different catch angle (Closer to 90 degrees). reinforced palm. Closes out of the box as well.

If you want to test out the RBK 18K, we can always meet up at a session or just any time in general, and you can try it on. My gloves are always kept clean and stink free, so don't worry. It's not gross haha. Also Check the used market. I have a way to have glove units cleaned if you go used.

There are others on the list. Just ask if you're unsure!

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 06-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #1814
they call me the snowman

First off, thanks for the goalie store link on my wall. I've been on the site there for about a year, but have yet to check out the classifieds. There is a lot of selection there.

My one60 was an impulse buy that I made last season. It was at he hockey shop on sale, and while it was a big change from what I was used to with it's single T, two piece cuff and about 75 degree angle, it was nice to have a new glove for once. That glove has seen a lot of rubber, but like you say it's an entry level glove and has that level of protection. It's not that it's a bad glove, or has bad pocket placement. But it doesn't have the great feel of my last glove.

I like the Vaughn for a couple reasons. Vaughn gear is awesome. Mike is a great designer, and the people on their staff are passionate about the position. It really shows in their equipment. Vaughn gloves are so supple right out of the box. I hate breaking in gear, so that's a benefit. Finally, I'd like to match my v5 vintage style blocker.

I've been checking out smaller company gear since buying a set of Passau knee pads.

The Boddam Excell is a really nice glove.

I can get a completely custom made glove with any color, pocket, lace, and cuff option I want, all for about $400. Canadian made, and they have a good history of quality equipment.

Passau makes an amazing looking glove. Jenpro - $350, real leather - $400. Plus all the same options as Boddam.

passau stuff is sharp looking.

Then there's good old McKinney. Again, they're Canadian made and full custom.

I like their old skool vintage 12" pads.

I think I'm going to check out the Passau today. Money isn't really an issue, but what bothers me is that I have yet to jump on a new mitt.
Maybe it's my subconscious telling me that Passau is the right choice?

hmmmm.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #1815

What was your last glove?

I like vaughns too but not the design as much. Dunno why. Just the look of them makes me go "meh".

I'm a bigger fan of Bauers, and SOME RBK. But with RBK there has been QC issues with their products, and I'm not a huge fan of the P4 or Larceny pads.

Warrior's been very interesting to me though.

LOL maybe. I think Passau's stuff is fantastic too.

At the moment, since I'm on a bit of a budget, I'm leaning more towards Simmons.

I got the Simmons 997 C/A and it's been fantastic. Pro level protection at about $350.

Their gear is designed very closely based on the Vaughns, so I figure you might be more interested in them. All their stuff has customization options.

I use their sticks and they've been awesome as well (until someone fell on it and broke it last night =( )

if I had all the money in the world I'd either go Passau or Brians. For sure =)

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 06-20-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #1816
they call me the snowman

My last glove was a Bauer RX6, and prior to that an old school TPS Summit that I had been using in ball hockey for the last decade.
I guess that's why the one60 was such a great glove in the beginning. It was replacing virtual garbage!

I use a lot of RBK equipment, but I find it's just okay. I have yet to fall in love with any RBK gear like I did with the Passau knees, and Vaughn blocker. Those pieces changed the way I looked at equipment, and changed my future expectations in the process.

I despise Warrior gear. I've never had luck with their stuff, and know lots of guys who only got a year of use out of their Warrior before it broke down. Bauer seems to be pretty good. Although you have to spend a bit more on the higher quality Bauer, because their low end stuff doesn't last.

Ah yes, Simmons. I forgot about them!
The 997 is one that's been around forever, and it doesn't need to be changed. While Reebok and Bauer redesigned the C/A over the years they got away from the individual protection pods, companies like Simmons, Boddam, and even Vaughn stuck with them.

vs:

I hate how the Reebok neck cuts down so low. I've taken deflections off the clavicle before, and it hurts.

The only off-the-shelf chestie that I really liked was the Bauer Pro.

It fits well, and I love the adjustment. Plus it has the JDP elbow cups which are so very protective.

Finally, I tried out the Warrior pro chest, and hated it. After waiting months for it to arrive, and reading all the reviews on it I was super hopeful that it would change the way gear is made. But all it did was lock up on me.....

Boo!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #1817

eeeew.....RX6..... =p
EEEEEEWWWW TPS......

I love my 997. I pretty much don't get stingers (forearm below floaters are a little weak, but they're actually working on it with me. Made me a new extension that comes out from the floaters =).
In terms of clavicle protection....the C/A's easily adjusted to have it sit higher. There's also a beef-up kit for the arm floaters and chest/belly area as well. Shoulder caps and main shoulder floaters all have a HD piece underneath to with adjust, remove or add protection.

My review here: Simmons 997 C/A - Goalie Store Bulletin Board

Their customer service has been really good, and so far, I like the product a lot! VERY versatile unit. Almost NO break-in period.

In terms of RBK, I find their little details a pain. My P4 glove, where the nylon strings are tied at the ends, ALWAYS come loose. I have to tie and burn them once a week. Never had that issue with my Bauers. A lot of their gear feels a bit cheap, but given that I've only been using the glove set for a month, I can't judge yet. But so far so good.

My RX10's were friggin AWESOME. I was TRIPLE dutying them on ball/roller then ice. They kept going and going and going. Never had a major wear issue with them.

I have RX8 pads, which also see a lot of duty. For a year and a half now. No issue with wear whatsoever. Only thing I've replaced is the knee stack foam and a new AKL with more padding.

I heard with the Warrior line, you have to get the whole set to have it work properly. Apparently it was all designed to function as one unit. I find it very cool and innovative, but it's a hate/love thing with them apparently =[

I HATE the P4 C/A. the shoulder floaters actually cut into the side of your neck on arm manuevers. Break-in is a B*tch, and I'm just not a fan. By comparison, the P2's were FAR superior, according to most major consensus out there.

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 06-20-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #1818

Got up early this morning to drop off the wife for AM classes and headed over to BASE to pick up a new stick with a GC a friend gave me. Shot a shit load of pucks nonstop for an hour straight, DRYFIT shirt was soaked with my sweat and gave myself a super nice blister on my right palm. Ordered their new stick the SUPERNATURAL. Stick felt great...at least at the store it did. Can't wait to pick it up!!
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #1819
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Got up early this morning to drop off the wife for AM classes and headed over to BASE to pick up a new stick with a GC a friend gave me. Shot a shit load of pucks nonstop for an hour straight, DRYFIT shirt was soaked with my sweat and gave myself a super nice blister on my right palm. Ordered their new stick the SUPERNATURAL. Stick felt great...at least at the store it did. Can't wait to pick it up!!
I am waiting for their new Kovy pattern to come out before I order the Supernatural.. That and when the Supernatural comes in different finishes other than the polar fibre. I don't really dig the neon on the logo either.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #1820

Originalhypa:

Check out Thegoaliecrease's website. They partnered with Brian's for a V-series gear set....I want.... =D
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #1821
they call me the snowman

I was checking that out. Such nice gear!
After about a week of reviewing, I ended up going with the Passau "Stolz" trapper.

I went with a double T in a larger diameter (screw NHL rules, I'm only 5'11"!).
White skate lace pocket (not shown), standard palm, Black carbon glove, black binding, white stitching, with mostly white pocket, and antique bronze Passau logo (I'm having the Stolz and 90 removed).

I hope to get a pic soon for me to sign off on, as I'm not sure about the carbon black vs JenPro black. So far Passau has been good to work with, and there are a lot of great reviews so I'm hopeful. It's scary spending $400 on a trapper, sight unseen.

Last edited by originalhypa; 06-26-2013 at 11:54 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #1822
they call me the snowman

For shits and giggles, here are some pics of my current setup.

Eddy GT mask with GM cheater cage.

The current one60 trapper

Rbk 10k skates with taller blades (extreme pic'd below. They're too tall, imo)

The stick collection (the one100 is the best stick evAr!!!!!)

C/A to be replaced soon. It's so old, but it's also so well worn in that it's hard to change.

Pads too.
I picked up the 33+2 pro series, which are nice pads. But I don't like not having a break in them. The next set of pads will be a lot more flexible, probably the Passau pic'd above.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #1823

Quote:
I was checking that out. Such nice gear!
After about a week of reviewing, I ended up going with the Passau "Stolz" trapper.

I went with a double T in a larger diameter (screw NHL rules, I'm only 5'11"!).
White skate lace pocket (not shown), standard palm, Black carbon glove, black binding, white stitching, with mostly white pocket, and antique bronze Passau logo (I'm having the Stolz and 90 removed).

I hope to get a pic soon for me to sign off on, as I'm not sure about the carbon black vs JenPro black. So far Passau has been good to work with, and there are a lot of great reviews so I'm hopeful. It's scary spending $400 on a trapper, sight unseen.

I f*ckin hate you. And so so envious. LOL
Old 06-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #1824

and dude....wanna trade danglers? LOL. My dangler not quite wide enough for my mask...but I know yours will fit.....heh heh
Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1825
RS Veteran

Quote:
For shits and giggles, here are some pics of my current setup.

Eddy GT mask with GM cheater cage.

The current one60 trapper

Rbk 10k skates with taller blades (extreme pic'd below. They're too tall, imo)

The stick collection (the one100 is the best stick evAr!!!!!)

C/A to be replaced soon. It's so old, but it's also so well worn in that it's hard to change.

Pads too.
I picked up the 33+2 pro series, which are nice pads. But I don't like not having a break in them. The next set of pads will be a lot more flexible, probably the Passau pic'd above.

I am glad I am not a goalie, or else I would be super broke. I would get new stuff all the time!

Hey Hypa,

How much do you want for those Vintage Eagle mitts?