REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #451
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
This thread is intense..horry shit lol

I just picked up an 85 flex s17 cuz it was on sale at sport check... first time not using a 110 flex for a while. Don't have to put as much effort into snap shots, but I'm afraid to take a clapper lol... will have to wait to put a blade into my se16 to get back into slappers.

Also.. need some need elbow pads for the first time in 7 years :s what do those run now adays
Advertisement
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #452
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I'm also looking to get a stick but my question is should I get a wood or cheap (<$100) composite?

I'm beginner so no slappers for me just yet. I also play D if that makes a difference. I want to be able to shoot wristers and pass on the forehand and backhand.

Currently have a sherwood 85flex coffey stick and a bauer x50 87flex backstrom.
I'm trying to find something without a huge curve like my current sticks.

The only thing I've found is the Warrior sticks with lidstrom curve but they don't have a cheap wood option for me to try.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #453
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Its getting harder and harder to find wood sticks now, cause some of the low end composites are about the same price as wood sticks.

If you want a straighter blade take a look at

Bauer: P88(kane), PM9(stamkos)
Easton: Iginla, Zetterberg

but keep in mind the Stamkos and Zetterberg are a lower Lie than the other two.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #454
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I don't get it. Why are noobs willing to drop $250+ on sticks hoping to improve their shot when they never had one to begin with? Take that money and go take a power skating course. I don't mean the one at Britannia either, that one is garbage. The ones at 8rinks are worth every penny. I've taken 3 at 8rinks and they improved me more than any stick or skate I have ever bought. If I wasn't playing ashl wknd league, I'd go take another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Also.. need some need elbow pads for the first time in 7 years :s what do those run now adays
$30 - $150
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #455
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Marketing is working
silly newbs
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
I don't get it. Why are noobs willing to drop $250+ on sticks hoping to improve their shot when they never had one to begin with? Take that money and go take a power skating course. I don't mean the one at Britannia either, that one is garbage. The ones at 8rinks are worth every penny. I've taken 3 at 8rinks and they improved me more than any stick or skate I have ever bought. If I wasn't playing ashl wknd league, I'd go take another one.
Cool! I didn't know they had classes like this. I've been looking for beginner adult classes but google only came up with kids classes. Do they run these year round? What other rinks do these kinds of lessons?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
Cool! I didn't know they had classes like this. I've been looking for beginner adult classes but google only came up with kids classes. Do they run these year round? What other rinks do these kinds of lessons?
Canlan Ice Sports Burnaby 8 Rinks - Adult

SWEET!! Looks like they have way more time slots these days!!
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #458
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
I'm also looking to get a stick but my question is should I get a wood or cheap (<$100) composite?

I'm beginner so no slappers for me just yet. I also play D if that makes a difference. I want to be able to shoot wristers and pass on the forehand and backhand.

The only thing I've found is the Warrior sticks with lidstrom curve but they don't have a cheap wood option for me to try.
I would skip the wooden stick option unless you are able to find a high end wooden stick.
Look for some of the mid level composite sticks or look for some of the season end sales or year end clean up which we just had the last 2 months.
If a $100 stick is on sale for $50, that is not a bad buy. A $200+ stick for $100ish like the one95 at SC is a really good deal. Skip the $50 regularly priced sticks as those are meant to be the bottom of the barrel for a reason.

When I switched to my Warrior Macdaddy's, they were on clearance because they were being replaced.

One more thing, based on what I see from you, I think you can benefit from a 77 flex stick. You may be a little too tall/heavy to use a 65 flex intermediate though.

JKam, I forget, which way do you shoot? I'm thinking you are a righty right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
One more thing, based on what I see from you, I think you can benefit from a 77 flex stick. You may be a little too tall/heavy to use a 65 flex intermediate though.

JKam, I forget, which way do you shoot? I'm thinking you are a righty right?
I'll probably skip getting a new stick until mine breaks. Spend the money on power skating classes so Bang doesn't yell at me hahaha.

I shoot right, not that I shoot often haha. I'll talk to you about it more when I see you at our next game together.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #460
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:

I would get a mid level shaft so you can play with different blade options in terms of curves and lies. This way you aren't stuck with a curve you don't like.. You can always adapt to diff curves, but if you are starting out, you will go through many curves and weigh the pro and cons of diff ones. Even now, I have switched between 3 diff curves in the last year.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #461

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
Quote:
Skip the $50 regularly priced sticks as those are meant to be the bottom of the barrel for a reason.
For a total beginner, does it make a big difference? I recently started playing ice hockey (but can skate and have played street/roller hockey before so somewhat experienced at puck handling) and I use a $50 regular price stick. What kind of benefits would I get in getting a nicer stick?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #462
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
For a total beginner, does it make a big difference? I recently started playing ice hockey (but can skate and have played street/roller hockey before so somewhat experienced at puck handling) and I use a $50 regular price stick. What kind of benefits would I get in getting a nicer stick?
imo, nicer stick = under 200 dollar lightweight stick, nice material, better stickhandling. Most 50 dollar sticks are heavy to me even when its cut down.
Posted via RS Mobile
Helga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #463
RS Veteran

Quote:
total beginners can get whatever they want... it is their money... what is the mid level line now, was the top end a few years ago, so really, they can't be that bad. with that said, just don't get a 200 dollar stick thinking it will make you shoot great right away. also, because you are just starting out and testing what works for you, it just doesn't make sense to buy a 200+ dollar twig just to find something else you like a few months later.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #464

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
Ya, I just don't wanna be a poseur n00b that isn't very good but plays with a $200 stick lol. But I do play with the lowest end Nike Bauer stick (One20? One15?) coz it was the cheapest, dunno if I would benefit from something around $80-$100.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 10-14-2011 at 08:39 AM.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #465
RS Veteran

Quote:
Ya, I just don't wanna be a poseur n00b that isn't very good but plays with a $200 stick lol. But I do play with the lowest end Nike Bauer stick (One20? One15?) coz it was the cheapest, dunno if I would benefit from something around $80-$100.
u may or may not benefit from it.. BUT I am warning you now, if you go high end, you will never be able to go back... So be prepared to be spending 200 bucks on sticks for life lol. Your low ened NB stick will seem like a 20 lb dumbbell after you play with the high end sticks
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #466
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Canlan Ice Sports Burnaby 8 Rinks - Adult

SWEET!! Looks like they have way more time slots these days!!
I'll definitely second this. Taking my third classes there, for puckhandling, and it's really helping me! It's kind of annoying that there isn't a class that focus on powerskating without the puck, as I've already taken the level 1 powerskating and hockey skills twice but I don't know if I should move up to level 2 yet. That aside, I'm wondering if I should take a Game Situations and Techniques lesson?

Also, last time I grabbed a pair of composite sticks for $50, I regretted the decision immensely. Even my senior-sized wooden sticks for ball hockey were miles lighter and better puck feeling than those. Definitely look out for the mid-/high-end sticks on sales if you can find one your size. (Which in my experience is pretty much near impossible for my size until I can shoot with a 100 flex stick.)
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #467
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
u may or may not benefit from it.. BUT I am warning you now, if you go high end, you will never be able to go back... So be prepared to be spending 200 bucks on sticks for life lol. Your low ened NB stick will seem like a 20 lb dumbbell after you play with the high end sticks
this is true. I was one who said "oh yeah I'll just use my equipment until it all falls apart". Slowly everything is being replaced with closeout top of the line stuff, most recently my pants, stick, and skates.

One thing I do though to save is get a high-end shaft/blade combo, as I almost exclusively break blades. If I were to break a TO or APX one piece, I think I'd cry. Buying 70 dollar blades is much more economical- and although I can definitely feel the difference between the 2 piece and top end one pieces with the OPSs being better, the benefit isn't worth the extra cost
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYClovis View Post
Which in my experience is pretty much near impossible for my size until I can shoot with a 100 flex stick.
You were at Epic Hockey night 2 right?
I think I remember which guy you were. Are you sure you should be using a 100 flex stick? Other than BlueG2, I don't remember seeing anyone tall/heavy enough to be using a 100 flex. Heck, even I use a 77 flex cut down to about 84 flex.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #469
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
I think I remember which guy you were. Are you sure you should be using a 100 flex stick? Other than BlueG2, I don't remember seeing anyone tall/heavy enough to be using a 100 flex. Heck, even I use a 77 flex cut down to about 84 flex.
Until I can shoot with a 100 flex stick, I'm sticking with my nice 65 flex cut down to about 67-70. It's just quite annoying to see some of the best stick sales are senior sized at 85 and cutting them down to my length would mean they'd be 100+ flex. There are hardly good sales on good intermediate sticks and they also often have some of the smallest selections at retail stores- smaller than junior sticks I swear.
RAYClovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #470
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

go to sports exchange on burrard. tons of decent intermediate sticks there. thats where i bought my sticks until i started using senior flexes
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #471
RS Veteran

Quote:
And I use a 75 lol
Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #472
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYClovis View Post
Until I can shoot with a 100 flex stick, I'm sticking with my nice 65 flex cut down to about 67-70. It's just quite annoying to see some of the best stick sales are senior sized at 85 and cutting them down to my length would mean they'd be 100+ flex. There are hardly good sales on good intermediate sticks and they also often have some of the smallest selections at retail stores- smaller than junior sticks I swear.
Forcing yourself to learn to shoot a stiffer flex so you can get in on deals... you must be Chinese

Forget about buying in stores, go online and buy 1-2 year old closeout models. I can't justify spending $70-80 for just a blade, when for $20 more I can get a full stick.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #473
Banned By Establishment

Has anyone tried the new Easton Stealth RS stick yet? My S19 in 110 flex is still too "noodly" for one-timers.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Has anyone tried the new Easton Stealth RS stick yet? My S19 in 110 flex is still too "noodly" for one-timers.
How tall and how much do you weight?
And what is your skill level? Unless you are big Country, I can't imagine a rec player finding a 110 flex noodly feeling.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #475
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
How tall and how much do you weight?
And what is your skill level? Unless you are big Country, I can't imagine a rec player finding a 110 flex noodly feeling.
6'tree", 220. I played half a year in the bchl - defense, until I decided to get a real job I enjoy. Now I play rec/military hockey which is about junior B level without hitting. The 110 flex is awesome for snap shots, just a little flex and BAM! Off the glass behind the goalie.

Not too many reviews yet of the Easton RS yet.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote