REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #2276
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i've got this one at work, it's at least about 5 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG2286-M.jpg (75.4 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #2277
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Cool Itechs!
I miss my old x-factors.

Nothing got past those, as they were 12.5-13" wide at some points. Heavy and bulky as hell though.

My daughter took this pic a couple weeks ago. I was in mid shuffle, or t-push. Or maybe I was just out of position
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #2278
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Paint those bad boys blue and you are almost half way to being Optimus Prime for Halloween.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #2279
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Today is President's day in the good ol US of A and there is a 20% code for Hockey Monkey. Anyone planning on making a purchase today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #2280
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I hate you right now.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #2281
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Nothing got past those, as they were 12.5-13" wide at some points. Heavy and bulky as hell though.

My daughter took this pic a couple weeks ago. I was in mid shuffle, or t-push. Or maybe I was just out of position
Spoiler!

nah prob just chillin

all white pads.. whyy
BLUETIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #2282
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
I think that all white pads help mess with the shooter visually. Tougher to focus on the open areas of the net because the white gear blends in better with the ice and boards. MAF changed his gear from bright yellow(remember those Reebok's?) to white pads because he was advised that the yellow pads stood out too much and helped the shooters pick where to shoot. As a shooter, when you're in a pinch and running out of space and time, your peripheral vision can still pick out the open areas better if the pads contrast strongly against the background. Most goalies in the NHL have been shying away from dark pads and bright, flashy pads.

I think this was something Patrick Roy used to his advantage a bit back when he had the Koho pads with the white five hole baiters. Obviously having that pad design wouldn't be a good idea if you were slow at closing the gap.
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #2283
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Today is President's day in the good ol US of A and there is a 20% code for Hockey Monkey. Anyone planning on making a purchase today?
I picked up a prostock rbz RNHcurve 2, hope its good! 130 with 20% off so pretty good deal
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #2284
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

What kind of mouth guard are you using? I tried an under armor one and I keep gaging with it. Even after I trimmed the back of it.

Ernie
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #2285
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moefoe81 View Post
What kind of mouth guard are you using? I tried an under armor one and I keep gaging with it. Even after I trimmed the back of it.

Ernie
Before i had my custom fit made I had a ton of problems with mouth guards. I tried under armor, tap out, a few higher end shock doctors. The I bought the shock doctor thats like 4.99 at sport chek and used it for 2 years. Its much smaller, and fits way better than any of the other ones I tried.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #2286

I'm currently using the $40 shock doctor and am having great success with it. I can't justify custom especially when wearing a cage already. My current one seems to eat up impacts just fine.

Have the goalies in here checked out the new Brians GNetik 5.0 stuff? GSBB seems to be saying that it's the absolute best value in pads right now. It's basically an off-shore pad one notch below the Pro GNetiks. I'm thinking I may just end up in those as much as I dream about pro pads, simply because I can get a full set for ~1400, which is the cost of new Ritual G2 leg pads lol
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #2287
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

should be great pads, especially if you like Brian's stuff. They'll be a little heavier and obviously not the same construction but they're priced in the right area. I looked at them on the Goalie Crease only had them in white..ugh.
#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #2288

The Chicago colourway is wetting my appetite.

Coming from V2s, I may find the 5.0's to be "super-light" hahahah

Now I can't wait for these to come out so I can check them at THS. Maybe I'll treat myself this Christmas. So many choices to debate
Old 02-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #2289
Banned By Establishment

If anyone sees a EK15 Rekker for less than $200 online in Canada please let me know.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #2290

re: white pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
I think that all white pads help mess with the shooter visually.
Spoiler!
yea yea, trying to gain a visual advantage for sure. i prefer white based pads too but imo pads need some flashy coloured stripes for sty lol
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #2291
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i tried using adult size but it was too big
so i went with a junior mouth guard and it fits perfect
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #2292

ModSquadHockey members seem to be all over these:

SISU Mouth Guards | Talk, Breathe, and Drink Easy

Personally I'm happy with mine. Those of you looking for a tighter fit might benefit from the site above.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #2293
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:

Nice jersey!
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #2294
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
I should get some new shin pads lol, I'm getting bad bruises from tier 9 Hockey. I'm wearing the same ones from when I was in Peewee. I'm 5'10 now, wearing 12" JR. shin guards. I've tried senior ones but they just seem too bulky.. Anyone have recommendations of a light and compact shin guard that isn't too pricey?
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #2295
Banned By Establishment

When I play hockey, never once have I had any leg bruises. Anyways, Bauer for me always makes top tier products.

I feel when playing any sports especially hockey, buying top of the line products only benefit players who have been playing for years and years. I buying equipment for fit and comfort.

Hockey Shin Guards
duc_evo_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #2296

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
I should get some new shin pads lol, I'm getting bad bruises from tier 9 Hockey. I'm wearing the same ones from when I was in Peewee. I'm 5'10 now, wearing 12" JR. shin guards. I've tried senior ones but they just seem too bulky.. Anyone have recommendations of a light and compact shin guard that isn't too pricey?
That's your issue.

Unfortunately all senior products are going to be "bulkier" than JR pads. In T9 you're not going to see too many hard shots that'll cause issues with most senior pads today.

If you insist on slim/cheap, check out the Stealth RS which are on closeout now, or lower tier CCM shins, are are probably the slimmest profile shins I've see (Easton imo generally is, but the new CCM stuff is pretty slim).

Otherwise, I suggest trying a bunch on to see what's most comfortable. Keep in mind that depending on whether you tuck in your skate tongues or flop them out, the length of the pad will be different.

To be honest, unless you're getting old Jofas or Reeboks, shin pads aren't that bullky. It'll never get in the way of your skating, you'll get more protection, and current pads are so light compared to the old stuff that you shouldn't be feeling any "bulk" difference.

Anyways to each their own. I say bring your skates and try a bunch on.

This place locally will have the most selection: The Hockey Shop Shin Guards
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #2297
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
I'm just under 5' 9" and I am wearing 14". You'll most likely need 14 or 15" depending on whether you go tongues in or out.

The CCM U+ and Bauer Supreme lines are both narrow shins but look into entry or mid level pads for less bulk. Of the two I prefer the Supreme line because of the strap design. The top strap goes on the front instead of the back so the velcro doesn't rub on the back of your leg and you get a snugger fit.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #2298
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
I have a fairly wide butterfly, but I've noticed as well that it strains my hip significantly. Gonna work on narrowing it down, but in the heat of the moment when you're scrambling around the bottom of the net, tension on the hip/groin is pretty inevitable. It's not like I'm 45 either, I'm 21 and already feeling some of the effects of using the butterfly.

Ended up trading up to Reebok Series IIs. Only a 31" but they are very stiff and feel like a 32 compared to the much softer Brian's I had been using - the RBKs hold their size and height very well over time. I've found that getting used to the wider RBKs has been a much bigger adjustment than the height difference.

Also just picked up a pair of Don Simmons senior goal pants (got a great deal). Fits 32-38", much larger than my measurement, but they take up a lot more space and close up the gap between my thighs so I have no complaints. Can't wait to use them in game.

https://www.donsimmons.com/ecom/product/998
Saving a few extra shots per game in beer league isn't worth the anthroscopic knee and hip rebuild surgeries at 40. Stay limber, stretch but if you're getting this at 21, you may have impingement and should get an MRI on that stat.

ALSO. Narrow that fly down. It's probably not doing you any favors.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #2299
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

here
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #2300

^^^i notice there aren't many puckmarks on your gear hahaha