REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #1876
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Hey guys,

I was on the phone today with one of the managers at the Richmond Centre Sportchek/Hockey Experts
and one of the main discussion was about price matching online competitors such as Hockey Monkey.

we realize that a large amount of "savy" shoppers are trying on the gear at stores then ordering the gear online thru one of the online retailers, the question is, if select sport chek hockey expert locations were to price match these online retailers would you guys start purchasing more of your gear from these stores?
I definitely would. As a goalie, I always prefer to try the gear on before buying. HOWEVER, the price difference between here and the US is WAY too much (I purchased a piece for my pads at $55 here, only to find out goalie monkey has them for $30).

It's time Canadian retailers get up to speed on a lot of this.

We're the hockey country yet we sell shit at a huge premium. The sales are never there or super late. We simply have done a half ass job keeping up competition with the market. With a country who doesn't even recognize hockey as its top 3 sports.
Advertisement
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #1877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomop View Post
Yes. An issue that consumers would deal with purchasing online is the amount of time it takes to do returns.

Also (this is just my personal preference), but when purchasing goods, I like to get them in person whenever possible.
but when Sport Chek sells a set of goalie pads for $200 (!) more than ANYWHERE else....I won't buy from them. Hell no.

And when they tell me it's Bauer that tells them to sell it at that, I call their bullshit. I know exactly what Bauer sets their prices on with certain products. It's SC that's not following them.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #1878
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

until our government lowers the duties and tariffs on hockey gear coming into Canada, I don't know if Canadian retailers can ever compete with the shops down south.
Posted via RS Mobile
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #1879
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
if select sport chek hockey expert locations were to price match these online retailers would you guys start purchasing more of your gear from these stores?
Hell yeah man!
Not even a direct price match, as I believe that brink and mortar retailers offer so much more than an online store with the ability to try on, return, etc.

I spend thousands a year on gear, and a lot of it is spent in Canada, but the US sites get a lot of my money because of the great selection, and better prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
No. Because roller is beat.

So sad.
Maybe I'll like hockey house, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
Yeah I did! Now I need to find a time to do it. Nursing a nagging rib injury right now....
Take care of it man!
Ribs are tough, try not to laugh.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #1880

Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
until our government lowers the duties and tariffs on hockey gear coming into Canada, I don't know if Canadian retailers can ever compete with the shops down south.
Posted via RS Mobile
If TheHockeyShop and Cyclone can do it, I don't see why they can't, considering the volume.

AND. Bauer equipment is Canada operated. There are no import tariffs.
PLUS. Bauer has updated their product pricing across the board for US and Canada (Canada is actually cheaper). No reason SC can't follow it.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #1881
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Richmond Ice Center by Silver City
they do stick and puck year round , but not stick and wheel if thats what u meant

as for skippi, yes if they priced match, i would be buying more shit from SC.

I think even Langara college started price matching amazon.com (or .ca ) now as well.

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #1882
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
they do stick and puck year round , but not stick and wheel if thats what u meant

as for skippi, yes if they priced match, i would be buying more shit from SC.

I think even Langara college started price matching amazon.com (or .ca ) now as well.
fuckkkk, got my hopes up
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #1883

well when do u need it? They have stick n wheel right now
Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #1884
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
well when do u need it? They have stick n wheel right now
hoping to get some practice in before next season starts...so probably around February
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #1885

hmmm hard to say. I'd call them up and see. I remember they having it in march....
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #1886
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

I was on the phone today with one of the managers at the Richmond Centre Sportchek/Hockey Experts
and one of the main discussion was about price matching online competitors such as Hockey Monkey.

we realize that a large amount of "savy" shoppers are trying on the gear at stores then ordering the gear online thru one of the online retailers, the question is, if select sport chek hockey expert locations were to price match these online retailers would you guys start purchasing more of your gear from these stores?
Yes.
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #1887
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Hey guys,

If I was a shop owner I would not price match Hockey Monkey prices unless the customer received the same level of service.

I will price match an online retailer if I were to simply show the customer a photo of the item. They can't try it on and they'll need to pay extra for shipping. If you want to bring the item home with you today, you better get Express shipping. Any sort of customer service will be limited to email or a phone number.

The first sharpening on a new pair of skates will be free, but if you do so, there will be no returns.

Any fit issues with your skates, please bring it to your local retailer as we can't do anything about it. I've seen tons of guys bring poorly fitted/sized skates into shops because they made their purchase with price being the number one factor.

I always purchase my skates locally because if I need to alter the fit of the boot in any way I can take it back to the shop at no additional charge. If the skate still doesn't fit then they'll find another model that will.

Quote:
I definitely would. As a goalie, I always prefer to try the gear on before buying. HOWEVER, the price difference between here and the US is WAY too much (I purchased a piece for my pads at $55 here, only to find out goalie monkey has them for $30).

It's time Canadian retailers get up to speed on a lot of this.

We're the hockey country yet we sell shit at a huge premium. The sales are never there or super late. We simply have done a half ass job keeping up competition with the market. With a country who doesn't even recognize hockey as its top 3 sports.
The taxes/duties charged to bring equipment into the country is to blame. Canadian retailers are paying more and still need to make a profit while their American counterparts don't have such a tax. The markup on hockey equipment isn't as big as what some of you may think.

Quote:
If TheHockeyShop and Cyclone can do it, I don't see why they can't, considering the volume.

AND. Bauer equipment is Canada operated. There are no import tariffs.
PLUS. Bauer has updated their product pricing across the board for US and Canada (Canada is actually cheaper). No reason SC can't follow it.
In terms of size, Cyclones and The Hockey Shop are small players compared to the online Giants, Monkeys and Warehouses.

As far as I know Cyclones will only price match other local shops' advertised prices, not online retailers. The import tariffs will apply to Bauer products since most of their gear is made off shore.

There's been much recent talk of reducing the tariffs so Canadian retailers can compete with the US. Jim Flaherty to cut hockey gear import tax: Report | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #1888
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
As far as I know Cyclones will only price match other local shops' advertised prices, not online retailers. The import tariffs will apply to Bauer products since most of their gear is made off shore.
Last I heard Cyclones wouldn't even match THEIR OWN online prices if they are selling the same piece in store at a higher price, this was a few years ago though so may be different now?

With regards to matching online pricing, I think most knowledgable and saavy customers understand the realities of store shopping vs. online shopping, if the price difference was 10-20%, most would probably happily support the local shop and get that service, and this would be sustainable at MSRP. The problem comes when the online retailers start to discount and clear out their gear, that is where brick and mortar stores stand virtually zero chance of competing unless they are willing to take an operational loss or even an actual loss on the item, and hoping to 'win' the customer over with their level of service. And honestly of many of the hockey shops I've been to, the level of service is mediocre at best and I'd rather do my own online research/reviews vs. asking a 16yo 'brah' what he would recommend

+1 on import tariffs and duties, they are based on country of origin/assembly and not where the parent company is based. Like anything, I also suspect volume is a huge driver to pricing as well. Although Canada is way more popular in Canada than the US, I would be surprised if the sales numbers in any way reflect this; odds are way more $$ are still sold in the US vs. Canada. It would take at least a Forzani's group to even get close to what HG, HM, IW could buy in a single shot volume wise.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #1889

Cyclone Taylors (the store) used to act as a separately entity from CycloneTaylor.com and didn't match prices back in the day... probably around the early-mid 2000s.

I can confirm they do match their online price now. They sold the Bauer Pro Series shoulders for $149.99 in store, their website said $99.99 and they honored it.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #1890

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
I think Sport Chek can start matching prices on a 'per case' basis
But not on a national advertised level.

I will give the manager of the RC chek a call later this week to discuss,
But in the mean time, don't be afraid to ask the managers nicely if they are able to price match, you might be suprised to find out about the results.

U guys can PM me as to who to talk to, generally as long as we are not losing money, we will usually do it.
I know if I was the GM of a store like Richmond (price sensitive but high disposiable income customers), I would totally do it, afterall, if I make no $ on protective, skate and stick, but if you guys buy other stuff like tee shirts, shoes etc from the store then that's overall more business for the store....its just good business.
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #1891

Quote:
but when Sport Chek sells a set of goalie pads for $200 (!) more than ANYWHERE else....I won't buy from them. Hell no.

And when they tell me it's Bauer that tells them to sell it at that, I call their bullshit. I know exactly what Bauer sets their prices on with certain products. It's SC that's not following them.
Sportchek isn't trying to get into the Goalie market, its too niche, and we do a half ass job of it.
I spoke w/ the Vp of purchasing for hockey, and he hopes that with the acqusition of Pro Hockey Life, we will attempt goalie again in some of the PHL stores.
We tried to do goalie in some of our hockey expert stores, but our inventory turn ratio is too low to stay relevant with up to date gear.

That been said, SC will price match to move the limited goalie that we do have.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #1892

skiipi, any talks of Pro Hockey Life opening in BC in the near future?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #1893

Quote:
skiipi, any talks of Pro Hockey Life opening in BC in the near future?
The PHL transisiton will happen in 2014, so FGL sports operations won't be taking over PHL until Q3 of 2014 at the earliest.
So likely no new store openings until 2015, and I don't know if BC can support a PHL...60-70Ksqft of hockey?....where would you open it?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #1894

Not all of the stores will need to be that big. When I was in Ontario/Quebec last November I visited a few Pro Hockey Life and Sports Rousseau stores.

Just like Sportchek, not all of them are going to be a huge megastore like Vaughan Mills. What I liked about these stores was the selection and the ability to try sticks out before you bought them.

The Vaughan Mills store also had a lot of merchandise that could be shed as well. They had a large portion of the store dedicated to sports memorabilia and novelties which they don't really specialize in. If I'm going into a hockey store looking to buy equipment, it's unlikely I will leave with books, framed photos or light switch covers.

I'm not an expert on commercial real estate but it would make sense to convert an existing Sportchek that isn't doing too well into a Pro Hockey Life. Every time I go to Marine Drive and Ontario location the staff always outnumber the customers in the store.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #1895

Quote:
Not all of the stores will need to be that big. When I was in Ontario/Quebec last November I visited a few Pro Hockey Life and Sports Rousseau stores.

Just like Sportchek, not all of them are going to be a huge megastore like Vaughan Mills. What I liked about these stores was the selection and the ability to try sticks out before you bought them.

The Vaughan Mills store also had a lot of merchandise that could be shed as well. They had a large portion of the store dedicated to sports memorabilia and novelties which they don't really specialize in. If I'm going into a hockey store looking to buy equipment, it's unlikely I will leave with books, framed photos or light switch covers.

I'm not an expert on commercial real estate but it would make sense to convert an existing Sportchek that isn't doing too well into a Pro Hockey Life. Every time I go to Marine Drive and Ontario location the staff always outnumber the customers in the store.
It something we will look into for sure, we tired something similar at deerfoot mall in calgary of a 40K sqft of Hockey Expert, the store wasn't doing the dollars then we converted into Hockey Expert + Fitness Source, then Canadian Tire bought us and they wanted the dominant market share in the fitness industry, so that store became a Sportchek w/ an extra large Hockey Expert Department.
We still didnt do a very good job with it.

I dont know the PHL banner very well as it is, what I do know is that they will fall under the same umbrella as Sportchek and be managed at the top level by the same core group of people.

As for existing sportchek's, the store that potentially could close next september is the one on Marine Way near New West that store isnt doing too well financially.....as for the Marine/Ontario store, we will likely wait another year or two to see if the condo development in the area will help draw some additional traffic......
Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #1896

About set prices on products......not always a tariff case.

Also. I know a few guys that work for THS and TGC......markup on certain goalie items are actually quite high. (more than 40%)

Bauer Reactor 4000 Sr. Goalie Leg Pads

Bauer Reactor 4000 Senior Leg Pads - The Hockey Shop Source for Sports | Bauer, CCM, Warrior, Reebok, Vaughn, Brians, Gongshow, NHL, Goalie

That being said.....maybe the reactor 4000 line isn't moving that well....
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #1897

Quote:

Also. I know a few guys that work for THS and TGC......markup on certain goalie items are actually quite high. (more than 40%)

Bauer Reactor 4000 Senior Leg Pads - The Hockey Shop Source for Sports | Bauer, CCM, Warrior, Reebok, Vaughn, Brians, Gongshow, NHL, Goalie

Like i said earlier, chek does a bad job w/ goalie
and I think with the limited quantity of goalie we order, our cost sucks too
and due to how much dollars it actually ties up (minimal amount), there is no analyst at our head office watching the sell-thru and trends of these goalie gear so they dont realize that it is not moving at the price they marked it up as.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #1898

On a side note, just saw the 2013 product assortment list....
Select Hockey Expert locations will be carrying Graf Skates now...bit too late if you ask me....but better than never I guess
Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #1899

Quote:

You're right about goal gear (and hockey equipment in general) having around a 40-50% margin. It's very low compared to something like a licensed NHL jersey (100%+ margin depending on the store.) Clothing and shoe retailers would still laugh at these numbers.

The Hockey Shop is having their sale right now and looking at some of their advertised deals they're selling some things near or below cost just to bring people through the doors and hoping they buy other things too.

Quote:
On a side note, just saw the 2013 product assortment list....
Select Hockey Expert locations will be carrying Graf Skates now...bit too late if you ask me....but better than never I guess
Just as more local shops are abandoning the sinking ship known as Graf. I agree it's too late for them as well. If this was 2003 it would be a no brainer to carry Graf but they've done little to innovate in the last decade. The G75 was supposed to compete against other top end skates and they're just getting slaughtered.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #1900
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
The Hockey Shop is having their sale right now and looking at some of their advertised deals they're selling some things near or below cost just to bring people through the doors and hoping they buy other things too.
Teammate told me they had 50% off on some APX skates for the first 6 people or something ridiculous like that on Monday.

While I am a bit of a gear whore, I am not quite in tune with what is new.
That being said, my biggest fear now is buying counterfeit gear. I have heard of counterfeit sticks being for sale cheap on ebay and CL.
And I have heard of stories of reputable stores that were selling counterfeit Canucks jersey's during the '10 playoff run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote