REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #2426
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^ haha good to meet you too. I figured us RS goalies are few and far between. I'm not going to lie- us being Asian it only made sense that we both lurked GSBB and RS at the same time hahaha

When are you going to pick up the rest of the Warrior set? I wish they fit better because they sure are sweet pads.
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #2427
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Rockey Sport Heated Ice Hockey Equipment Dryer UK - Hockey Training Aid

Im probably gonna make this, pretty cheap with all the materials from Rona:
Homemade hockey gear rack - YouTube

Get this: Rocket Sport Dryer - The Hockey Shop Source for Sports | Hockey Equipment by Bauer, CCM, Warrior, Reebok, Vaughn, Brians, Gongshow, NHL, Goalie

You can dry your stuff AND store your gear.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #2428

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
^ haha good to meet you too. I figured us RS goalies are few and far between. I'm not going to lie- us being Asian it only made sense that we both lurked GSBB and RS at the same time hahaha

When are you going to pick up the rest of the Warrior set? I wish they fit better because they sure are sweet pads.
I'm waiting for the black/white blocker to come in, then in the next month or 2 I will get the pads. I'm switching gear colors and want the PRO pads. So it'll take a bit given that's about another $1200 I need to invest in LOL
Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
I'm waiting for the black/white blocker to come in, then in the next month or 2 I will get the pads. I'm switching gear colors and want the PRO pads. So it'll take a bit given that's about another $1200 I need to invest in LOL
haha nice. I already have buyer's regret for my custom set. But every time I look at the picture again I quickly forget how much I paid lol
Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #2430

oh $HIT You went custom?! lol.

Then just cancel it! Not like they made it yet! Shop around for the right sizes!! TGC has really good ones too....They have a schneider spec that's super soft or a price spec with custom stuff on it.....

Don't jump the gun so quick bro!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #2431

Ah I already called around Canada. No one offered a 32+2 EX500 at intermediate pricing. Not Rod at TGC, not Dukes, not Just for Goalies, no one. And if I'm going to pay for Sr level 32's, I might as well go full custom.

So to get what I want I had to go custom. Plus like I said before, the price was too good to turn down!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #2432

OHHHHHH riiiight....intermediate's WAY cheaper than senior.

LUCKY YOU T__T
Old 05-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #2433

Edit: thought I should post my new matching gloves:

Last edited by m3thods; 05-21-2014 at 10:50 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #2434

Played my first game with the G2 glove and P4 pro C/a last night.

reviews on the G2 senior glove up on GSBB!

I liked the P4....but found the shoulder floaters a bit fussy. The body and arms were great though. So I guess more modding of gear....
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #2435
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Nice my gloves are just waiting for pickup at point Roberts. Can't wait. I held off on the p4 chesty. Thx for your guy's input. Obvs pro spec would be ideal but realistically I'm not playing a very advanced level and pretty much anything would be an upgrade on my current one55 unit which isn't even really THAT bad for my purposes to be honest
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Nice my gloves are just waiting for pickup at point Roberts. Can't wait. I held off on the p4 chesty. Thx for your guy's input. Obvs pro spec would be ideal but realistically I'm not playing a very advanced level and pretty much anything would be an upgrade on my current one55 unit which isn't even really THAT bad for my purposes to be honest
Just a note on low-level vs high-level hockey:

I generally play goalie in a lower skill-level drop-in. I have played with people with some pop in their shots. Here are my thoughts on goalie equipment:
  • A puck in the wrong spot will hurt you, regardless of pro vs sr level equipment and regardless of the skill level of the guy shooting. With (most) Sr level equipment, there are more "spots" to get tagged just due to lower standards of materials and construction. Or the senior level pad will just break down faster than it's pro-level counterpart.
  • A puck hurts regardless of speed still hurts when you get caught in a bad spot. A heavy shooter will do more damage, but pucks at lower velocity can still do some nasty bruising.
  • As much as it sounds like we're being gear snobs, we're totally serious about spending a bit more on pro-level equipment (for some pieces, not everything) to mitigate most of the risk playing goal. If you think about it, we're playing a position where people hammer a hard, heavy rubber disk at you. It's your job to stop/get in the way of said puck. Getting the most protection is in your best interest.
  • IMO, the places to NOT skimp out on when playing goal are helmet, C/A, jock, and skates. The latter is less important, but who wants to be in pain every time you play. The first 3 though would be in yoru best interst to have the best protection that allows you to still have fun. Everything else you can totally skimp out on, especially leg pads. People always spend tons on leg pads at the expense of more important pieces of equipment. Big mistake.
  • If you can't afford a brand-new pro C/A there are two options: save for a bit longer, or buy used. The latter is good as you'll be getting a broken-in unit. And assuming it's in good shape, it will be plenty good for our level of hockey.
  • You'll be happy knowing you got a pro-level pad, as you will be more protected, and you won't have to wonder how much better and protective it is if you went the Sr route.

I understand that there are some very good C/As at the senior price level that perform really well (the new Bauers come to mind). But if you can swing an older close-out pro pad at a slightly higher cost, that will almost always be a better place for your buck.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #2437
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanks definitely appreciate that. I totally get the bang for buck improvement of pro level gear. My ps2 leg pads are built way better than my old mid level pads ever were. I'll keep on the lookout for deals on c/a's. Also trying hard to fight the urge to gear whore, because once i go down that route there's no turning back.

At my level if I know a guy can pepper it I'll just get out of the way
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #2438

I would like to chime in as well, given that I've only been at the position for about 10 combined months.

M3thod is correct. C/A, mask and jocks are the most important pieces. Don't skimp on them.

Another one, would be KNEE PROTECTORS. they may be uncomfortable, or bulky, but you NEED THEM. No one here is CLOSE to pro level skill or technique. You WILL open up the knees sooner or later. Get something to protect them. I had a shot there back in the summer and I had to get CARRIED OFF THE ICE.

Get pro gear when you can. They fit and move better outside of protection because of the materials used are different. And more durable.

The biggest mistake I made was to cheap out here and there, only to find out I ended up having to shell out pro level money for gear again.

That being said....I DO have a large pro level C/A for sale. So for anyone looking and don't want to pay that high high price for one, come talk to me!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #2439

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Thanks definitely appreciate that. I totally get the bang for buck improvement of pro level gear. My ps2 leg pads are built way better than my old mid level pads ever were. I'll keep on the lookout for deals on c/a's. Also trying hard to fight the urge to gear whore, because once i go down that route there's no turning back.

At my level if I know a guy can pepper it I'll just get out of the way
You play goal because you have to stay in front of a guy that can pepper it. At the same time, not having to fear it. If you do, then you shouldn't play goal. honestly.

Most beginner goalies underestimate the amount of expectations and pressure players have on goalies. Even at the entry level.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #2440

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
I would like to chime in as well, given that I've only been at the position for about 10 combined months.

M3thod is correct. C/A, mask and jocks are the most important pieces. Don't skimp on them.

Another one, would be KNEE PROTECTORS. they may be uncomfortable, or bulky, but you NEED THEM. No one here is CLOSE to pro level skill or technique. You WILL open up the knees sooner or later. Get something to protect them. I had a shot there back in the summer and I had to get CARRIED OFF THE ICE.

Get pro gear when you can. They fit and move better outside of protection because of the materials used are different. And more durable.

The biggest mistake I made was to cheap out here and there, only to find out I ended up having to shell out pro level money for gear again.

That being said....I DO have a large pro level C/A for sale. So for anyone looking and don't want to pay that high high price for one, come talk to me!
The only reason I left knee protectors is because that's such a personal preference thing. I wouldn't go out without them (I can't imagine playing without knee pads- people who do are CRAZY!). But there's still a large number of people who would prefer to use the included thigh/knee guards instead.

And about gear whoring- I've been playing for a year (most of which with hand-me-down equipment). It really allowed me to dial in my wants in goalie equipment. Thanks to that, I will soon have a set that should last me a long time (shoddy construction aside). Gear especially for goalies requires so much break in time (and money) that it really doesn't allow you to whore like you would as a player (which I'm guilty of from time to time lol).
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #2441

I used to use thigh guards until I got a puck to the knee with it. I even wear thick volleyball pads underneath.

I will never EVER use them again.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #2442

Yep plus I find the integreated thigh/knee guards hinder pad movement big time. Way better investment to get separate knee guards. I'm not sure why some guys insist on going bare still.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #2443

this will be here in 1.5 weeks.............

much excite....

Warrior Ritual G2 Pro Classic Goalie Blocker [Senior] | Total Goalie Equipment
Old 05-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #2444

^Where'd you buy it from? And I'm guessing you got a matching one to your glove?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #2445
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

https://www.facebook.com/AbbotsfordH...52411560144547

Some of those prices are ridiculous.
pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #2446
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Wonder what I can get for sticks at 75bux
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #2447
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Someone who lives close to abbotsford check what stick they have

Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 05-23-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #2448
RS controls my life!

How much are those stick going to be?
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #2449

Wow that sale looks awesome. Too bad I'm a tiny Asian so none of that stuff will fit lol
Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #2450

Oh fuck me! Most of those would TOTALLY FIT ME....

And yes m3thod....the blocker matches the glove! Pads coming soon.....hur hur