REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #2201
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
I've been looking at shoulders for the past 6 months. I ended up narrowing it down to 20K's. Haven't had time to pick up a set yet, but as far as I know, 20k's are a new model? But I really like the fit and mobility it offers. Not the lightest out there (compared to CCM CL) but it's light for its size. Also isn't the all foam shoulder cap a new technology as well?
Yup to all points brought up.

I took pictures (well my gf did) of me wearing both 20k and AX1. The AX1s "look" better in that they fit really close to the body. That said there are a few issues with protection that I can see (front of bicep, and upper back near shoulders). The 20k's cover both places much better, at the "cost" of not looking as slim. The 20k caps though are a bit big for my liking, but looking at the side profile with them on, they are actually "slimmer" than the chest-back distance. Hard to believe looking at them, but pictures don't lie.

The 20ks are really light. Almost insanely light. When it's on you, it's hard to see the difference vs the CLs. I'm sure though after a game though, the CLs will still be insanely light.

Check out the AX1s. I'm fairly stocky, so a M didn't seem to cover as much as I'd like. But damn they felt so good.
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #2202
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Yup to all points brought up.

I took pictures (well my gf did) of me wearing both 20k and AX1. The AX1s "look" better in that they fit really close to the body. That said there are a few issues with protection that I can see (front of bicep, and upper back near shoulders). The 20k's cover both places much better, at the "cost" of not looking as slim. The 20k caps though are a bit big for my liking, but looking at the side profile with them on, they are actually "slimmer" than the chest-back distance. Hard to believe looking at them, but pictures don't lie.

The 20ks are really light. Almost insanely light. When it's on you, it's hard to see the difference vs the CLs. I'm sure though after a game though, the CLs will still be insanely light.

Check out the AX1s. I'm fairly stocky, so a M didn't seem to cover as much as I'd like. But damn they felt so good.

Tried on the AX1's. Hated them. Damn near ripped my ears off pulling it on and off. Annoyed the hell out of me. Not to mention the instantaneous pinching I had at the corner where my A-Cup manboobs and armpit met. lol. I also felt they were quite bulky feeling and the mobility wasn't there.

As for the CCM CL's, yeah, they're light, but the flimsy protection worries me. Not to mention it didn't feel comfy at all. I felt like a robot trying to move side to side...like an individual piece rather than moving with you, so I felt the mobility sucked.

I originally was quite satisfied with the Bauer Supreme NXG. I wasn't too keen on the weight but I thought it was pretty comfy and the fit was really nice. If it was light like the 20K I would've been sold....then I tried the 20K's on and loved it
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #2203

Ah gotcha. Yeah the AX1s were snug, but I like tighter fitting pads as it feels like I'm wearing base layers. The holes in the protection department were a bit scary though.

I haven't tried them personally, but everything I've read say that the U Foam does a really good job at dispersing energy. So even though it may feel flimsy, it's possible that it's really good at protecting. If the CLs were a little flimsy, the CS are likely much better (if you can find your size).

I hated the NXGs lol. They were the ones I actually were most excited to try on, but everything just felt "cheap" if that makes sense. I have NXG shins which I love, but definitely not the same as the shoulders.

Looks like it's 20k for me!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #2204

I get what you mean about the NXG "cheap" feeling. It felt like it was a used piece that got washed a few times?? Dunno if that even sounds like a real description? hahaha

If CCM didn't cheap out on the plastic spine and center chest plastic trim I would've been more interested. I was able to bend the piece no prob where as the CL the same pieces were solid and wasn't bendable.. So I ended up ruling out CCM altogether

I've been super duper anal for the last year on gear selection as I've been slowly replacing my old gear. Hell I even gone to lower flexes on my new stick to get a more proper shooting form and being more effortless. I would sit there and look for problems on anything I try. I spent 3-4 hours trying on new skates just recently (pissed my buddy off..lol). But I need to know that my gear is the last thing on my mind while I'm playing. I'm no pro but if you say the 20K is your choice, I'm gonna say say HELL YA! Cause that's what I am getting...LOL
Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #2205

hahah I hear ya. I'm totally the same way. I research and lurk MSH forums before committing. I never understand people who buy gear only to flip it weeks later because "it just wasn't right". I like to keep my gear relatively for a long time (not decades, but I always look at stuff after about 5 years. I rushed my last shoulder pad purchase in 2008, and I've been waiting for a good time to get it replaced. Sisters ask what I wanted for Christmas. Honestly I had nothing in mind. Looked on my hockey bag and thought "well my shoulders are getting old" and never looked back hahah
Old 12-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #2206

Those people are more or less the ones who buy online and then realize "it just wasn't right" and also not knowing what to look for in gear. I'm like you as well...my gear is kept and used till it's no longer usable. All the stuff I replaced is from when I first transitioned from roller 6 years ago. My last pair of gloves was Bauer Vapor XX. Bought them on closeout when the XXX's got launched..lol The palms were completely destroyed that there wasn't any leather left..hahaha. Then last year my sister asked me what I wanted for Christmas as well and I told her I needed new gloves. Next day she calls me asking what size I am. I asked her where she was and she replies "Walmart"!!!

I told her to turn around and never walk into that aisle ever again...hahahha. She ended up pitching in and I got myself a pair of Bauer APX retail. Doesn't matter that some people think the retails are gimmicky VS Prostock. I'm super happy with them regardless.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #2207

LOL at least she called! Much better than asking for a return on the gift lol

APX retails are great! I actually like the palm better than the APX pros. That said with gloves nowadays I have 3 pairs of 4-rolls (Bauer). What I do now is rotate through them, then replace a palm once every 2-3 years. Since I put mesh gussets in I don't want to dump the gloves until the padding is falling out as I skate lol.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #2208
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Hoping someone will catch this, I need a goalie sub for a div 12 coast game tonight at 8:30pm @ richmond ice centre...you'll probably get quite a few decent looks.

msg/call 604-500-4657
Neomop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #2209
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Ask Chris Higgins lol
Just a little update.

I was at the Canucks reject store on Renfrew and Hastings where they sell all their old gear and sticks and I saw 2 Chris Higgins 2 piece sticks for sale. Both were Bauer APX shafts with the same exact blade.

I am going to venture a guess that I have some prostock blade. Might even be a Bauer prostocker.
Guess Kilinim was onto something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #2210
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Just a little update.

I was at the Canucks reject store on Renfrew and Hastings where they sell all their old gear and sticks and I saw 2 Chris Higgins 2 piece sticks for sale. Both were Bauer APX shafts with the same exact blade.

I am going to venture a guess that I have some prostock blade. Might even be a Bauer prostocker.
I could have told you it was a pro stock, as I have never heard of a retail "Higgins" curve lol.

On another note.. Are people going to post up pics of their Xmas hockey gear?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #2211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I could have told you it was a pro stock, as I have never heard of a retail "Higgins" curve lol.
I was thinking the same thing but just good to actually see it in the Canucks store. Thanks.

Quote:
On another note.. Are people going to post up pics of their Xmas hockey gear?
I didn't get anything yet, but I am eyeing some new gear that I will get either this week or come February when it is President's day sale.
Gotta get new pants, and gloves as well as a new helmet and maybe, just maybe a cage.

If anyone is interested, looks like Sport Check has a lot of older high end sticks on sale. Bauer Nexus 1000 for $140.
Easton Mako's for $120.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #2212
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Just a little update.

Haha I knew it. Anything worthwhile checking out there? I have some 13" 11k gloves I've used about 10 times I don't need anymore if you're interested.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #2213

I'm a 14" guy.
I have retail SE16's that I just might repalm instead. =(
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #2214

Check out sports2k.com
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #2215

If you need a local repalm you can go to Scoffs. They get their products from Nash out in Peterborough, where I got my first repalm done (excellent work out of Nash). Whole whack of different palms. I settled eventually with nash as digital was a bit thin and too grippy. One thing I always get are mesh gussets. A must I think on every glove Nash and gussets came up to 80. Nash palms plus labour usually is 50-60 iirc.

As for Christmas gear- I finally pulled the trigger on new 20k shoulders. 136 at Sport Chek. Stacked a Team Assist coupon for an extra 20% for a grand total of 109 plus taxes. A steal considering the MSRP (189.99). Spent an hour making sure I wanted those and not the 18k/AX1/Mako.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #2216
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i went to sportchek a few days ago during its sale and i saw they were selling the rbk 8k pumps for 180 (regular price 400) i also saw the 10k but they did not have my size

anyone have reviews on these skates? i do believe they are the 2011 model.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #2217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
i went to sportchek a few days ago during its sale and i saw they were selling the rbk 8k pumps for 180 (regular price 400) i also saw the 10k but they did not have my size

anyone have reviews on these skates? i do believe they are the 2011 model.
I don't have one as I don't fit Reebok skates. That said, every single person I know who had pump skates had the pump fail over the life of the skates. So if you do get them, make sure they fit you well without the pump. If the pump helps you get a better fit, look elsewhere imo.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #2218
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

the pumps do fit me pretty well, just better with the pump but i believe i read somewhere that they did fix the pump issue from the earlier years.

i tried on the bauer one80 and the ccm UL and they didnt fit me (way too narrow for my liking)
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #2219
retired

Just placed my order for this new Warrior Ritual G2 set. Tried on the demo pair at the Hockey Shop. Couldn't resist.

Can't wait until these arrive.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #2220
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
I guess this is the best place to post, but anybody know where I can donate old adult-sized skates in/close to Richmond? I have two pairs from when I first started playing and I got consignment/used skates.

I know I could probably give em to Sports Junkies or the other one in Kerrisdale, but I never go out in that area and wouldn't make a trip just to drop off my skates.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #2221
retired

Perhaps go on Hockey Community and put a post on there. I'm sure someone would scoop em up.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #2222

Henrik Zetterberg's ax1 gloves looked sick in ep 3 of 24/7. Pumped to get my pair of pro stock flyers pants soon!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post

Just placed my order for this new Warrior Ritual G2 set. Tried on the demo pair at the Hockey Shop. Couldn't resist.

Can't wait until these arrive.
Ugh that makes me so wet looking at them.

Which glove break did you order? I'll slowly make my way out there this week to check them out. Can't wait!

Quote:
the pumps do fit me pretty well, just better with the pump but i believe i read somewhere that they did fix the pump issue from the earlier years.

i tried on the bauer one80 and the ccm UL and they didnt fit me (way too narrow for my liking)
If they fit you without the pump, then it's a good deal. I think Reebok meant that they fixed the pump issue from earlier skates in the current line. I'm not sure if the 2011 generation got the fix. But at that price it's worth taking a chance imo.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #2224

Quote:

IMO, pumps are gimmicky. Worked on me when I was 10 with the shoes, not so much 20 yrs later..lol. But AFAIK Eastons and RBK fit wider. Bauer ONE.8(replacement of ONE80) has a wider heel to lock your heel in place (more of a natural fit). I tried the CCM on b4 and it hurt my foot pretty bad not to mention it wasn't the comfiest boot on the market. If the RBK is discounted that deeply, then go for it. But don't be enticed by price alone as fit is still very important. No point in buying something cause its cheap only to not fit properly and give you future problems (lacebite,blisters, pressure points, etc)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #2225
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Ugh that makes me so wet looking at them.

Which glove break did you order? I'll slowly make my way out there this week to check them out. Can't wait!
75 break for the trapper. I figure I'd go something neutral.

Trust me, once you try these... the rest is history. They make my Reebok P3's feel like bricks.