REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #2301
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I'm 5'7 and am using 15" CCM CL shin pads. But I also tuck the skate tongue under the shin pad.
But not all shin pads are the same. My last pair of Reeboks were 14"s and they fit fine but was a little tight around my knee.

I agree with m3thods. Look at some higher end stuff that is on discount. There might be some value there. Plus summer is coming so expect to see some good deals as some places may be looking at clearing out old stuff the new model year gear comes out.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #2302
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I know I needed a new helmet this summer. I was hoping my 11K would last long enough till the new model comes out and I could save some money buying the 11K at a discounted price.
The plastic adjuster knob broke on my helmet, but other than that the helmet was still good.

Then came my last game. Going towards the boards for the pick, I lifted the other guy's stick and he reaches back with his skate and slew foots me causing me to fall hard on my head. The helmet did it's job and I was able to get up and skate away with only some discomfort in my neck.

Booo....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #2303
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'm 5'7 and am using 15" CCM CL shin pads. But I also tuck the skate tongue under the shin pad.
But not all shin pads are the same. My last pair of Reeboks were 14"s and they fit fine but was a little tight around my knee.

I agree with m3thods. Look at some higher end stuff that is on discount. There might be some value there. Plus summer is coming so expect to see some good deals as some places may be looking at clearing out old stuff the new model year gear comes out.
5'6 using 14" Easton s19 shins (which are amazing, by the way). Bring in your skates like already mentioned and expect say a 14" will not be the same across the board. Some brands will consider their 13" a junior such as Easton and CCM/Reebok while others are senior so they will be a discrepancy with the width/fit/strap length and etc.

Something to consider would be the Intermediate line that Warrior created (which makes so much sense!) which you can find still in a 14/15" but will be more of a streamlined fit. Depending on your calf size you may have an issue with the strap length. Friend of a friend told me that Richmond Centre SC should have them in the AX1 model...hope that helps!
Posted via RS Mobile
YzerWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #2304
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUETIGER View Post
^^^i notice there aren't many puckmarks on your gear hahaha
^^I think he just got them lol
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #2305
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by #19 View Post
i've got this one at work, it's at least about 5 years old.
Wide stance, tight elbows, hands ready to go.
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUETIGER View Post
yea yea, trying to gain a visual advantage for sure. i prefer white based pads too but imo pads need some flashy coloured stripes for sty lol
I've always had some color with my pads, but the problem I found is that playing for two or three different teams, you get a lot of color combos for jerseys. My HNA team is blue/white, ashl Langley team was red/black, and ashl Burnaby is green/white.

Black hands, and all white pads are just easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Nice jersey!
Thanks bro!
See you tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
^^I think he just got them lol
hahahaha, seriously though;
Danny can stop pucks.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #2306
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
For goalies that play in different leagues for different teams throughout the year, you could look at padskinz. Non permanent way of changing the colours of your pads.
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #2307

I finally pulled the trigger on those clearance 11k's on Goaliemonkey. A few shots to the stomach where my chestie and pants meet were the last straw.

The only thing I wished for was for me to act when it was 25% on Black Friday That said I think they got cheaper now, so with the current coupon code it's about the same price (I remember pricing them out to 300 after exchange and tax last November).

Now May just needs to come so I can check out the new GNetik 5.0s. THS has the Ritual G2 offshore sample in store. It looks and feels EXACTLY the same as the custom. I just don't know how they will hold up in the long run. That said, I guess that's what everyone in non-custom P4s/CCMs are worried about since they moved all offshore.

hypa- you still in the SubZeros? iirc they were 33+? I was wondering how tall you are, and your ATK/FTK? I don't want to be a dork and try on pads months before actually purchasing. Also, it'll give me an idea on what size I'd need to expedite the purchasing process lol
Old 02-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #2308
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Wide stance, tight elbows, hands ready to go.
Nice!

I've always had some color with my pads, but the problem I found is that playing for two or three different teams, you get a lot of color combos for jerseys. My HNA team is blue/white, ashl Langley team was red/black, and ashl Burnaby is green/white.

Black hands, and all white pads are just easier.

Thanks bro!
See you tomorrow!

hahahaha, seriously though;
Danny can stop pucks.

Just get 3 sets of gear! Hahaha

Yea Danny is solid
Posted via RS Mobile
BLUETIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #2309
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

anyone have experience with these?

Skate Fenders - Full Prol
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #2310

^Nope. What league are you playing in, out of curiosity?

The reason I ask is, from my experience, is that there are only a handful of people in beer league that can shoot the puck and break a foot. I've taken a number of shots off my skates (x60s) and aside from stingers, there hasn't been any structural damage. I guess this would add to the safety factor, but I'm not sure they're worth it. Maybe I'm wrong.

What skate are you in?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #2311
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
anyone have experience with these?

Skate Fenders - Full Prol
I bought a pair from The Hockey Shop and I am trying to get used to them still. It's worth it if you can get used to it but on my 7.5D skate I find the S/M size is pushing the width in a bit. The Large felt too big.

Quote:

The reason I ask is, from my experience, is that there are only a handful of people in beer league that can shoot the puck and break a foot. I've taken a number of shots off my skates (x60s) and aside from stingers, there hasn't been any structural damage. I guess this would add to the safety factor, but I'm not sure they're worth it. Maybe I'm wrong.

What skate are you in?
I was playing in a lower tier last year and I blocked shot off my foot. It wasn't a particularly hard shot but it just hit me in the wrong place. I tried playing through it but the pain was too much to skate. I stayed on the bench for the rest of the game (only 10 minutes left) before taking off my skate and my ankle immediately swelled up.

I went to get it checked out right after the game and fortunately nothing was broken. I was on crutches for a week though.

Mind you I was wearing a Total One skate, one of the stiffest boots available but it's not going to protect you from impact.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #2312

Quote:

What skate are you in?
Just rec hockey for me. I've taken some real beatings to my ankles so these caught my attention. I'm using Bauer X7
Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
I bought a pair from The Hockey Shop and I am trying to get used to them still. It's worth it if you can get used to it but on my 7.5D skate I find the S/M size is pushing the width in a bit. The Large felt too big.
Do you mean they fit loose?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #2314
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
So when's the next epic hockey....???
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #2315
x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
So when's the next epic hockey....???
reserve some ice and let us know when?
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #2316

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
Do you mean they fit loose?
The width of the Large sized one fit better but the length looked too long. I couldn't decide which to get so I just stuck by the size chart S/M = 4-7.5
Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #2317
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Where do you guys get your skates sharpened? I'll be moving back to Vancouver shortly and am looking for a consistent sharpen. There's always the Adrenalin Source for Sports/Cyclone Taylor kind of places, but then there's Professional Skate Service/Winsport in Calgary. I'm looking for something similar.
pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #2318

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmed View Post
Where do you guys get your skates sharpened? I'll be moving back to Vancouver shortly and am looking for a consistent sharpen. There's always the Adrenalin Source for Sports/Cyclone Taylor kind of places, but then there's Professional Skate Service/Winsport in Calgary. I'm looking for something similar.
Darren or Brian @ Cyclones on Oak are my go to.

I've heard good things about Skater's Edge in Coquitlam as well. They specialize mostly in figure skates but they do hockey as well.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #2319

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Sportschek is the place to go. I've used those coupons from the team assist package for FREE skate sharpening for a year already!
Posted via RS Mobile
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #2320
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Lol sportchek is not the place to go for sharpenings
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #2321
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I like going ice level in Richmond or marine drive sport chek(they actually do a pretty good job)
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #2322

The hockey shop is having a sale on their goalie demo gear on March 7th. There's some good deals. I'm sooooooo tempted to get a set of white pro Warrior Ritual pads..

Last edited by RevYouUp; 02-27-2014 at 08:48 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #2323

I sharpen my goalie skates for free at Sport Chek using TA. Since I don't mind extra sharp, it works for me. I would never ever drop my player skates there though. I go to THS since it's on my way home. They are bang on 90% of the time. But that 10% though. Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating death.

I got my 11k chesty home today. Man are the arms stiff. Compared to my old Vaughn V2 it's night and day. That said, the protection is far and away superior on the Reebok. The rib protection alone is worth the upgrade. I just hope my arms can get at least half as mobile as the outgoing Vaughns otherwise I'll have to remember not to move as much lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post

The hockey shop is having a sale on their goalie demo gear on March 7th. There's some good deals. I'm sooooooo tempted to get a set of white pro Warrior Ritual pads..
Any other deals you're aware of? Is this word of mouth or is there a list somewhere?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #2324

There's a player demo sale as well

https://www.facebook.com/events/2527...84aa3acbf52537

https://www.facebook.com/events/1428...ilter=upcoming
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2014, 04:20 AM   #2325

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Darren or Brian @ Cyclones on Oak are my go to.

I've heard good things about Skater's Edge in Coquitlam as well. They specialize mostly in figure skates but they do hockey as well.
I know one if not both of those boys at cyclone used to work at sportchek.

Sportchek actually does a good job if you find someone that is consistent and always go to him. Sportchek gets scary Sometimes because of the turn over an and if you happen to get a rookie or someone that just sucks at sharpening.

Justin (asian guy short hair) at Richmond does a pretty consistent job, there is another fobby looking asian with longer hair and chubby cheeks that doesn't do a bad job either..
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote