REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #1626
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It's essentially the same boot anyway; but I did find the X7.0's tongue to be stiffer. Either way if it fits, both skates are solid deals. They're equivalent in quality to the current X90 ($600 skate) but with a more reliable holder.
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #1627
My homepage has been set to RS

Cool! Good to know. Gonna check out the X7.0 on Thursday. They do come with new steel, laces, etc.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #1628
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

what size are you? Getting surgery to remove screws out of my leg so I'll be out of hockey for awhile. Selling some of my gear. Either have used Apx skates for sale or brand new apx2 skates for sale depending which ones I want to keep
Posted via RS Mobile
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #1629

I wear 8-8.5D. Like I said though, I don't want to spend too much money and doubt you'd want to let your APX's go for like $220 haha.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #1630
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
i need some advice from my fellow RSers who both rollerblade and iceskate. Ive been rollerblading for 15+ years and id say im pretty fast when im playing roller hockey. But when it comes to Ice im pretty average. Ive been skating for about 5years and im not reeally happy about my speed. Is there anything i can do to help with it? or is rollerblading just faster than ice skating....... I use a 5/8 cut on my skate blade.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #1631
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
i need some advice from my fellow RSers who both rollerblade and iceskate. Ive been rollerblading for 15+ years and id say im pretty fast when im playing roller hockey. But when it comes to Ice im pretty average. Ive been skating for about 5years and im not reeally happy about my speed. Is there anything i can do to help with it? or is rollerblading just faster than ice skating....... I use a 5/8 cut on my skate blade.

5/8 is pretty shallow as is... It could be that roller hockey players, for the most part, aren't the cream of the crop hockey players therefore your 15 yrs of experience is monumental compared to most players out there...

It's probably in your head that you aren't "as fast" on ice, because you may be playing against people who are better skaters than you are on ice.

Your ice skating should be far more faster than inline. There's no way you can skate a lap around the rink faster in inline than ice (while being on your feet the whole time).

I am far faster on ice than I am on rollerblades.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #1632
UFO

Skating technique is way more important on ice than inlines. The first 2-3 strides is huge for ice, roller not so much since you have so much more time and space to wind up your speed.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #1633
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Skating technique is way more important on ice than inlines. The first 2-3 strides is huge for ice, roller not so much since you have so much more time and space to wind up your speed.
Also with inline, you tend to be more upright because of the way the skates/wheel setup is.. I don't like it.. Maybe I just haven't experienced an inline chassis with a decent foreward pitch that promotes knee and hip bend. I think this will be my last year playing roller.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #1634
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I think this will be my last year playing roller.
I could have sworn you said that 10 years ago
Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #1635
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I could have sworn you said that 10 years ago
Yea but this may be for serious, since inline is harder on my body these days. Groin gets sore, and hip flexors hate it!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #1636

I'm surprised none of you mentioned proper fitting skates as a proper size will allow you to dig your toes into the ice on your first 3 strides. You should be at top speed within your first 3-4 steps. Secondly, playing 15 yrs of roller, I bet you have a lot of bad skating habits, none will help you on ice. Took me the past few years(a lot from power skating) to rid of my bad habits from roller and even though my skating on roller has gone to shits these days I'm glad my ice skating is far more superior.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #1637
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Yea but this may be for serious, since inline is harder on my body these days. Groin gets sore, and hip flexors hate it!
I'm the same, have to play in Core shorts or else my groin complains the day after. And roller is super hard on my bad knee too. I just play less roller, still enjoy the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
I'm surprised none of you mentioned proper fitting skates as a proper size will allow you to dig your toes into the ice on your first 3 strides. You should be at top speed within your first 3-4 steps. Secondly, playing 15 yrs of roller, I bet you have a lot of bad skating habits, none will help you on ice.
Kind of assumed skates would be proper fitting. You speak truth on bad skating habits and technique with roller though, roller allows the player to be lazy with technique and get away with it.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #1638

Picked up the X7.0 for $200 today, pretty stoked! They fit perfectly and were in great condition, so I got a steal. I have to wait until Tuesday to try them out though
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #1639

my newest whore item

Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #1640
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
my newest whore item

Posted via RS Mobile
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #1641
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
my newest whore item

Posted via RS Mobile
WARNING!

I own a pair of APX and they make you skate TOO fast. I can only assume that these ones will make you even faster. They made me so fast that this happened:

BEWARE

SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #1642

lol. I broke my tibia + fib last year with my Apx skates. Titanium rod and 4 screws in my tibia. These skate s need a bone breaking warning
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #1643
UFO

Markus naslund called, he wants his xray back haha
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #1644
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Nasty break!
Damn.....

Anyway, I've never owned a new pair of gloves. My old Bauers were too small and I never quite liked them. But hey, I'm a goalie. Who needs gloves, right?

I've spent the last few weeks playing out as a forward, and needless to say I'm really liking it. So I went to the hockey shop and bought the gloves that I've always wanted.

I'm really pleased with the gloves. They fit awesome, and protect like gloves should. Plus they look sweet. Next up, a Base stick fitting. I'm on the treadmill today, and will do the Base thing after that.

awesome.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #1645
Need to Seek Professional Help

^ dang those are soo niiice.
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #1646
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Thanks man!
I lusted over them for the last year and finally got off the wallet the other day. Getting a lot of compliments on the vintage brown too. One buddy was shocked that they were new technology and not throw aways from the 60's.

Your avatar reminds me of Jakub Voracek's 599. Or should I say, former 599?

He hit a truck in Kladno the other day.
I need to get to a comp to post the pics. Gimme a couple mins...
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #1647
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Thanks man!
I lusted over them for the last year and finally got off the wallet the other day. Getting a lot of compliments on the vintage brown too. One buddy was shocked that they were new technology and not throw aways from the 60's.

Your avatar reminds me of Jakub Voracek's 599. Or should I say, former 599?

He hit a truck in Kladno the other day.
I need to get to a comp to post the pics. Gimme a couple mins...
I assume the gloves are probably the most comfortable on the market eh?

Actually my avatar is a 599gtb and Jakubs is a Cali!
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #1648

Nice choice on the Eagles! Made in Canada and should last you quite a while. I've been a long time Eagle supporter
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #1649
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
i got me a pair of eagles last year after debating a year on buying them. best choice ever. most comfy gloves by far
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #1650
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Personal preference. Just find the length that makes you feel like you have the best of both. Try compromising a length in the middle (i.e. lips)?
Growing up, my stick was very short, like I can put my chin ontop of my gloves short.
As I got older, I started getting back pains from using such a short stick and when I got a new stick, I would cut them a little longer and longer and now the top of the stick is up to my lips when I am standing on skates.
First and foremost is preference. Use whatever it is that feels the best. I tried using a longer stick and a shorter stick and found my favourate. As for stick handling with a longer stick, I have no issues nor do I feel I have lost any of my stick handling abilities with a longer stick. 2 other guys on my team, really good players, use sticks that are up to their lips/nose so I don't think a longer stick will really affect your puck handling that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote